OneWithRiver - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2023, 08:51 AM   #1

Name: Marcia
Trailer: Casita
LA
OneWithRiver

Hi, I am OneWithRiver. I live in Baton Rouge, LA. I’ve inherited an older Casita from my mom & stepdad. The Casita weathered a flood in 2016. My stepdad reports that the floor was soft when he purchased the trailer twenty + year's ago. The trailer is in pretty good shape considering the age. Both the first owner and my stepdad kept the trailer up we'll, save the floor. I suspect redoing a fiberglass floor is daunting enough to stop most from pursuing this option. Indeed, I’m wondering about how realistic the project is. So, I am gathering information on how to repair the compromised wood under the flexible fiberglass layer of flooring. (1) I’m looking for a short-term fix to use the Casita temporarily and long-term fix recommendations for the future. I contracted with a friend to make wooden replacements for the pressed wood cabinet doors/covers & the bathroom door. The replacement doors/covers turned out great & I will install them before long. (2) We patched the small holes on the outside fiberglass of the Casita with white marine epoxy. I wonder if Casita records color codes like cars, as the dried white epoxy looks greyish. (3) I took the awning compartment down to check for and repair leaks on the Casita’s outside surface. Does anyone have hints for cleaning the awning? Do I clean the awning while it’s off the Casita or after putting the awning back on? I’m full of questions. I have all the original paperwork that came with the Casita purchase. I’m reading through the documents now. I’m happy to connect with other Casita/Scamp owners via this site! Thanks ahead for any help or companionship. Happy Camping
onewithriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 05:46 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
In my Casita, previous owner had put down a floor on the inside over the fiberglass using 5/8 OSB plywood then a 1/4 marine grade plywood on top as a finish floor.
When I got it I Varnished the top layer but the OSB wood under the marine plywood was again soft and rotting.
I cut out all this wood, with an osilating plunge cutter down to the fiberglass and replaced it with 5/8 marine grade plywood then again put the 1/4 back on top of this.
this year after applying another coat of varnish on the 1/8 plywood, I got those interlocking rubber matts and did the whole floor to help insulate it in cold weather camping.
I would send pictures but for some reason I never could post pictures on this site from my files. Sorry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote