Peter from the Bay Area - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Smile Peter from the Bay Area

Hi,
I am the proud new owner of a ~1980 Scamp.
See:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...fer-45277.html

For everyone who wants to know. I was able to register the trailer in California without too much difficulty.
Now it's time to restore and I will ask a lot of questions

Thanks,
Peter
Peter Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #2

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Welcome, Peter!
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Welcome and congrats Peter!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Hi Peter! I'm glad you were able to save that trailer and get it back on the road.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul VT16 1985
SF camping suggestions...

I noticed your location in the Bay area. Do you have any suggestions for overnighting within walking distance of public transportation into SF?
AP
Ami P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
You mean there was less bureaucratic red tape in CA than Nevada when it came to registering a trailer w/o a title? That is shocking. So I wonder if now that it's been registered in CA if you decide to sell it if the buyer will be able to register it in any state with no problem? Including Nevada? Would that be a legal way to get around title issues? Sell it to a resident of CA who registers it and then sells it back to the original owner who could then register it in their home state?
Old 05-03-2011, 05:13 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Hansen View Post
Hi,
I am the proud new owner of a ~1980 Scamp.

For everyone who wants to know. I was able to register the trailer in California without too much difficulty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
So I wonder if now that it's been registered in CA if you decide to sell it if the buyer will be able to register it in any state with no problem? Including Nevada? Would that be a legal way to get around title issues?
Unfortunately, maybe not... in all other States...
I have a speculation on this subject which may or may not be true.

I'm willing to bet that Peter got a PTI "registration" which does not include a Title. If your trailer obviously qualifies, and does not have a previous California "Trailer Coach" title, then it is relatively hassle free.

When I converted my Fiber Stream's classification from "Trailer Coach" to "Camp Trailer" in order to qualify for my "PTI" plates, the clerk was adamant about me understanding the quirk that now exists in California law.

A "regular" PTI registration is not a "Registration" of a titled property; it is an "Identification" of a vehicle that is legal to be towed on California roads. Legal semantics are very important here.
(Thus the "I" in "PTI")
No Title is required for the PTI program.
However, if you are surrendering a Title from a previous Registration (as I was) you have the OPTION TO PAY AN EXTRA $17 FEE TO MAINTAIN THAT TITLE. If you decline to exercise your option, then the trailer is IDENTIFIED without a TITLE. Any previous titles are purged from the DMV records, and the trailer will forevermore go without a title. California doesn't care about any other state's requirements, they've just taken care of their own problem. I doubt that Nevada will accept that trailer if they insist on having a Title even now. This trailer may now be sold within California, and any state that does NOT require a title.

If anyone knows different, I would be HAPPY to be proven wrong!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #8

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Frederick, you are under a common misunderstanding of PTI or Paperless title registration.
With PTI registration you can get a title or Pink skip for an additional $16.00.
Several years ago I sold a 13' Boler to a person from San Francisco who never changed the title to his name.
He sold it to a lady from washington and gave her the paperless title transfer form that I gave him. Washington state would not accept it.
She contacted me, I went to DMV and paid for a paper title which I signed over to her and the problem was resolved.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Interesting...I was basically told what Frederick was told that if I chose to not get a title when getting a PTI would be a big problem to get one at a later date so I chose to get one and I am glad I did.