Nissan and Scamp 5th wheel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #1

Name: ken
Trailer: scamp
California
Nissan and Scamp 5th wheel

I'm in the process of shopping for a new tow vehicle for my Scamp 5th wheel and it's down to Toyota Tundra or Nissan Frontier. I'm leaning toward the Nassan and would welcome any feedback from anyone towing the scamp 5th wheel with a late model Nissan Frontier 4WD. I'm looking at the extended cab with 6 ft. bed . Have you incountered any problems matching up the scamp with the nissan and how dos the truck handle the scamp? Presently towing with a 94 Ford Ranger and it's performing well with great milage figures but the little lady says it's time to upgrade!

Thanks KD
kenneth dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Hi Ken cant help you re the 5th wheel but currently in the market for a new vechile and on the truck side of the list the Frontier is on the top. There are a number of people pulling with the Frontier here so hopefully someone will pipe in. I know member Elf S. pulls an Escape 5.0 (5th wheel) with nis Frontier and he is really happy with it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:26 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth dowd View Post
I'm in the process of shopping for a new tow vehicle for my Scamp 5th wheel and it's down to Toyota Tundra or Nissan Frontier. I'm leaning toward the Nassan and would welcome any feedback from anyone towing the scamp 5th wheel with a late model Nissan Frontier 4WD. I'm looking at the extended cab with 6 ft. bed . Have you incountered any problems matching up the scamp with the nissan and how dos the truck handle the scamp? Presently towing with a 94 Ford Ranger and it's performing well with great milage figures but the little lady says it's time to upgrade!

Thanks KD
Hi: kenneth dowd... Yes I'm very happy with our Nissan Frontier 4X4 Crew Cab Long Bed. We have just over 40,000 miles on it and 3 yrs. of towing. So far so good!!! It's a real truck with a metal box and we have a regular 5th. wheel hitch mounted through it to the frame. The std. suspension needed no helper springs or air bags. We saved thousands over a Taco with it's composite box too.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030382.jpg   P1020904.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #4

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
If memory serves, and it might not, I do not think the Frontier and Tundra are comparable vehicles.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #5

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Bob, I think you're right. it's the Frontier and Tacoma that are comparable I believe. The Tundra is a big step up from those two.

S.
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
You need to check the capacity of the Frontier and the weight of the scamp. Some Escape owners are finding the compact trucks are near their carrying capacity limit due to the higher weight of the 5th wheel.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You need to check the capacity of the Frontier and the weight of the scamp. Some Escape owners are finding the compact trucks are near their carrying capacity limit due to the higher weight of the 5th wheel.
On the Trailer Weights in the Real World Thread it appears most Scamp 5th wheels come in with a *total* weight of about 3500 or less - there is one that came in on the heavy side at 3860 lbs. The Frontier is speced to tow 6500lbs. The Pro 4x model would also give you the beefed up shocks if that is of concern.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I was referring to the tongue weight issue, it appears about 600# for the Scamp 5th wheel, some of the compacts carrying capacity is only 1000#, so there is only 400# left for passengers, cargo, fuel.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I was referring to the tongue weight issue, it appears about 600# for the Scamp 5th wheel, some of the compacts carrying capacity is only 1000#, so there is only 400# left for passengers, cargo, fuel.
True I can see that happening with a heavy on the tongue 5th wheel - one does need to watch what model they purchase in that regard. During my research I have found on the 2013 Frontiers the "Payloads" which I believe you are referring to vary on the 4x2 models from 913 lbs to 1481 lbs and the 4x4 versions from 1120 lbs to 1390 lbs. Numbers not as high as one might see on a full sized pick up but Nissan is not selling it as such either.

The various payloads by model can be found on the 2013 Nissan Frontier Brochure.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #10

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
We bought a used 2007 Frontier Crew Cab, Long Bed, 6CYL, 2WD (hard to find) to tow a 2011 Scamp 5er. Scamp installed their old hitch (the new one hadn't come out) when we picked up the trailer. They raised the Scamp 2" based on the height of the Frontier bed sides. We've put about 15,000 miles on the combo and are very happy with it. The truck didn't have a tow package installed, I'd get it if I were buying a new one. The Scamp pulls very smoothly. We try to keep under 60 mph and get 18-19mpg. We've been in the Rockies, Berkshires, and Alleghenies and had no trouble maintaining speed.
I recommend the crew over the king cab as the extra space is helpful. The 5th wheel configuration cuts into the hauling space in the bed. We have no regrets over buying the Frontier.
David
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #11

Name: ken
Trailer: scamp
California
Thanks for replys Toyota vs Nissan

In my original post I ment to compair the Tacoma not the Tundra to the Nissan Frontier. After test driving both trucks the Nissan feels like more of a truck to me plus it has a slight HP and Torque advantage. Thanks again this is a great forum!
kenneth dowd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp