NEWBIE: Egg vs. Lil Snoozy advice - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2014, 10:35 AM   #41

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
David, Are you going to go all electric with the Snoozy? I think that's important info for the original poster.
I will change over to propane & stick on flexible solar installed myself.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:49 AM   #42
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
You're right - I double checked and they don't have heaters. But I would think that a small portable heater would work fine in such a small unit.
For AC or electric heat you really need a site with electricity or a generator. Batteries really aren't practical for such high energy appliances. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:00 AM   #43
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Floyd, please define what you mean by Park model?
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:20 AM   #44

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Yeah he lost me on that one, too.

How much weight is too much for a mid size pickup or SUV? I realize all vehicles will be different, but for instance could I haul a 3,000 lb trailer with a S10 pickup, or a van, or a mid size SUV? I know nothing about hauling a trailer behind me. That is the main reason I am interested in the Egg Camper and Lil Snoozy - I am pretty confident I can haul them with just about any vehicle. Don't need or want a gas hog! And I am a simple person, I don't need a lot of luxuries and amenities.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #45

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Anything bigger than what he has.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #46

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
It was a metaphor to evoke an exaggerated image implying that the trailer was too heavy to travel comfortably with "a small pickup or SUV" and therefore more suited to stay in one place for an extended time.

A literal "Parkmodel' is a little prefab house which is commonly brought in by truck to a camping resort with the intent of providing a vacation home for those who stay at the same place each "season"
Attached Images

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #47

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Anything bigger than what he has.
(SA)...Close , but no "Carnac the Magnificent" award!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #48

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Mark, what kind of vehicle do you have right now? I ask because I'm thinking that if it is suitable for towing (and we might be able to tell you if we know the year, make, model, and engine size), it would be really helpful to you if you could borrow or rent a trailer for a weekend or something. Once you try it out, you will know so much more. There's no substitute for experiencing it. Staying in and moving around in a trailer for a couple days helps you see the ergonomics... you'll find yourself saying things like, "In my trailer I would want more upper cupboard space," or "I really wish the layout were this way instead of that way." And you find out what it's like to cook in the trailer, back up the trailer, hook up the trailer, etc. You may find out that you want your trailer to be bigger or smaller than the one you try out, or that you want your tow vehicle to be bigger & stronger or that you want a different type (pickup vs SUV or whatever).

Keep reading the threads here. Use the search feature (the google search at the bottom of the drop-down works best) to learn about solar, trailer weights, hitch weight, condensation in cold weather, generators, and so on.

As others suggested, get out to see some FG trailers at a rally. The one near Van Buren AR in September may be close enough to you, and there could be others.

Also, read up on tow ratings of vehicles. Some small vehicles (like most Subarus) can tow about 2500 lb with up to 200 lb on the hitch; these could tow most 13' eggs. Many small crossover SUVs are rated for 3500 lb towing with 350 lb max hitch weight; Tacoma 4 cyl also shares this rating; these can tow 13s and most 16s, and some 17s. Then there are mid size vehicles that will tow 5000 lb or so; they usually can handle 17s and a little more. Then you get into the full size pickups and SUVs with ratings of about 8,000 to 10,000 lb; they are needed for the big boxy trailers most people seem to think they need (we here are not "most people", though ). This is somewhat generalized info, but it gives you a starting point.

Then as you research trailers, look at the specs for dry weight and hitch weight. Figure that you will need to add at least 500 lb, and maybe more like 700-1000 lb, once you fill the tanks and load up all your stuff. To the listed hitch weight, estimate at least 100 lb extra when loaded. Now you will have an idea of whether that trailer can be towed by the vehicle you have (or intend to get).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:23 PM   #49

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
Didn't quite finish my thoughts...is this doable....

As far as power sources if I go all electric, and I want to camp where electric isn't available, could I get by with a small generator and solar panel? How much power can you get from solar panel? I am assuming that would be dependent of good sunlight during the day? Would the solar panel store enough power to get me thru the night? As I could shut everything off during the day and have lights and AC/Heat at night??? I believe I read on here that there are generators that store power so you don't have to run them continuously. It wouldn't be near as bad as far as noise if the generator would kick on every few hours and then shut off.

And like I said, I think I have some buddies who could install propane capabilities for me.

Again, I know very little about such things, converting to solar, propane, generators, ect. But I am now thinking that I can get modifications done cheaper on my own than thru the manufacturer.
None of the air conditioner units that I am aware of will run off of your trailer batteries. Thus, if camping at an unserviced site and you want a/c, you will have to have a generator running at all times that the a/c is on. You should also keep in mind that many of the smallest generators would not have sufficient power to run an rv a/c. Thus, you would have to make sure that your a/c and generator are compatible.

The solar is useful for recharging the trailer batteries. In our Escape 19' with solar panels and LED lighting, we have camped at unserviced sites for as long as 22 days with only solar power to charge the batteries. Of course, we were unable to operate the a/c during that time. Our fridge is powered by propane, 12 VDC, or 120 V AC, and when at unserviced sites, we run it entirely on propane. For us, propane is an essential and is used for the fridge, stove, hot water heater, furnace, BBQ, and a fire bowl.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:33 AM   #50

Missouri
Right now I have 2006 Ford Focus and a 1994 Ford S10 pickup w/250,000 miles on it - my camping pickup with canoe rack. I plan to have a new vehicle for all purposes before I retire and hit the road.

Just want to say this forum is amazing and wouldn't have had this resource even 10 years ago. I feel a lot more knowledgeable even though never stepping in a fiberglass model.

No school in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri today. Snowing, 17 degrees and falling, and high winds. Wish I had my rig and was down south today!! Can't wait!!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:37 AM   #51

Missouri
oops
Old 01-21-2014, 06:44 AM   #52

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
IMHO there are two things that are very important when choosing an all molded towable. A comfortable place to sleep and a comfortable place to sit. The entire floor space is about three long steps in length. Standing ramrod straight almost never happens inside a trailer. Even when doing the dishes or cooking, you will be bent at the waist and neck. One brand/model you may wish to look at, since you're replacing your tug, is the Casita 17' Liberty Deluxe. King size bed and separate seating possible. Certainly too heavy for your current setup, however.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:33 AM   #53

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Mark,

Certainly a significant decision. The best advice I've seen in this thread is to attend a Fiberglass rally or two. This web site is really friendly, rallies are even friendlier. There you'll see everything and get to talk to actual users.

We travel extensively and I'm always amazed how little time we spend in the trailer outside of sleeping.

As to towing, we tow with a small SUV. One thing I know is that frontal area of the trailer is as important as weight when towing, Weight becomes the big deal on 'hill speed' while frontal area is always there.

As to AC we use a small 5000 btu home air conditioner that does the job on the rare occasions when we use it. In general, since we're on the road about 7 months of the year we generally avoid extreme weather. We simply don't choose to go south in the summer or north in the winter. If we find ourselves in extreme weather we always choose a powered campground.

I'm tall but not as tall as you, 6"1'. One year we used a Casita 16, 5'10" inside, and I was amazed how quickly I adjusted to it. It turns out that a trailer is not a walk around place. One is mostly sitting or laying down. This is not to say you shouldn't get a trailer that physically fits you.

As to beds, part of it depends on how you sleep. Our bed is long enough for me when fully stretched out but generally I'm a fetal sleeper and could sleep most anywhere. As to bed with, we happily and comfortably sleep in the Scamp's 44" wide bed.

As to Floyd's comment about 'park models'. It's certain that Fiberglass trailers are growing in size, becoming decidedly more expensive in trailer cost, associated tow vehicle requirements and hitch requirements (weight distribution systems). It seems to be natural that some percentages of buyers need bigger, while many find small is enough. Whether you decided on a big or small rig is not as significant is the amount of use your rig gets. I would always trade the biggest, fanciest rig for more time on the road.

In closing go to a rally, there's so much to learn about trailers, the life style and all the little things that make a difference.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:36 AM   #54

Missouri
I might add I am a little claustrophobic. I think I definitely need a couple inches of headroom to help with that, so I want to be able to stand up straight. Again, I'm 6'4". In fair weather, I will set up my living area outside under the awning. I even envision having my TV capable of moving outside. Sort of a TV/sports junkie, and I will be travelling alone, and TV makes good company. I would miss Cardinals/Mizzou games w/out TV. For long trips, TV will be a must, but that can wait until I get everything else set up the way I want it.

Does anyone else experience some claustrophobia in the confined space of small campers? I think I will be all right with a few windows and headroom.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:18 AM   #55

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Our Scamp 16, though probably not for your frame, has plenty of windows, front and back and both sides. One of the things I dislike about the Egg camper is no rear windows. Similarly for the Snoozy, no front window.

We went to a mainly Casita rally in TX and all the Casita owners commented on our Scamp's size, an optical illusion because we have a front and rear window, giving the impression of a longer trailer.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:18 AM   #56

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Well Floyd, if you are going to label certain models as Park like, then the opposite may be said, certain 13' models are micro like where you have to go outside to change your mind!
Old 01-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #57

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Eggcamper

All white interior of the Eggcamper appealed to me, as well as making the interior feel even more spacious. I prefer the modern look and like to be able to wipe everything down with 409. Note also the Eggcamper has a wider isle due to its 88" overall width. Egg is smooth gel coat interior finish whereas lil'Snoozy is slightly rough.

Wayne
Wayne Perpall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #58

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
If you like the Eggcamper interior, you will love the Oliver https://www.facebook.com/pages/Olive...83250005063478
Old 01-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #59

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Oliver

I really do "LOVE" the Oliver. Have been studying it very closely as they have gone back into production. Looked at all the photos over and over.

Am planning a trip to Northern Wisconsin in July to visit some close friends.
Hope to tour the factory on the way up. That would be my next trailer if I decide to step up. I have the vehicle with which to easily tow it, however, I really enjoy the ease of towing my EggCamper. No weight distribution hitch and no anti-sway. Makes everything so quick and easy. Have tried to get it to break loose at 65 mph, but it is rock solid even in high winds and will follow me like a sports car.

All said, I really like simple - EggCamper - at this time.
Wayne
Wayne Perpall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #60

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
For claustrophobia the picture window helps.

Mine has three picture windows.......
http://lilsnoozyclub-com.webs.com/ap...toid=177752028

Looking out open window

Backyard Photo Shoot:

http://lilsnoozyclub-com.webs.com/ap...bumid=14699527
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lil snoozy