Ordering Scamp 5th Wheel - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2014, 10:53 AM   #21

Name: Emily
Trailer: Future Scamp 5th Wheel owner
Ohio
A lot to think about! How much space is actually available in the truck bed with the trailer in place? We have a regular size truck bed. If anyone has a picture to share of the truck bed area, that would be great. Or, what types of stuff do you pack in your truck bed?
Bessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:10 AM   #22

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
It depends on where your hitch is located, etc. I have space to put two Rubbermade Action Packers in the back against the tailgate, and have space for a couple jerry cans for extra water up forward. In this case, I also had a crate at the front of the bed with stuff I was hauling to a relative in Washington.

www.justfinding.blogspot.com
John & BJ S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #23

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Remember the fantastic fan works on 12V and vents outside air while the A/C requires 110V.

Ah, of course. Boondocking one might appreciate the Fantastic Fan.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #24

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
I have no idea what the Scamp 5th wheel goes for when ordered, but in the FOR SALE section of FGRV is a 2010 Escape 5th wheel. Although it is in Alberta, the currency exchange would make it a good buy. Escape is a well built and thought out camper.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-65747.html

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #25

Ohio
Thanks for the pic John/BJ. It helps me better visualize. And thanks for the heads up on the Escape, Alice. We like the bunks for the young'uns that the scamp offers otherwise I would be all over that.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #26

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
I too, carry two action packers in the back of the bed, but find they like to "ride" forward. I use a tension bar to keep them from moving forward and interfering with the coupler arm on the trailer. Had one action packer crunched beyond repair before I started using the tension bar. I also carry a small cooler for drinks in the cargo bed and a Rubbermaid two step step stool because we don't find the Scamp's narrow step adequate for going in and out. Also lay bagged camp chairs on either side of the hitch.

Sent via Mental Telepathy directly to Fiberglass RV
Old 09-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #27

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
Emily Welcome. As a Scamp 5er owner let me say this. If I were ordering a new one I would get the furnace and the heat strip in the air conditioner. I would definitely add the second fresh water tank. I added one to mine, 12 gallons don't go far. I also would let Scamp put the TV antenna in and cable access. Gas and electric water heater, a screen door and a fantastic fan for boon docking. Are you going to get a generator? I have two 2000 Honda's. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
I suggested getting the electric option on the water heater. I must have been half asleep. All you need is the gas. Turn it on about five minutes before you need it. I stand corrected on myself. LOL.
Best of luck on your purchase.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:28 PM   #28

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
The only situation I can think of where an electric water heater option might be worthwhile would be if you were staying long term (months) in one place with power.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #29

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If it were up to me (and it's NOT) I'd say... get EVERYTHING you possibly can. You know how you camped in the PAST, but no one has a crystal ball.. where MAY you be camping five years from now?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #30

Florida
Registry
Most state parks and private CGs have electric hook ups. Why burn propane you have to pay for when electricity is included in the camping fee. I have used electricity to heat water far more than I have used propane, and it's as easy as flipping a switch from inside the trailer.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:34 PM   #31

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Most state parks and private CGs have electric hook ups. Why burn propane you have to pay for when electricity is included in the camping fee. I have used electricity to heat water far more than I have used propane, and it's as easy as flipping a switch from inside the trailer.

That's right. There is no way we would buy a trailer without dual electric/gas heater. No bother with propane and no expense.

With children, I would be very wary of space heaters. Would have to watch them every minute. (The children and the heater!)

We have a Maxx fan and it will often cool off the trailer in two minutes and keep us from using the A/C. I expect that the Fantastic fan works similarly well.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:14 AM   #32

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
With children, I would be very wary of space heaters. Would have to watch them every minute. (The children and the heater!)

We have a Maxx fan and it will often cool off the trailer in two minutes and keep us from using the A/C. I expect that the Fantastic fan works similarly well.

When it is cool outside, the Fantastic Fan will pull cool air into the trailer if a window is cracked open, providing natural A/C. Fresh air is definitely preferable to cooled, recirculated air......unless fellow campers have campfires and smoky air gets pulled in. I do not find that preferable to conditioned air.

As to space heaters, I have a ceramic heater made by Pelonis. It is maybe 7" x 7" x 10" high. It puts out a lot of heat, turns off if it gets tipped over, and the outer case stays cool to the touch. No danger to children, but if I did have children, I would put it on the counter next to or on top of the stove out of reach. I never found the heat strips in the A/C in my Scamp 19 to be a good heating method. In some cases, did not put out enough heat and took too long to raise the temperature. They worked OK if the outside temperatures were in the upper 50s or above. Maybe others have had different experiences. Last time I used them it was in the lower 40s and my wife woke me up at 2:00 am because her teeth were chattering and she was, as she put it, freezing. That was in the sleeping loft.

And even the safest appliance can malfunction, including a ceramic heater. But around May of 2013, the man who showed me his Scamp 19 (he lives in Weeki Wachee, Fl, and gave me many invaluable suggestions when I was considering the purchase of a Scamp) told me that his heat strips caught on fire during the previous "summer" (2012) when they were in Alaska and would have destroyed the trailer if they had not been sitting at the dinette when it happened. Probably a fluke occurrence, but it gave me a reason to be concerned. Proves Forrest Gump is right. "It Happens!"

Old 09-06-2014, 06:09 AM   #33

Ohio
Wow, Carl, that story is worrisome.
Any additional thoughts on tow vehicle? We are limited to a pickup with the 5th wheel of course, but any thoughts on the best family sized pickup? The Sierra is sufficient but just wondering if there were any others that were roomier on the inside or bigger truck beds, etc. I have heard Rams are more car like on the inside, for example...
Old 09-06-2014, 06:13 AM   #34

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Bessie, if you currently camp, you should load up your family and head to Dillon State Park. All, or part, of the days from Sept. 16 to 21. If you look at the rally section, you will find more information and how to get more. It will give you a lot of ideas, for mods and such.

There are a lot of Casitas, but also other fiberglass units as well. We have a little open house, or should I say houses, on Sat. morning. Gives you a chance to collect ideas. We always welcome people interested in Fiberglass, whether they have one, or are hoping to get one.

Most of use are older, but their are a couple of folks that bring their younger children.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:14 AM   #35

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Very true. Thanks Jack
Old 09-06-2014, 08:37 AM   #36

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Unless you live full time in your trailer with shore power, it would take many years to recover the initial cost of the electric option on the water heater.
Still, a belt and suspenders can be a comfort!
No worries...
Electrical appliances are generally safe, and while the electric circuit to the water heater , the A/C , or the heat strip could short out, the likelihood is too remote to be concerned beyond normal maintenance and inspection.
We leave the power, water, and gas on at home when we travel even though the chances of a failure are greater than in the camper.
I'll bet there are a thousand car fires for every trailer fire, and most trailer fires are propane refrigerator related anyway. Still I prefer a fridge over an intrinsically safe icebox and a heat strip over a coal stove!

Dust bunnies are combustible, so clean an service your appliances regularly, and be sure that all electrical circuits have proper breakers.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:47 AM   #37

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Unless you live full time in your trailer with shore power, it would take many years to recover the initial cost of the electric option on the water heater.
Still, a belt and suspenders can be a comfort!

Floyd,

It is my understanding that the two way water heater has an automatic ignition system and a switch so that the water heater can be turned on from inside the trailer and the gas only model has to be manually lit.

Is this correct?

If so, maybe the added convenience is more important to some people than the pay back time.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:57 AM   #38

Registry
Quote:
Floyd,

It is my understanding that the two way water heater has an automatic ignition system and a switch so that the water heater can be turned on from inside the trailer and the gas only model has to be manually lit.

Is this correct?

If so, maybe the added convenience is more important to some people than the pay back time.

That is true, most of us are willing to pay something for convenience!
Redundancy ain't all bad either.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #39

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
The heat strips in my trailer must be turned on before the trailer gets cold. If I wait until it's cold in the trailer the heat strips will never recover.

I found this the hard way when we were in Bryce Canyon in September of last year. Daytime temps were 70 and nighttime temps in the mid 20s. The first night I turned the heat on at 3 AM and also had to use the propane furnace to get the trailer warm. The second night I turned on the heat strips before going to sleep and the trailer stayed toasty all night. The heat strips are wonderful but they have limitations.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:14 PM   #40

Registry
Quote:
As to space heaters, I have a ceramic heater made by Pelonis. It is maybe 7" x 7" x 10" high. It puts out a lot of heat, turns off if it gets tipped over, and the outer case stays cool to the touch. No danger to children, but if I did have children, I would put it on the counter next to or on top of the stove out of reach. I never found the heat strips in the A/C in my Scamp 19 to be a good heating method. In some cases, did not put out enough heat and took too long to raise the temperature. They worked OK if the outside temperatures were in the upper 50s or above. Maybe others have had different experiences. Last time I used them it was in the lower 40s and my wife woke me up at 2:00 am because her teeth were chattering and she was, as she put it, freezing. That was in the sleeping loft.

That is an odd report since the fan in the A/C moves far more air than the Pelonis , And the heat strip is of the same or greater wattage than the Pelonis. Our heat strip will toast us out of our 13 at temps far below freezing.
Even though heat should rise to the loft, I have heard reports of the loft being hard to heat or cool... Some say its due to the underside of the loft being exposed and elevated. some have even installed a fan to force air into the loft.

Tags
scamp