Previous members, now returning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2022, 08:15 AM   #1

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Currently shopping
NC
Previous members, now returning

Hi, all, we're back after having had a 1972 Scamp 13 that was too small for us and our dogs, then converted a short school bus that was fun but too much trouble, and are now looking at Casitas, either the Independence Deluxe or the Freedom Deluxe.

We are retired and a good nights sleep can not be over rated. This caused us to at first lean toward the Independence. However that first and second cup of coffee are a close second to sleep and those captain chairs in the Freedom Deluxe came calling. While I like the idea of being able to get up and not crawl over each other, but we do sacrifice a lot of space with that option. We aren't big people and don't need the length of the bed either.

I did not like sleeping in the '72 Scamp. It was listed as 54 wide but the reality of that curve in back made it less. I guess the short question is how does the bed size of a 1972 Scamp compare with the newer Casita beds? Any insights from folks who have either the Independence or the Freedom?
With dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 09:37 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
In 1972, the Scamp bed was only 44-45” wide, so little surprise you struggled. We had to do some rearranging to make ours work.

The Independence doesn’t have a lot of floor space for your dogs. If you prefer twins I’d suggest a Liberty. With a bit of work you can cantilever wider mattresses over the aisle while preserving the floor for the dogs.

The Freedom has a 54” transverse bed. It’s about 9” wider than your Scamp, but you may run into the same issue with the curved corners restricting the back sleeper.

My wife likes her first cup of coffee curled up on the bed, so the twins would suit her fine! I prefer to take a walk outside with mine. If the weather’s bad I’ve been known to hang out in the tow vehicle to avoid disturbing the late sleepers and listen to the news on the radio.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 10:27 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The size of the captains chairs cause the table to be really small. We have the SD model, the side table is a nice size for the two of us, bought a Southern Mattress so the bed is made up all the time.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 06:47 AM   #4

NC
Thanks for those insights

So that old Scamp was small!! Makes me think a double is doable.

Reconsidering all the options now. I thought the decision to get a new Casita was the hard part! Looking at a Independence locally today.

Thanks for feedback

Jeff
Old 07-31-2022, 08:39 PM   #5

NC
After seeing the Independence we’ve decided a 54” mattress will work for us. I will be the one sleeping at the back wall. This concession will get me my first cup served in bed. Marriage is all about compromise. Realizing how small the Scamp was this seems reasonable.

Well I can say with some confidence we will never have three dogs again! Right now only one dog will travel with us.

Thanks so much
Old 07-31-2022, 08:45 PM   #6

NC
We may well regret this, but those swivel chairs just call to both of us. Debated all weekend.

I think we will have bed made up ALMOST a all the time, but want that occasional option of using dinette. But looking at mattress toppers for now. No rush, it’s a long years wait.

Thanks so much!
Old 08-01-2022, 06:05 PM   #7

Arizona
Registry
Molded trailers are really easy to sell, so there’s really very little risk involved. Hardest part will be snagging a Freedom model. Seems to be less common than others.

Enjoy those captains chairs! As far as I know, they’re unique to Casita.
Old 08-02-2022, 08:07 AM   #8

NC
Yep, your right, placed our order yesterday, now the long wait. But feels good to have something to look forward to!
Old 08-06-2022, 10:20 AM   #9

Name: Suzanne and Boe
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Love FD

We are on our second FD Casita. First was a 16 ft then bought new 17. The chairs are very comfortable for us and table size is just right if stuck indoors. We have a Southern mattress so bed always made. I use soft totes under the chairs for storage. Live outside most of the time. Happy hunting!!!
Boe and Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 12:16 PM   #10

Name: RamblinRick
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
We love the independence and just put up the table.
The good night’s sleep is all. I actually designed a table that fits in the closet and fits on the stand frame that comes with the camper. but that also has cup holders and twice the space.

Very nice.
richardabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 01:11 PM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Quick, it's so close...!
https://www.fiberglassclassifieds.co...e-georgia-2885

Save several thousand and start camping NOW!