NEWEST MEMBER - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2003, 05:33 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
NEWEST MEMBER

HELLO I JUST FOUND THIS GREAT CHAT AS I WAS LOOKING FOR PARTS OR INFORMATION ON MY COMPACT II BY HUNTER. I STARTED LOOKING FOR A SMALL TRAILER TO PULL BEHIND MY EARLY BRONCO. I WATCHED FOR AND PRICED OUT A LOT OF CASITAS AND BURROS AND FOUND THEM ALL HIGH PRICED FOR MY BUDGET. I FINALLY SPOTTED MY TRAILER ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO IN A FRONT YARD BURIED IN GARBAGE, GRAFITTI, FLAT TIRES, BROKEN GLASS AND DEAD CATS (YES A DEAD CAT) I OFFERD THE OWNER $200.00 WHICH HE TURNED DOWN. I KEPT AN EYE ON IT FOR ABOUT A YEAR AND THEN WENT BACK TO THE OWNER READY TO RAISE MY PRICE. WHEN I STARTED TALKING TO THE HIM HE SAID HE WAS GOING TO TAKE THE FRAME OFF THE TRAILER AND MAKE A FLATBEAD OUT OF IT. I TOLD HIM THAT THAT WAS OK BECAUSE THE FRAME WAS TOO LIGHT FOR THE OFFROADING I WANTED TO DO AND I PLANNED TO PUT A HEAVIER FRAME UNDER IT. ANYWAY TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT I BOUGHT THE BODY FOR $50

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 05:46 PM   #2

Hi Darrell ... welcome to the group!

Like to see some pictures (before and after) of your project!

There are several "frame off" restorations underway ... but you are the first owner to try a "frameless" restoration! :) :)

Hey, one tip ... it's easier to read something typed in upper and lower case ... rather than in all CAPS!

CAPS MEAN YOU'RE SHOUTING (atleast on the internet!):o :o

Old 05-13-2003, 05:47 PM   #3

Also, I think your acquisition costs of $50 is probably the lowest I've ever heard! Won't take many nights camping to recoup that! :wave

Old 05-13-2003, 05:49 PM   #4

Thanks Charlie I am new to this chat stuff so thanks for the caps tip. I'll try not to yell.

Old 05-13-2003, 05:57 PM   #5

I have not taken pictures of the before. I have been working on the project about a year and am just about ready to put the trailer on the road. I did have a lot of work to get the trailer usable. The body was in pretty good shape (other than the dead cat) after sitting out in the nevada sun with broken windows. I will get some digital pictures as soon as i can so i can put them on the chat.

Old 05-13-2003, 06:03 PM   #6

Do you still have the dead cat??

Could be like a travel mascot, or something!

***** I deleted my last comment, because some folks here love cats ... so, in the interest of friendship .... well.

Old 05-13-2003, 06:33 PM   #7

:wave
Darrell; Ole Buddy!!!
If you find another deal like that one, you let me know. That kind of project is just what I've been :E looking for. One of my daughters and her husband are trying hard to talk me out my Casita.
By the way -- if you find it is, for some reason, not suitable to you, ----- write me!

Old 05-13-2003, 06:50 PM   #8

Welcome, Darrell...

I just joined myself a couple days ago! It's a great site!

Good luck on your project!
Dennis

Old 05-13-2003, 07:38 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for being so friendly. I'm excited about sharing some of my rebuilding experiences and what I've learned in the process I could help someone else out.

Old 05-13-2003, 08:10 PM   #10

Hi Darrel
Welcome to this forum.Post lots and have fun.:wave

Old 05-13-2003, 09:13 PM   #11

was anything inside usable? like stove top and such? That guy probably thought you were just hauling off his junk for him. didn't know what he had. :lol. and you didn't take before pictures. :weep

Old 05-13-2003, 09:31 PM   #12

Hi Jana

Thank you for your message. Yes the stove fridge sink and all that was in good shape. These are located in the back of the trailer so they were dirty but good. Most of the deterioration was in the front where the large windows were broken out. Fortunately the dry climate did not allow much water damage. I sure wish now that I had taken pictures in the rough.

Old 05-13-2003, 10:32 PM   #13

ok...I'll bite...how much for the dead cat? *just kidding*

Good luck on your project -we're looking forward to pictures. :)

Old 05-13-2003, 10:50 PM   #14

Hi Rick
Thanks for the message. Just for the record the cat was just bones and fir. It had been there a long time. I thought about contacting the local anthropoligy sociaty but thought better of it.
Seriously the project has been fun and I am looking foreward to enjoying this fiberglass rv group. It sounds like everyone is really great. I will post current pictures as soon as I can and will give a history of my project if anyone is interested.

Old 05-14-2003, 05:33 AM   #15

:wave
Darrell:
Please do give us a detailed account of your project. And I wasn't joking about wanting a rundown Compact II for a project. Look around on this Site and you will find several other people working on projects like yours. I wish you good luck with the rebuilding, and using, of your find. One man's trash is another man's treasure they say.

Old 05-14-2003, 10:34 AM   #16

My Compact II history to date

Thanks Emmett for your interest in my Compact II rebuilding project

I gave a brief summary of how I found my trailer already so I will continue my history from there.

I will give this history in sections so anyone can ask questions in between. I will try to make it interesting by touching on the essentials so if anyone wants more detail I can fill in as we go. So here we go.

( Emmitt I think I was very fortunate to find this little wonder for the price paid. I think that is like finding a Model T Ford in a hay barn that the little old widow lady just wants to get rid of that old piece of junk. I will try keep an eye out for something and let you know. Las Vegas is a suburb of Henderson HA HA so a lot of people come and go with all their gear and just might leave something like this behind.)

I can see i'm not the newest member anymore so i need to change my thread. I will start a new thread titled "My Compact II hstory"