Now what? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2014, 10:46 PM   #1

Name: Sarah
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
Now what?

After months of searching for the right little trailer, I finally picked up my very own 1980 '13 Scamp!

Now I just need to figure out where to start! It's in pretty good condition for sitting on a farm in Washington untouched for 2 years, but its got some things that need fixing as well! It has a sagging door, a water tank that hasn't been used for 7+ years and when we tried to test the burners there was a burst of flames that came out of the knob!

I have been poking around this forum for a few months now and I know there is a great wealth of information, but I can't decide where to start. What is most important? Where is an easy place to jump in? Maybe I will just start cleaning and see what happens....

Here is a picture of her on our drive home. Don't mind the pool noodle on the back end! It was a last min fix since my hitch was too high and no where was open on a Sunday to get it fixed! I stopped in Safeway and grabbed some tape and pool noodle to keep her tail end from getting scrapped in case we hit a bump! She made it home in one piece and I didn't even scrape a noodle! Better safe and funny looking then sorry!! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1401079570.268126.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	71544
summooreplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:26 AM   #2

Name: Brandi
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
Texas
So you decided on a different alternative energy source! Going with wind power instead of solar like the rest of us? Do those things create drag?
Brandiwhne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:38 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by summooreplz View Post
but I can't decide where to start. What is most important? Where is an easy place to jump in? Maybe I will just start cleaning and see what happens....
Nice find! I would forget about the door and other issues and worry about the important stuff such as:

1) Check the frame for cracks & check the axle.
2) if the tires are more than 4 years old and the trailer has been sitting replace them.
3)Take off and check the wheel bearings and replace them or repack them if they look ok.

Once you know the running gear is all good then I would:

4) Take it to have the propane system checked completely over!

Once you have the basic safe to use stuff covered then you have all the time in the world to start on your todo list of cleaning and fixing doors and any leaks etc....
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:43 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I'd also take a good look at that axle, looks like it is sagging more than a little bit.

For future reference, WalMart stocks and sell drop drawbars.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:58 AM   #5

Oregon
Ah yes thanks guys!
Haha!! All about the renewable energy!!

The guy said he checked the tires and repacked the bearings for me. He was a very nice older farmer / mechanic and was concerned about my safety driving back. But I'll take a look just in case.
I tried to find a Walmart for one of those but the small town I got it in didn't have one! I will have a new hitch installed this week tho, I was just using my bumper hitch.
What do I check for on the axel? Once I get it off the bumper hitch into the driveway I will take another photo of it sitting flat! My driveway is tiny tho and I need to wait for some extra eyes! Also where do you take it to get the propane checked? Can a mechanic do that?
Old 05-26-2014, 11:36 AM   #6

Registry
Quote:
The issue with trailer tires is they may look great on the outside but are rotting from the inside out and will just fall apart while going down the road one day without warning.... as I said if that trailer was sitting as you say for two years in a damp field and they are more than 4 years old best to spend the bucks and just replace them.

Best to check around locally and find an RV place that people like to have your propane checked out.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #7

Checking tires is all about date codes, visual condition may not be an indicator of age.

The best place top get the propane system checked out is at a Propane dealer. Some mechanics may know about propane, but it is your life you are risking.

Take a look at other Scamps from the 90's onwards and visualize how low theirs sit vs. yours. At 30+ years, axle sag is almost a given.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:37 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
After months of searching for the right little trailer, I finally picked up my very own 1980 '13 Scamp!

Now I just need to figure out where to start! It's in pretty good condition for sitting on a farm in Washington untouched for 2 years, but its got some things that need fixing as well! It has a sagging door, a water tank that hasn't been used for 7+ years and when we tried to test the burners there was a burst of flames that came out of the knob!

I have been poking around this forum for a few months now and I know there is a great wealth of information, but I can't decide where to start. What is most important? Where is an easy place to jump in? Maybe I will just start cleaning and see what happens....

Here is a picture of her on our drive home. Don't mind the pool noodle on the back end! It was a last min fix since my hitch was too high and no where was open on a Sunday to get it fixed! I stopped in Safeway and grabbed some tape and pool noodle to keep her tail end from getting scrapped in case we hit a bump! She made it home in one piece and I didn't even scrape a noodle! Better safe and funny looking then sorry!! Attachment 71544

Water Tank... Camping World has a cleaner/sanitizer kit to take care of that.
Tires... Here in PNW Les Schwab is generally considered the place for tires.
Stove top... Flames where you don't want them usually is the work of spiders. Take the burners apart and clean. Clean the line between the burners and the flame valves (those knobs that are supposed to adjust the flame). Pipe cleaners or gun cleaning brush along with compressed air should take care of it.

PS What part of Oregon are you in. I'm in Salem if you're close I might be able to help further. You can send PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #9

Oregon
Good call! I will stop by Les Schwab this week! I would hate to have a blow out on the freeway!

Byron, do you know what the water tank cleaner is called? I am in Hood River so we don't have a camping world but I can probably find it on Amazon! If I were closer I would take you up on some help in a second!! I think I will stick to a propane dealer for the stove, that is probably more then I would trust my self to handle!
Old 05-26-2014, 04:29 PM   #10

For the most part water tank cleaners/sterilizers are nothing more than common household bleach that you dilute. Google "RV water tank cleaning" and you will get a ton of hits.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:34 AM   #11

Oregon
Smile

Thanks Bob!
Old 05-27-2014, 09:45 AM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Byron, do you know what the water tank cleaner is called? I am in Hood River so we don't have a camping world but I can probably find it on Amazon!
Most of the tanks do not drain well so sediment remains in the bottom of the tanks. Pick yourself up a Water Heater Tank Rinser for about $6 - Walmart and Camping World or pretty well any RV shop will have them.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #13

Oregon
Oh great! Who knew there were so many little gadgets and things to make this all easier!
Old 05-31-2014, 08:18 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Congratulations Sarah, you should consider joining us at Fall NOG.

Safe travels, always.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #15

Oregon
Thanks Donna!
Silver Falls is so beautiful! Maybe I will have my lil' Scamp all cleaned up by then!
Old 06-04-2014, 08:18 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You have several months Sarah! Hope to meet you

Fun times ahead!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote