Newbie - Looking for advice - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #1

Name: Dan
Trailer: 1973 PlayPac Hitch-Hut
New York
Newbie - Looking for advice

Hi everyone. My lady and I are in the market for a 13' fiberglass camper and are looking for a little help on some of the logistics of the purchase.

Once a purchase had been made or an eBay bid won, how does one transfer the title, get the trailer registered, and whatever else for the pick-up. What has to be done prior to the pick-up? We live in Brooklyn, NY so chances are we will have to make a little road trip to pick our new purchase up.

Any help would be appreciated. We know these are total beginner questions but we didn't know where else to look! Thanks!
DCass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #2

Trailer: Helite
Get the notarized and signed Bill Of Sale with the Vin and selling price along with the signed title and take it to your DMV to get it transfered into your name. Don't purchase any vehicle that does not have a title. Once you have the title than you can go ahead and get the license plate. You should be able to do this at the same time you get the title.

Make sure the seller verifies that the tires, wheel bearings and running lights are all OK along with the wiring connector type and size of trailer ball.
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:54 PM   #3

Name: Dan
Trailer: 1973 PlayPac Hitch-Hut
New York
Thanks so much. My concern is also getting the trailer home without having the plates or registration in my name. Should I have the seller mail me the title and a bill of sale after the purchase and go to the DMV before taking the road trip to pick it up?

Thanks again.
DCass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Some states require the plate to remain with the vehicle when sold, if that's the case where you buy your trailer then no problem, if not ask the seller to let you use their plate to get the trailer home and then mail it back to them in a flat rate postal envelope.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCass View Post
Thanks so much. My concern is also getting the trailer home without having the plates or registration in my name. Should I have the seller mail me the title and a bill of sale after the purchase and go to the DMV before taking the road trip to pick it up?

Thanks again.
It's a vehicle. When I have purchased cars and trailers, from Maine to Florida, I take the proper documentation to the state DMV and get a temporary permit to get it on the road. ( This assumes you are buying it out of state. ) I always take the previous owners information with a grain of salt. If you are planning to tow it more than a few miles have a mechanic check it; wheels, tires, lights and bearings. It's best if you can have an inspection done before the sale is completed. A few dollars spent on an inspection can save you lots of trouble... and money. This advice, of course, is tempered by the amount you're paying for the vehicle but I wouldn't risk towing a trailer I was unfamiliar with down the road without a qualified assurance it's safe. I purchased my Jetta in Florida and I was able to leave the plate on to drive it home without the temporary permit but I took it to the dealer for a checkup before departing.
Good luck,
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #6

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Our rules will be different so do not know, we were able to tow the trailer home with bill of sale, signed transfer of sale section on owners certificate and with original plates after purchase. Registration next day and returned the plates. (Canada you say) We live across town from our purchase found it on kijiji.