Plan to Roam US in 13 footer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-09-2016, 07:26 PM   #1

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Looking for 13' Burro or ?
Idaho
Plan to Roam US in 13 footer

My name is Bruce, I live in Hailey Idaho. 60 years young. We went camping as kids, my dad worked for Travco/Dodge Motor Home, in Brown City, Michigan…. big, beautiful fiberglass RVs of the 1970s (see pic). I was a backpacker in college. Camping these days... not so much. I want to change that.

I have seen Scamps on the road forever, but only recently became interested in buying a 13’ fiberglass trailer. After contemplating a vintage “canned ham” (eyed Serro Scotty) restoration, I decided I like the look, yet more importantly - the functionality, of an “egg” travel trailer.

The Burro fits my aesthetics the best. The styling of all the fiberglass trailers is appealing to me (probably from "Travco" days). I do not currently own a trailer and am posting a want ad for a Burro, Scamp and Uhaul. Solo traveler.

Greetings and I look forward to being part of the forum and group. Thank you.

98point6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:35 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
How interesting.. do any of these still exist?

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:40 PM   #3

Idaho
Hi gordon2, I see faded ones in the weeds now and then. Other than these sightings, I haven't thought of them for forty five years until now. I'm sure their memory has helped to draw me here. BK
Old 03-09-2016, 08:48 PM   #4

Name: Christian
Trailer: Escape 2017, 17B
Florida
I have seen some things on facebook. There are groups devoted to restoring older motorhomes. I don't remember the groups name, but If you do a search, they shouldn't be to hard to find. Good Luck on your Egg hunt Bruce.
Christian in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:11 PM   #5

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa in FL View Post
Good Luck on your Egg hunt Bruce.
I appreciate your best wishes, Lisa in FL! Rarely see them in my area, never a Burro. But I haven't been looking all that long. Have CL listings running, like so many others. My Mom is in assisted living in Indianapolis and I drive there often, stay in airbnbs' but hope to replace that with an Egg (maybe found here on fgRV) in between 83333 and 46032.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:18 PM   #6

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Actually there's one where I park my trailer. Talked to the owner one day while he was getting it ready to take out.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:35 PM   #7

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I found a Dodge Travco for sale on a used car lot a couple of years ago. It was in amazing original condition.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:43 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Bruce, welcome to the FGRV forum family. We have had a couple of 13' Scamp trailers over the past 30 years, and loved them both, even while traveling for 4 months at a stretch. Now that we spend 4-5 months in our travels, we (the wife) decided to get a little more room (17' and 6'4" interior height with shower).....sooo glad we did.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:51 PM   #9

Florida
Bruce, you could check out the classifieds on this site. There are trailers for sale, but they usually are sold quickly.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:56 AM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hello Bruce and welcome. Craig's list is your best bet. Also look here:

Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers For Sale | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

These trailer are in high demand so they don't last long. There is a buyer's check list in the left hand column of this page, under tutorials.
Good hunting, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:56 AM   #11

Idaho
monB and Roger H: Thanks for confirming the Dodge Motor Homes to be cool. They were, they are. I was a teenager and didn’t appreciate them at the time.

David B: I confess - haven’t actually been inside a 13’. Except for in YouTube videos. Glad to know an extended stay is comfortable. I’m 6’3” so I’ve given up the idea of headroom (as with the canned hams I was considering). I won’t be cooking too much which would require standing. A bed, a table and shifting between the two. Then out the door!

Lisa in FL: Yes, I’m on Craigslist, both listing and looking. ID, OR , MT, WA. And it seems that when a trailer is listed anywhere on CL, it gets noticed and shared on your classifieds here, as well as on Fiberglass RV’s For Sale. I have both site’s ad pages open on my computer and refresh them often. I also use a ‘Search all of CL’ website.

Raz: They don’t last long - that’s for darn sure. I figure I’ll be buying one through photos, wire (PayPal) a deposit (which makes me nervous), followed by a drive to get it. Or I’ll miss the boat forever. I hope to either find a trailer “close” to home, return to ID and do repairs… but figure the scenario will be: make a purchase as part of a trip to Midwest to visit my family (buy then use it, w/o or defer repairs). I looked and looked for Tutorials (buyers check list) - where is it please?

Thanks all for the hellos and advice. B
Old 03-10-2016, 07:49 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98point6 View Post
Raz: They don’t last long - that’s for darn sure. I figure I’ll be buying one through photos, wire (PayPal) a deposit (which makes me nervous), followed by a drive to get it. Or I’ll miss the boat forever.
Just be very, very careful of SCAMS. They happen a lot. If the price to condition seems to good to be true, it probably is! It may take a while to find the trailer of your dreams, but you could lose that dream in a heartbeat to someone out to just take your money. If you see an ad and want opinions, just ask. Perhaps someone local to the trailer can actually go see it for you.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:09 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The Buyer's Checklist is on the "Document Center" in the "More" tab at the top of the page. Here's a direct link: Buyer's Check List

Agree with Donna. Outright scams aren't the only thing you have to watch out for. More than one person thought they were buying a ready-to-camp trailer (and paid a ready-to-camp price) only to find out they acquired a project needing extensive rehab work. A thorough inspection, paying special attention to the condition of the floor, can save you a lot of grief. A second set of eyes is not a bad idea, someone who is not emotionally invested in the purchase.

If you have a smartphone, you can install the FiberglassRV app, allowing you to post questions and pictures and receive input and advice from the members here in real time.

Patience and persistence…

Best wishes in your "egg hunt"!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:09 AM   #14

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98point6 View Post
monB and Roger H:... I’m 6’3” so I’ve given up the idea of headroom ...
I am six foot even and I sleep diagonally in my Scamp 16 bed to be comfortable. While many people do sleep two people in this bed, I don't think that would work so well for me since I stretch out.

At 6'3" I would expect the bed to be a big issue for you. You should lie down in the bed to see how it fits and also consider the larger beds available on some models.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:33 AM   #15

Florida
You could try the Scamp factory. I think they are in the Midwest, so near you. They might have a trade in from someone going to a different size fbgrv. I also saw a couple Scamps on this site www.govplanet.com. I think they guaranteed inspection.

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 03-10-2016, 09:42 AM   #16

Idaho
Donna D and Jon in AZ: Good advice. I’ve done Craigslist for awhile and know that is where a ton of scammers lurk. Buying a trailer there could be a “perfect storm” (desirable item that buyers often jump at) where it could end badly if seller is unscrupulous. Ideally, finding a trailer connected with this group would be optimum. Great advice - have someone local check it out. I’m offering a finder’s reward per a sale (again, I’m on high alert if its through CL) for spotting an egg, this fee could apply to someone doing a diagnostic (more great advice) visit as well. “Floor”, thanks.

Appreciate you pointing out the Buyers Check List location.

“Patience and persistence” you say - gonna keep that front and center.

gordon2: Yeah, I had kinda figured sleeping at a diagonal was a given, like stooping while awake. Thanks much for relaying your first hand experience. Are there larger beds in 13ft. models? Part of me thinks I could tough it out (sleep fetal and/or toes jammed in corners - you've no doubt tested those options)… but weeks on end (maybe not). Hmmm… finding a Burro, Scamp, etc to test… they just don’t show up around here.

A FiberglassRV app... how cool!!!

Lisa in FL: I'll check with the Scamp factory and govplanet - Wow, many thanks.

You folks are very generous with your time to a newbie.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:58 AM   #17

Florida
Shorten 146 has a trailer for sale in Ontario. With the current exchange of 1usd to 1.3ish Cad, might be an option for you. A larger trailer could also give you bigger bed/mod options

Old 03-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #18

Florida
Sorry, the post is by Shorton146

Old 03-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #19

Name: Julie
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Indiana
We're in Indianapolis and have a Scamp 13'. If you're here visiting family and would like to look at ours, we'd be glad to show it to you.
Julie N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #20

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I am six foot even and I sleep diagonally in my Scamp 16 bed to be comfortable. While many people do sleep two people in this bed, I don't think that would work so well for me since I stretch out.

At 6'3" I would expect the bed to be a big issue for you. You should lie down in the bed to see how it fits and also consider the larger beds available on some models.
At 6'5" tall, and a veteran of five Scamps over the years, allow me to direct you to either a Burro 17' Widebody (there are a few 14' widebodies out there as well from when they were being built in Escondido) or the Eggcamper.

You can "make do" in a Scamp Deluxe dinette bed, but you can sleep comfortably in a Burro or Eggcamper. The Burro 17 I had was one of the best beds I've ever slept in. Jim Palmer, the designer and owner of Eggcamper made his basic design after the Burro 17 widebody, so it has the wide bed too.

Craigslist is a great place to do business, actually. I've bought and sold a number of trailers there. The secret is to make phone contact and do your due diligence. A legitimate seller will be more than happy to answer all your questions, send you extra photos and chat with you on the phone. Ask detailed questions that a trailer owner will know the answers to, but a scammer won't be able to. Likely, you'll never get a scammer to talk to you over the phone anyway as legitimate phone numbers are traceable and most scams originate off-shore with VOIP numbers.

If you have any doubt about the deal for any reason, just don't do it. It's that simple. Most legitimate sellers will hold the trailer for a small deposit via PayPal. Most I've bought from have actually declined to take a deposit with my assurance that I'd be there in driving time. I've declined deposits as well with the assurance that the person was "on the way," even from upstate New York.

That personal contact is important on any Craigslist sale. It doesn't guarantee you won't be defrauded, or that the trailer is in the condition described, but you can go a long way to working out any questions you may have.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote