Propane leak - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-03-2018, 02:09 PM   #1

Name: Jay
Trailer: Scamp 16
Idaho
Propane leak

Hi, I am Jay and new to the forum. I have 16 ft 2016 standard Scamp that has less than 2500 miles on it. I was surprised to smell propane the other day and shut off the source-the propane bottle gauge showed much less propane so definitely leaking. I was using the refrigerator (on propane) and had just finished using the stove.
I do have an appointment at an RV service center but they are three weeks out-my question is-are leaks in propane tube fittings common due to the jostling the trailer often gets going down dirt roads (so may not be the appliances?). The service center told me it would be fine to use the Scamp in the meantime if I did not use propane, of course, but now am wondering if it is safe to turn on the electric refrigerator until I get this problem fixed.
thank you for any insight into propane leaks in a new trailer!

JRSeguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:15 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500, 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Should be fine to use the fridge in electric mode. Certainly first remove the propane tank(s) from the camper and store them in a safe place. Is it possible that the problem is a faulty tank fitting?

Old 07-03-2018, 02:17 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500, 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Propane line leaks don't seem to be common, but definitely get the propane system checked at the beginning of each season. And make sure the LP detector is working.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:21 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Should be fine to use the fridge in electric mode. Certainly first remove the propane tank(s) from the camper and store them in a safe place. Is it possible that the problem is a faulty tank fitting?
I agree with John , remove the tanks and go camping
We had a propane leak on our 1999 Scamp , turned out that the propane tank valve was leaking and even with the valve turned off it continued to leak around the valve stem . Better to be safe than sorry
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:56 AM   #5

Name: Jay
Trailer: Scamp 16
Idaho
Thank you both for replying. I brought it in expecting the worst but the propane sniffer smelled nothing. I guess the $70.00 to have that done and a 125 mile round trip to the RV place was necessary but I still don't understand where the strong smell came from, inside. They said that perhaps that stove knob was not completely shut off. Maybe. Took it camping using the propane appliances and it worked fine so alls well that ends well. Also, took it camping before I brought it in and put a jug of frozen water in the refrigerator (no propane use) and that keep the food cool for a couple of days and cooked outside on camp stove, which I prefer to do anyway on a nice day. The Scamp works well and comfortably as a hard sided tent even when you don't use the propane or electrical conveniences.
JRSeguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:36 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Checking For Propane Gas Leaks

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Dgrnm-Wr0mT-S9
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:53 AM   #7
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSeguin View Post
Thank you both for replying. I brought it in expecting the worst but the propane sniffer smelled nothing. I guess the $70.00 to have that done and a 125 mile round trip to the RV place was necessary but I still don't understand where the strong smell came from, inside. They said that perhaps that stove knob was not completely shut off. Maybe. Took it camping using the propane appliances and it worked fine so alls well that ends well. Also, took it camping before I brought it in and put a jug of frozen water in the refrigerator (no propane use) and that keep the food cool for a couple of days and cooked outside on camp stove, which I prefer to do anyway on a nice day. The Scamp works well and comfortably as a hard sided tent even when you don't use the propane or electrical conveniences.
Is it possible that you had a partially used 1-pound disposable tank for a grill or cook stove inside the trailer? The valves on these are notorious for leaking after they have been used and then removed from an appliance. I have an acquaintance whoís LPG alarm was set off by one leaking in a storage compartment.
CPW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:17 AM   #8

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft RQ
Missouri
Empty spray bottle, a couple of cups of water and a couple of tablespoons of dish detergent, shake it up and spray it on any fitting or connection, or anything else you think might be leaking. If it bubbles it is leaking. (also works on tires)
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:21 AM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I did propane installation for a few years. Propane has no odor, so ethyl mercaptan is added to it to give it that odor so any leak can be easily detected. Over time the mercaptan can build up in older tanks. When a tank gets low the smell becomes more noticeable even though there is no leak. My wife was really sensitive to the odor when we had a gas stove that ran off the old 100 lb tanks. She knew when the tank was almost empty.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:55 AM   #10
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I did propane installation for a few years. Propane has no odor, so ethyl mercaptan is added to it to give it that odor so any leak can be easily detected. Over time the mercaptan can build up in older tanks. When a tank gets low the smell becomes more noticeable even though there is no leak. My wife was really sensitive to the odor when we had a gas stove that ran off the old 100 lb tanks. She knew when the tank was almost empty.
I never heard that, but it does make sense. And some people are more sensitive to mercaptan than others.

CPW is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane