Noobies looking for a full-time and boondocking trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-21-2015, 08:21 PM   #21

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hummm, every inch put into the bath, whether wet or dry... has to come from someplace else. Wouldn't you rather have more cabinet space, etc.... than a bigger bathroom? I would. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:43 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
first video

Several notes:

1. You don't want a MH with your scenario unless you have a toad. Consider getting into a campsite, slides out, comfortable and then you need to go to Walmart, or the next day go explore. You have to slides in, pack everything for travel before you can go.

2. The storage drawers you liked so much should not have anything important in them. The bed, when the slide is closed, prevents access.

3. Storage. You have to keep in mind to keep weight evenly distributed as well as low for balance reasons. Picture an unexpected sharp corner with heavy storage high in the rig.

4. You said you won't be having guests, but are concerned about the privacy door on the bedroom?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:41 PM   #23

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
I was going to mention Escape, but it sounds to me like the OP is looking for a trailer that they can get into soon and the wait time for Escapes is now 12 months or more. If I were going to do something like they're contemplating I'd sure look at the Escape 21 or the Escape 5.0 TA.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:58 AM   #24

Name: Themore
Trailer: shopping
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Several notes:

1. You don't want a MH with your scenario unless you have a toad. Consider getting into a campsite, slides out, comfortable and then you need to go to Walmart, or the next day go explore. You have to slides in, pack everything for travel before you can go.

2. The storage drawers you liked so much should not have anything important in them. The bed, when the slide is closed, prevents access.

3. Storage. You have to keep in mind to keep weight evenly distributed as well as low for balance reasons. Picture an unexpected sharp corner with heavy storage high in the rig.

4. You said you won't be having guests, but are concerned about the privacy door on the bedroom?
I'm not sure which video you're referring to? We already bought a tow rig (a van), so a motorhome is out of the question.

We haven't seriously looked at many options that have slides in them (apart from this past weekend). We don't plan on storing things in the trailer that we'll need when we're not camped. That's why we bought a van: to have the daily, necessary things accessible at all times.

We won't be having guests often, but we will have nieces and nephews staying from time to time. I don't know which comment/video you're referring to about the privacy door on the bedroom.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:00 AM   #25

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hummm, every inch put into the bath, whether wet or dry... has to come from someplace else. Wouldn't you rather have more cabinet space, etc.... than a bigger bathroom? I would. YMMV
Personally , we would rather have a composting toilet with smaller cabinet space than a wet bath with bigger cabinets. The nature of a wet bath wouldn't be a deal-breaker if we weren't so ademate on running a composting toilet.

Composting toilets require a constant 12v fan, which means wires. Wires in a wet bath aren't a good idea. We could possibly get around it with a shower curtain, but that's still a bit sketchy.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:39 AM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
12 vots could hardly care about water, a very easy electrical situation.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:36 PM   #27

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
I'm probably biased, but

I think the Bigfoots are awesome. There is what looks like a gorgeous one listed here and it might really work for you while you're finalizing your plans.

This one has a couch that can be a permanent bed if you prefer, and a privacy curtain. I think it also has a fold down bunk above for nieces and nephews. It no doubt has a wet bath, but as Bob said, with 12v that may not be a huge concern for your composting toilet and fan. I'm pretty sure it does NOT have an outside television.

If you're set on an Airstream, then, no problem. They're out there on the lots everywhere waiting for you. But if you decided on a new Oliver, Bigfoot, or an Escape there is a long waiting list. Consider buying something used that has most of what you need. After you've lived in it for a while you'll know exactly what you can live with, and without.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:14 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by themoreweexplore View Post
Wires in a wet bath aren't a good idea.
You think? What do you suggest I do for a light in the middle of the night? It's not an issue.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:13 AM   #29

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
I think the Bigfoots are awesome. There is what looks like a gorgeous one listed here and it might really work for you while you're finalizing your plans.

This one has a couch that can be a permanent bed if you prefer, and a privacy curtain. I think it also has a fold down bunk above for nieces and nephews. It no doubt has a wet bath, but as Bob said, with 12v that may not be a huge concern for your composting toilet and fan. I'm pretty sure it does NOT have an outside television.

If you're set on an Airstream, then, no problem. They're out there on the lots everywhere waiting for you. But if you decided on a new Oliver, Bigfoot, or an Escape there is a long waiting list. Consider buying something used that has most of what you need. After you've lived in it for a while you'll know exactly what you can live with, and without.
Something like that looks fantastic. And it's not even a wet bath, which we love. I think that model would be the perfect size for us, and I like the features. Now I need to go look at one in person and see what it's like.

We're not sold on Airstream yet, they're just our favorite that we've seen so far. We've yet to see a Bigfoot, Oliver, or Escape in person.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:17 AM   #30

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You think? What do you suggest I do for a light in the middle of the night? It's not an issue.
Is your light getting rained on from the shower? I hope not.

With a composting toilet, with a 12v fan constantly running, getting rained on from the shower (not to mention the water that may get into the holding tank) doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Maybe I'm using the wrong term. I thought a wet bath was one where the toilet is sitting in the middle of the shower, not where they're in the same room as each other. Am I using the term correctly? I'm actually a fan of when they're in the same room, that's good use of space. If someone could use the toilet while someone else is showering, I assume that's not a wet bath. But I'm new to this RV thing, so I may have my terminology mixed up.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:57 PM   #31

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Since you are new to RVing you may want to be more receptive to other's opinions. There is a wealth of knowledge here on the forums. Oliver and Escape will custom make a trailer for you, Airstream will not. You can order an Escape with or without a/c, with or without solar, with or without an oven and so on. If you know where you want 120v outlets Escape will move them. Try that with Airstream. As far as wet bath, I installed a teak floor in mine, so my floor is never wet. One more thing, there is a nice 2008 Bigfoot for sale here on the forum, check out the "For Sale" section, it has a dry bath.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:44 PM   #32

Utah
I apologize if I came off as not being receptive, I appreciate everyone's advice.

I have a few needs: dry bath, composting toilet, and solar. I realize others may not want those things in their trailers, but I do, so I'm standing by those. I recognize that there are some fantastic options out there that don't meet my criteria. That's ok, but I'm not going to change these criteria, so those trailers won't work for me.

I haven't found many people running composting toilets in their fiberglass trailers. I'd love to hear from those of you who do have them and what your setup is.

I don't want to turn this into an Airstream vs fiberglass debate. They're both great. I'm sure people here could give me 100 reasons why fiberglass is better than an Airstream, and if I went to airforums, they'd tell me 100 reasons why an airstream is better. Both have their pros and cons. I'm not convinced that airstream is the end-all-be-all trailer. That being said, I haven't seen anything else that even comes close to their build quality (I'm talking cabinets, furniture, layout, etc). I'm hoping that once I check out some fiberglass trailers I'll be able to say "I've found the top three best built trailers in my opinion are (insert fiberglass brand here), (insert another great trailer here), and airstream.

I haven't stepped foot inside a fiberglass trailer yet, they're simply not abundant or available where I live. Before I drive 6 hours in either direction, I'm trying to get a handle on which models will be worth driving out for and which ones won't. The most amazing 12' trailer won't be worth a 6 hour drive for me, since it won't meet my needs.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:46 PM   #33

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Something like that looks fantastic. And it's not even a wet bath, which we love. I think that model would be the perfect size for us, and I like the features. Now I need to go look at one in person and see what it's like.
My Lil'Bigfoot is only 13.5' and does not have a bathroom (we do have a porta potty). There is a small dinette in front, so we can keep the bed made in the back. I absolutely LOVE this little trailer.

The only thing that could seduce me away from it is that next model up in the ad. I love how the bed is more private and tucked away, the dinette is just a little bigger, and there's a bit more storage and space in the kitchen. And a bathroom.

I think that weight-wise my TV could tow it, but it would be very close to the maximum weight and I don't want to press it that close. But if I had a nice, powerful TV, I'd definitely look at one like this!
Old 09-25-2015, 05:06 PM   #34

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Since you are new to RVing you may want to be more receptive to other's opinions. There is a wealth of knowledge here on the forums. Oliver and Escape will custom make a trailer for you, Airstream will not. You can order an Escape with or without a/c, with or without solar, with or without an oven and so on. If you know where you want 120v outlets Escape will move them. Try that with Airstream. As far as wet bath, I installed a teak floor in mine, so my floor is never wet. One more thing, there is a nice 2008 Bigfoot for sale here on the forum, check out the "For Sale" section, it has a dry bath.

There is a wealth of knowledge on these forums, that's for sure. There is also a lot of know-it-allism, and a lot of personal opinions promoted as factual truth. And we all know what opinions are like......
Just because person A has been RVing for longer than person B doesn't mean Person A is an expert and person B should kiss their feet. So any knowledge encountered on the forum should be taken with a grain of salt, as it may in fact not be all that knowledgeable. Remember, everything you read hear is on the Internet. Oh, I forgot. I read it on the Internet so it must be true.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-25-2015, 05:15 PM   #35

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
Look at Artic Fox line and their lower lines NASH.
Let me know what you think.

A fiberglass won't suite your needs.

"we've decided on a travel trailer to town behind our 1-ton diesel van."
Dextersp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:41 PM   #36

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If I bought an Airstream and I did look at doing this in the past, everything I read suggested that you buy prior to the company being sold to Thor. And, yes, I was in the Airstream forum, a member of Escapees and also the Good Sam Club. We have been RVing since 1984. I would "google" - "Issues with Airstream Travel Trailers" and read through a few pages or any other manufacturer you are interested in. If a problem comes up again and again that is a sign that you need to think about how receptive you are to that problem.

Composting toilets have been discussed here before. Use the "Search" function. Also, I would "google" for issues with those toilets. You'll need to make sure you'll have enough space for the "foot print" which is often larger than a standard toilet depending on the model you want.

Frankly, you come across as promoting the Airstream hoping to sell them here more than being open to suggestions which others are giving.

What size bed are you looking for? That can be important and also what about height as taller people have a few more limits if they want to be able to stand in a molded fiberglass TT.

I would go used since you are going to probably be putting a composting toilet in yourself.

On Airstream, yes, they did increase the size of their facility and production but prior to this, they didn't have a lot of units sitting on dealer's lots. I checked this out also. Obviously, one might do well on a new unit with year end coming up since they need to clear them out before inventory.

If you love Airstream, buy one. Otherwise, the only real possibility I see is a Bigfoot 25'. Have you thought about an Airstream in a hail storm?
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:17 PM   #37

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
Quote:
I haven't seen a stick built one that I'm even remotely impressed with as far as build quality and design go.

Look at 4 season trailers

4 Seasons Equipped Truck Campers, Travel Trailers & Toy Haulers

Check out Lance

Artic Fox
Northwood | Arctic Fox Classic Trailers

I'd be interested in your opinion.
Dextersp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:21 PM   #38

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Airstream and FGRV's are not in the same category and you will seldom find potential buyers trying to make a decision between them. FGRV's are, for the most part, functional, current production Airstreams place a much higher priority on size, luxury, and bling.

There is a Palm Springs Airstream Club, that should ell you something.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:53 PM   #39

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Frankly, you come across as promoting the Airstream hoping to sell them here more than being open to suggestions which others are giving.
Believe what you want, but you're sorely mistaken. For us, mentioning the airstream was a reference point for what we loved, not a dig on FGRVs. It's a reflection of what we look for in an RV: open windows, quality cabinets, good layout, and no tacky wallpaper. When you find something you like, you compare other things to it. We're not married to the brand, to the aluminum shell, to the ease of towing, or even the vintage look. None of that matters to us. If we found a fiberglass model with a well designed interior, similar to those veins, we'd be thrilled, as it seems like it'd be the best option for us out there.

I couldn't care less if nobody else bought another airstream and they went out of business, other than the fact that we'll be losing a quality product out there. Let's not turn this into an airstream vs FGRV thread.

As far as I can tell, there are 3 major trailer types.

1) aluminum shelled (airstream is the only current manufacturer I know constructing this way)
2) stick built. We haven't fallen in love with any of those
3) FGRV. We know nothing about them, so we came here to learn about them.

The whole reason I joined the FGRV forum was to try to educate myself to find other options out there. The fact that I've been to 15 dealers and the only options that have appealed so far are the airstreams shouldn't threaten FGRVers.

WHen I started my search, I figured I'd find some 27, 30, 33' FGRVs. I didn't realize that 95% of them were under 20' with wet baths. I still think they're worth looking in to though.

In fact, in my research outside of this forum, people mentioned I should look into FGRVs because they typically have better insulation properties than an aluminum trailer, and they often have better ground clearance, and they're tough little buggers. I appreciate the people who have given great advice in this thread.

I've been completely open to everyone's suggestion except those recommending we get a wet bath. For full-time living for several years on the road, I don't want a wet bath.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:57 PM   #40

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextersp1 View Post
Look at Artic Fox line and their lower lines NASH.
Let me know what you think.
Funny you should mention Nash, we were recently turned on to them, and they look fantastic for our needs. While we haven't seen any in person, we love the ground clearance, the strength of the frame, and a lot of the other features they've added. We need to go check one out.

Among the stick-built units, we've heard Arctic Fox is one of the warmest, strongest out there. We need to look into them more. Thanks for the recommendation.

Tags
boondocking