Newbie to Fiberglass - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2015, 08:11 AM   #1

Name: Leslie
Trailer: Nomad
Ontario
Newbie to Fiberglass

Hi! I am new here. We are just about to purchase our 1st trailer and I've fallen in love with a 1974 Ventura. We shall be picking her up next week. She is in need of a paint job and I have to see what original features remain inside still. I will be reaching out for help since we are green in all aspects of these trailers. Hopefully you all will be able to guide me into restoring her to her original beauty. Thanks!
LeslieKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:53 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Wow... sounds like fun, to me anyway.

But, in as much as you apparently haven't yet even see this rig, I am guessing that it is what we call a "Fixer"

Unless you have a garage full of tools, and the ability to use them, I would proceed with caution starting with a 40+ y.o. FGRV.

If there is even the thought that you will have to farm out anything but very minor work, your dream FGRV could turn into a nightmare.

What I am getting at is that it is almost always less expensive to buy the best FGRV you can possibly afford, than to buy a fixer. For example, if you have to have that repaint done by a shop, plan on about $2000 from the average shop (US $ & US shops example, others may differ).

On the other hand, if your skill sets include being a carpenter/cabinet maker, electrician, mechanic and bodyman/painter, have a ball.....

And fear not, you will get lots of help, support & sympathy from those on the site

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:11 AM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
wooop wooop!!! Congratulations on the new FGRV!
I also purchase sight unseen, based on photos and have been camping ever since. I made some small repairs, and upgraded wiring, and learned all sorts of new skills. These little rigs are pretty sturdy, and so many of them have been brought back to like new, and customized too!
Be sure to post photos, we love seeing them
Before towing, its a good idea to check tires (new ones might be needed) and the wheel bearings.

And wait until you attend a FG Rally, they are a blast!!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:20 AM   #4

Name: Leslie
Trailer: Nomad
Ontario
Thanks Bob and Pam! We are renovation experts and luckily have all the tools (and more) needed in our garage! Initially I wanted it as a bunkie for our two girls out back on our acreage, but after reading and seeing "after" pictures of the Ventura we've decided that we should take it on the road as well as having it for the kids. We've stripped our house to the studs and rebuilt (electrical, plumbing, drywall and paint) and I'm sure we can tackle this little guy. Also the man rebuilds various cars I purchase (I've a problem "saving" vehicles online) so I'm hoping this will be a fun adventure for the two of us! Thank you for the support and replies! Once we get her here I will post pictures of her "before" glory (she's had a custom cammo paint job which is horrible)
LeslieKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:10 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Sounds like you are good to go...best of luck in your project.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:18 AM   #6

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Looking forward to seeing your new treasure and do post lots of pictures of your project. It sounds like you have the skills to do whatever needs doing to make this a neat little home away from home.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:18 AM   #7

Name: Susan
Trailer: Casita 17' SD; Tow Vehicle 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
North Carolina
Registry
Congratulations on your new camper! I am envious of all of you who have the skill set to take care of these classics. I don't have the knowledge or tools to work on them, so happily purchased a new Casita this year. But I really enjoy seeing the great things that everyone else does to keep these great campers on the road!
Susan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Hi Leslie Welcome to the very best web site for learning how to manage and grow your 1974 Ventura. We've enjoyed our 'visits' here. and our 'antiky' Boler is moving along quite well, too. - another "Ontarian".
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote