Newbie Looking For Advice - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-25-2020, 05:47 PM   #1

Name: Gene
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Texas
Newbie Looking For Advice

First, let me say hello as I join this new forum. I’m recently retired and living near San Antonio, TX. Like many of you I suspect, we started by tent camping as newlyweds, moved on to a Coleman pop-up for ten years when our boys were small, and then onto a 34’ Terry bunkhouse trailer. Then, career and kids out of the house and we stopped trailering. Now, the bug has bitten us again. We’ve looked at the Lance travel trailers but more recently the Escape, Scamp and Oliver fiberglass products. The Escape seems pretty nice and reasonably priced. The Oliver is beautiful and expensive. Our plans involve multi-week travel to various corners of the U.S. with a preference for the Rockies, Banff-Lake Louise, and perhaps Alaska, too. As many of you have already made this transition,-perhaps you can impart some wisdom on things to consider? By the way, we will pull our trailer or lightweight fifth wheel with our 2019 RAM 1500 with Hemi 5.7L engine. I’m a bit of a mechanical perfectionist and like my stuff to look like a freshly washed fire engine. Hope to make many new friends as we travel. Thanks for your insight.
theHueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:54 PM   #2

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Welcome to the forum. Fiberglass is the way to go! Great people here who like to share their experiences and opinions. All in all a very helpful bunch.

I got my Scamp 13 a year ago. it took about 8 months for it to roll out of their facility after I ordered it. Its been great so far. Scamps are light and less expensive. People who have Escapes are fond of them. I don't hear much about Olivers but they do look desirable if you're willing to pay. Have you looked at Casita? Again those who have them seem to like them.

We are one big clan but we have our tribes.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Here is a good site
FYI
Casita are made in Texas
Scamp in Minnesota
Escape in Canada

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:31 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
You really have a few decisions: if you need four season, then it's Bigfoot or Oliver. If you don't need a four season trailer, then the other choices tend to be more affordable and lighter weight.

If you like the layout of a Casita, then the Oliver is a more deluxe four season version. Very nice! Now if you don't like the layout of the Casita, then a more deluxe version won't solve that problem.

It's all about floor plan. Until you get experience camping, you won't really know. I'm a huge fan of fifth wheels, love the floor plan, love towing them. But I don't own a fifth wheel, go figure.... You do have to be willing to give up most of the storage in your truck bed.

We've towed all over North America, up to Alaska, and spend a lot of time in the Rockies. Yet we have never needed a four season trailer. When it gets that cold, we really don't enjoy camping and instead, head to a warmer area. We have been in Yellowstone at 25F, early May, that was fine (and warmer during the day). Same trip we were in Zion National Park at 105F, not so pleasant!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Did you see the Oliver listed in the classifieds here? It’s in Arlington, TX and may be worth a look.
Closer to home, we live in Bulverde and have a Casita 17 SD in storage here. I need to take it out and have the fridge looked at, so if you want to get a good look at one, give me a holler.
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:16 AM   #6

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
There are at least three Oliver owners in and around San Antonio. Call Marilyn at 888-526-3978 ext.319 if you would like to set up an appointment to see one.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:04 AM   #7

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth C. View Post
Did you see the Oliver listed in the classifieds here? It’s in Arlington, TX and may be worth a look.
Closer to home, we live in Bulverde and have a Casita 17 SD in storage here. I need to take it out and have the fridge looked at, so if you want to get a good look at one, give me a holler.
Ruth-thanks for the offer. I did see the Oliver and depending on my schedule, I may call the seller to see if I can stop for a look. However, my sense is clean Olivers don't last long on the for sale block.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
trailers

Gene Just a helpful hint . If you really want a fiberglass trailer all of them , not just the Olivers , don't last long if they are in halfway decent condition so if you see one you might like pounce on it quickly or you may be looking for a long long time . Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:35 PM   #9

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Senn View Post
Gene Just a helpful hint . If you really want a fiberglass trailer all of them , not just the Olivers , don't last long if they are in halfway decent condition so if you see one you might like pounce on it quickly or you may be looking for a long long time . Lee and Norma
Yes, I’d noticed comments from others that gave me this impression. It’s a far cry from stick built units for resale. Also, as fiberglass trailers seem to hold their value quite well, prices for used units isn’t that far from new, in my opinion. That may drive us to new instead if no suitable used units are available. Fun hunting, either way. A month ago I’d never even considered fiberglass. Now, I don’t think I’d ever want anything but that construction. And, it seems like a fun community.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:05 PM   #10

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Recent models tend to very close to new price. The advantage is no waiting list and perhaps some options. And if it’s nearby, you save on shipping too.

When I bought my used Escape a few years ago, it included about $6,000 in options and shipping from BC was about $5,000. Otherwise I basically paid new price. With the virus right now, camping has slowed down so the wait isn’t as bad. And Escape has expanded so wait times are shorter.

So if I was buying now I’d probably go with new.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:24 PM   #11

Texas
We’ve narrowed down our choices to Escape, possibly 5th wheel, or Oliver Legacy Elite II. Might I get some comments on considerations between the two?