Order placed - now comes the waiting - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 13' 2012 Scamp
Wisconsin
Order placed - now comes the waiting

My wife and I tented as we have for years over labor day and endured a lot of rain, cold & wind and generally ugly conditions. Decided to bail a day early and on the way out of the campground in Munising, MI we saw both a Scamp and a Casita and thought - wow, those look really nice, small, and fun.

Fast forward after a fun month of researching...

Ordered a 13' standard Scamp today, layout 2 with the toilet & shower and hot water heater. Option package including fridge, screen door, city water, stove window, battery pack, gravel shield, etc. Got one not built or wired for roof AC so that we get a nice big 14" extra roof vent that way. We liked the side cabinets best for easier access while the table is up and it just felt bigger to see the back wall uncluttered in the one 13' we were able to view in person.

Added the 3 speed fan, crank windows for light rain ventilation, furnace, bike rack receiver, vinyl floor, brakes, and 3 additional well placed dome lights and 2 AC outlets. Also the larger group 27 sized battery.

Picking it up near the end of the month at the factory - looking forward to a long and fun relationship with it.

Thanks for everyone's valuable posts - this forum has been a fantastic source of info and helped us make much more informed decisions (we hope).
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Pictures would be great of the inside. Have fun.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:33 AM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Congrats! Maybe we will even see your new baby, as it lives where our new baby lives (grandbaby, that is).

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:54 AM   #4

Name: Jen
Trailer: 2008 13ft Scamp 2nd owner
Wisconsin
Registry
Thumbs up

Congrats to another Wisconsinite!

We just purchased our new-to-us 2008, August 26. We took the maiden voyage over the Labor Day holiday.

One thing, when everyone stated to be prepared for lookers and tours.... THEY WEREN'T EXAGERATING!!!

We had been forwarned... but I had no idea...
We had about 30 people stop and talk with us or make "cute,etc" comments. We did 6 tours (15 people or so). One of the state groundskeepers, who was mowing at the time, stopped and visited for about a 15 mins just to tell us how much we were going to love it... and how much he loved his Play-Mor II! Of course, he also came back off-duty and we made a new friend over roasted weenies, smores, and a few beers!

I hope you enjoy yours as much as we do ours!

Jen (and Jay)
jalanjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I might recommend the Viking Village Campground in Stoughton. We have stayed there several times when we have visited our kids in Madison. It is clean and has a pool. We went antiquing and canoeing while we were there.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #6

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
We know all about waiting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post

Picking it up near the end of the month at the factory - looking forward to a long and fun relationship with it.
John,
We placed an order for a 13 foot Escape trailer on August 5th and we pick it up this coming Monday (October 3). Only 3 days to go! Escape sent photos today (September 30) of the finished trailer which are now in our trailer profile. Patience is not one my virtues so the wait has seemed endless but I think it will have been worth it come the "big day!"
Best wishes on your new trailer. It sounds like you've put a lot of thought into it!
Phil
Old 09-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
How exciting! Congrats to the new egg owners John and wife, and Phil & Dan

I agree with Kevin, pictures are always welcome and I'd love to see the owners with big ole grins!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:41 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I bet you will find yourselves doing a lot more camping now, since it will be so much more comfortable and convenient.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:51 PM   #9

Wisconsin
I didn't think Escape made a 13' option. The web site when I looked had 15' as the smallest. Are they custom only - are they cheaper or are they in the 16K - 18K range?

There were aspects of the Escape that I really liked better, but we didn't want the size and the pick up would have required a much bigger plan.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:29 AM   #10

John, yes Escape will build the 13 footer. They took it off the production line when the 15 footer started being produced. It seemed everyone who originally thought they wanted a 13 footer really went after the 15 footer, so the smaller trailer dropped off.

All their trailers are custom, or rather built for a specific customer. Looking at the production schedule, the next spot to get a trailer built is in February. If you're truly interested, give Reese and Tammy a call... they're the ones to give you the scoop. They really nice people who will give you honest answers and stellar customer service.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #11

Wisconsin
Good to know I guess if we ultimately find the 13' Scamp just a few feet too small.

They should put that on their web site (13' build to order trailers available, please call).
Old 10-25-2011, 07:46 PM   #12

Wisconsin
The living room is staged with all the outfitting purchases. Heading up Thursday night to pick up the new 13' Scamp on Friday. Looks to be a sunny day in Backus - can't wait! The obligatory picture in front of the sign should be posted next week.

Spending night one about 20 miles away in case we need to return Saturday morning to fix anything before driving the long return trip.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #13

Good for you JOHN! We'll wait for that picture too!
Old 10-26-2011, 11:06 AM   #14

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
like expectant grandparents, we are ALL waiting for you, the new parents, to post photos of your brand new babies!!! how exciting for each of you--a new scamp and a new escape to add to our happy family.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Congratulations! You may want to camp one night in the trailer just to make sure everything works OK before the long drive home. I think there is a campground near the factory.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
¡Hola! from Las Cruces, New Mexico. Congrats! on the new Scamp, JohnF. I am sure you will really enjoy it. The options you added will really make it a comfortable rig.

Reeves99 (Phil), Congrats! on your new Escape as well. Really a beautiful unit. I am sure you will really enjoy it as well.

Hope to see pics & updates from you both soon.

Travel Safe & Camp Peacefully,

** ** AW

2005 16' Scamp Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailer
Side Dinette, Front Shower & Head
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:54 PM   #17

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
My wife and I tented as we have for years over labor day and endured a lot of rain, cold & wind and generally ugly conditions. Decided to bail a day early and on the way out of the campground in Munising, MI we saw both a Scamp and a Casita and thought - wow, those look really nice, small, and fun.

Fast forward after a fun month of researching...

Ordered a 13' standard Scamp today, layout 2 with the toilet & shower and hot water heater. Option package including fridge, screen door, city water, stove window, battery pack, gravel shield, etc. Got one not built or wired for roof AC so that we get a nice big 14" extra roof vent that way. We liked the side cabinets best for easier access while the table is up and it just felt bigger to see the back wall uncluttered in the one 13' we were able to view in person.

Added the 3 speed fan, crank windows for light rain ventilation, furnace, bike rack receiver, vinyl floor, brakes, and 3 additional well placed dome lights and 2 AC outlets. Also the larger group 27 sized battery.

Thanks for everyone's valuable posts - this forum has been a fantastic source of info and helped us make much more informed decisions (we hope).
Sounds like a nicely ordered 13', I'm sure you will really enjoy it.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:11 PM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Wishing you the best with your Scamp

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote