Planning on 6 months in a camper? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-01-2014, 08:25 AM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sounds like you got a great deal! Hope you'll post pics and let us know how this works out. After last winter in the Midwest, the idea of full-timing in a 13' Scamp seems a bit crazy... But then, I've always thought a touch of insanity is part of the job description for a youth pastor LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:21 AM   #22

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by trivial View Post
Went to look at (and brought home) a 2000 model Scamp today. Let the fun begin!
Congratulations. I don't think you will need a diesel 3/4 ton to pull her though.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:41 PM   #23

Name: Matt
Trailer: 13' scamp
Indiana
Thanks all!

I'll get some pics up on Monday when I get back home. The AC is a Coleman Mach something or another. It also has a vent in front of it that may get a fan installation.

As for the 3/4 ton diesel... Do I need one? No. Will it haul more and get better mpg than my Cherokee? Yes.
Really, I just want a truck... Need has nothing to do with it.

trivial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #24

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
As for the 3/4 ton diesel... Do I need one? No. Will it haul more and get better mpg than my Cherokee? Yes.
Really, I just want a truck... Need has nothing to do with it.

I understand, I intend to have a truck around until I leave this place. I am not sure a HD diesel makes economic sense when you factor in how much more expensive diesel is (around 50 cents a gallon here), and the more expensive oil changes, oil filters, fuel filters, etc., for the diesel truck. The engine may last a lot longer requiring fewer repairs, or it may have very expensive repairs. Then there is the harsher ride in a 3/4 ton truck, but I am not one to talk. I have an old one ton sitting on the farm and I will run to town in it just cause I like driving the old beast. In granny low it will pull down the gates of hell.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:02 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Good Thinking

Our daughter and son-in-law bought a trailer (more like Ricky and Lucy's in Long, Long Trailer) for the time he was posted at Fort Bliss in El Paso. When they were ready to move, they sold the trailer and had money for the down payment on their present condo.

I see you got your Scamp. You don't say where in the US you want to stay. Of course states in the southern tier won't have the winter cold the northern tier will. Although we have woken up to a frozen fountain in Yuma.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0446.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	407.0 KB
ID:	74338

As far as that goes, we experienced 25ºF at Bryce Canyon in July!!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:28 AM   #26

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Bob, you are right!
I just can't stand the thought of throwing money away on rent, which is why I am so seriously considering the idea of a camper. I close on selling my house in the morning… so hopefully I can find a worthy candidate in the next 30 days!

As for the diesel truck, I am looking for one to buy outright. I specifically want a 96-98 dodge with the 12 valve cummins turbo diesel… those have depreciated to about the level they are going to at this point. They still get a pretty easy 20mpg and are all mechanical… which equates to easy to work on. I currently have 3 vehicles and a motorcycle, so I am simply going to consolidate two of those into a used truck so I have it for those times that I would like to have a truck. It wouldn't be a daily driver.

The Dodge pickups in those years had a very reliable engine but I'm told if you do need work it gets expensive. The big issue is those trucks rust very badly. Be sure to get one from a rust free state like Arizona or California.

Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:37 AM   #27

Connecticut
I am curious what it needs and your plans and priorities to update it. How about posting some pictures too.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #28

Name: Matt
Trailer: 13' scamp
Indiana
Here it is airing out. I have no idea how to work any of this stuff, but how hard can it be... Right?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1407112552.289648.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	74423Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1407112567.642036.jpg
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	74424Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1407112578.671060.jpg
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	74425Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1407112593.791340.jpg
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	74426Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1407112605.276679.jpg
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	74427Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1407112615.708143.jpg
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	74428Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1407112625.139891.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	74429Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1407112634.602949.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	74430Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1407112643.779728.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	74431

trivial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #29

Connecticut
It looks pretty nice--like it needs nothing. I suppose you will make some modifications, we all do. I wanted my camper to be something I could live in while working away from home. So I decided to move into it and make changes to things that annoyed me--starting with easy things like LED lights. It took a few months, and now only have very minor annoyances--for example I added some indirect lighting, which I really like, over the bed but have to get up to switch it off--which I really hate, and plan to put those LED strips on two-way switches.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #30

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Matt,
Better to be safe and understand the do-and-donts of your camper. Why don't you check with Scamp for a manual. Also, there is a Scamp manual here in our document section. Maybe it has similar controls to yours.
Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Scamp Manual

Congratulations on your purchase. I looks like a nice little camper.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #31

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Looks like a great start for your own little camper.

BUT... I am a little concerned about the pic showing the back of the refrigerator.

It looks unlike any LP plumbing I have ever seen in a SCAMP and I am guessing that it was added when that Catalytic wall heater was added by a previous owner. I counted about 6 fittings all in the area of the refrigerators flame box and no shut-off valve in sight. I would strongly suggest having an LP professional look at that and suggest any corrections they might see are needed.

Also, Catalytic heaters almost always require that a window or vent be open when being used. If it wasn't included, post the make and model number here and I am sure someone will have an owners manual to share.

And, if you want to add hot water, post another request. I have installed pressure water systems and water heaters in a 13' SCAMP and several other 13'ers and can share some tips on that as well.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #32

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
That looks like the "normal" number of connections sort of. But the arrangement is different than mine that is for sure. I think I have 2 T's in that compartment. One goes to the fridge. One goes to the stove. I would assume a hot water heater might add another connection.

The other thing that is different is my line is running along the floor (along with the wires) and the T's branch "up" and line continues along the wall to get to heater. Don't know if this would have been stock on your year/model or not but it would seem safer than running the connections up the side of the burner.

I also noticed the line running back and down through the floor appears flattened a bit from the bend. Not desirable or indicative of good workmanship.

Anyone with decent mechanical aptitude (or even with little) can do a lot of the work and maintenance if they are willing to learn how. If you have never used a pop rivet or removed one, it's not hard but you do need to know how if your going to do it well.

Practice on scrap, have someone show you, watch YouTube videos. Whatever is appropriate to the task. Electrical and propane I'm not sure I would take on with no knowledge and a YouTube video given a choice.

Camper equipment has certain safety requirements, or knowledge required for safe and successful operation. So if the equipment or RV's are new to you consulting manuals, asking questions, and seeking the advice of professionals is how you gain that knowledge. Or at least how you gain it without a lot of painful and often expensive experience.

If you have never installed a propane line getting someone that knows how to come over and act as a mentor is a good idea. Once you know how that knowledge is yours forever.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:57 PM   #33

Name: Serena
Trailer: Burro
New Hampshire
My Father lived in a 12 ft burro for 5 years. He loved it. I would suggest if you go that rout change the bunks into a dinette so you have some where to sit and a place to sleep. He did not have heat so it did get cold in the Maine winters. We drove cross country in a TAb and that was a step up and everyone loved it. But it was a pain to have a combined eating sleeping area. Good Luck have fun.
Valentinellc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:26 PM   #34

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentinellc View Post
My Father lived in a 12 ft burro for 5 years. He loved it. I would suggest if you go that rout change the bunks into a dinette so you have some where to sit and a place to sleep. He did not have heat so it did get cold in the Maine winters. We drove cross country in a TAb and that was a step up and everyone loved it. But it was a pain to have a combined eating sleeping area. Good Luck have fun.
Good point, a lot of folks have posted on doing a front dining modification for the very reason you state.

No heat? Maine winters? And it got cold? And the Award for understatement in a forum post goes to....

Your dad was one hardy camper I'm guessing.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:25 PM   #35

Name: walmart
Trailer: 2006 casita 17' spirit deluxe
California
Congratulations Matt! I enjoyed how you went from going to look for a trailer to....I just bought one! That was quick. I know that when I bought my trailer I saw it on Clist at 11:30am and at 2pm gave the seller a cashier's check!
I'm happy for you. You did good!.
walmart jonnie is offline   Reply With Quote