Newbie still shopping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #1

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1984 16' Scamp
Missouri
Newbie still shopping

Hey all, I'm Ryan and am new around here. Not new to camping but definitely to your all's community. I owned a pop up camper a couple years ago as a single fella but am now married and have a 14 month old. My wife likes doing outdoor stuff but not a huge fan of sleeping on the ground.

My only concern is most of the FG trailers I've come across don't have toilets or showers. I was a scout and have been in the military for the last 13 years so I don't mind "roughing it" a little. Most campsite/resorts have showers anyway. It's just a hard sell to the boss/wife when a stick built camper with a shower is comparative in price. Any advice on selling it to her?

Tow vehicle is no problem, I have a '11 Tacoma double cab with a V6 (6500 lb tow capacity).

I'm really leaning towards a 16' model for the little extra room. Wife, kid, and jack russell.

I should add, I'm about to go on a temporary duty assignment for about 6 months and am considering full timing in the thing father than staying in a hotel. I can save Uncle Sam a couple bucks, the camp site is paid for, and over the course of that 6 months, significantly offset the price of the camper.

Looking forward to learning from ya'll!
ryanlikestacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Many 16 foot and larger FG campers do have a toilet and shower.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Ryan, to FiberglassRV. We're glad you're here!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE

I have to go... I'm going camping! But wanted to pop in and say HI. You're going to find lots of kind and helpful people here at FiberglassRV.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You wil also find that a 13' with a toilet/shower gets very, very crowded. That's why we sold ours. Go for the slightly bigger ones.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #5

Missouri
Hi ya'll thanks for quick replies.

I'm steering clear of the 13 footers. They look nice and awfully cute but I don't think it's enough room for my wife, son, pup and I. Especially a model with a toilet. Even in the 16 foot model, it seems the bathroom does give up some valuable real estate. Adding a porta potty and showering at the campsite is seeking like the best option at this point.

I'm looking at older 16 footer models because of the price point. Some had bathrooms, some don't, from what I've seen.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #6

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
Having to hunt for a potty in the middle of the night would be a deal buster for my wife. We got an older 17 Casita and it has a potty and comfy bed so everyone is happy. I've never used the shower in it, always use the park showers. I'd have no problem living in a 16/17' trailer for 6 mo. if I was by myself. Having a compact trailer has it's good and bad points. I find learning to live with it is all about learning to live outside of it. For me, it's a place to sleep in comfort and not a place to live in.

Good luck with the search.
2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #7

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlon View Post
Having to hunt for a potty in the middle of the night would be a deal buster for my wife. We got an older 17 Casita and it has a potty and comfy bed so everyone is happy. I've never used the shower in it, always use the park showers. I'd have no problem living in a 16/17' trailer for 6 mo. if I was by myself. Having a compact trailer has it's good and bad points. I find learning to live with it is all about learning to live outside of it. For me, it's a place to sleep in comfort and not a place to live in.

Good luck with the search.
Agreed, my wife wouldn't be pleased about a late night walk to the bathroom. I got used to doing it as a kid and recently reminded of it while in Afghanistan.

A porta potty might be a cheap and reasonable option for late night potty breaks
Old 04-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #8

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
I think they make some pretty decent little porta potties these days. A sight better than the bucket and lid we had in a pop-up 30 years ago.
2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #9

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
We used a "Luggable Loo" in the side tent on our teardrop. Essentially a 5 gal bucket, half full of kitty litter, with a toilet seat. The first night in our new ParkLiner with cold rain falling at 2:00 AM my wife returned from the on board bathroom with a big grin on her face and remarked that, "Whatever it cost us, that made it all worth it!"

The ParkLiner, at 15 feet is surprisingly roomy and would easily accommodate two adults and a child. With the bunk bed option, two children. You might want to take a look at their offering.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Find rdwatson's post here.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #11

Name: Mitchell
Trailer: Shopping
Ontario
Me too looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlikestacos View Post
Hi ya'll thanks for quick replies.

I'm steering clear of the 13 footers. They look nice and awfully cute but I don't think it's enough room for my wife, son, pup and I. Especially a model with a toilet. Even in the 16 foot model, it seems the bathroom does give up some valuable real estate. Adding a porta potty and showering at the campsite is seeking like the best option at this point.

I'm looking at older 16 footer models because of the price point. Some had bathrooms, some don't, from what I've seen.
I agree with you that a 13' will be very tight if you have a shower and toilet. So I decided to look for a 16'. I SO FAR am looking at a Scamp 16' and Trillium 4500. It seems that the Scamp has more options and you can order it your way. How ever the Scamp uses a wooden floor and the trillium is a fiberglass floor. The other model I am looking at is a Casita. The only other issue is towing whether your TV can handle it.

Good Luck

P.S. The only good thing taking your time is you will make a better choice. I will take 1 to 3 years to decide. Mean while I will go to a egg gathering to see and ask question. An large RV show not very useful as I only seen one egg.
RETIRED is offline   Reply With Quote