Quality trailer brands similar to Bigfoot? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the market
Washington
Quality trailer brands similar to Bigfoot?

Hi, I'm Mike from WA state. Five or six years I was on this site asking about Fiberglass vs Airstream. I received many thoughtful answers. Anyway, I didn't do anything because I got sick. Now my wife and I are back in the market. It appears that Bigfoot went through bankruptcy and are struggling. Are there any other trailers of comparable quality that we should be considering?

Thanks,

Mike
mfherbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #2

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Escape Trailers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfherbert View Post
Hi, I'm Mike from WA state. Five or six years I was on this site asking about Fiberglass vs Airstream. I received many thoughtful answers. Anyway, I didn't do anything because I got sick. Now my wife and I are back in the market. It appears that Bigfoot went through bankruptcy and are struggling. Are there any other trailers of comparable quality that we should be considering?

Thanks,

Mike
Hi Mike,
Escape Trailers in Chilliwack, BC are the "Cadillac" of new trailers. We've ordered one and are very pleased with all the standard features of the trailer. Wonderful customer service as well. Tell Tammy I sent you. Very easy for you to take across the border as well. They give you all the documents you need to make it easy.
Good luck!
Phil
ps, I owned a Bigfoot so I have high expectations for the Escape
Old 09-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Only one answer from me as well ESCAPE!

By the ever increasing number of them showing up all over North America at the meets there are a lot of people here who would agree.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #4

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the market
Washington
When we were looking before we went up to the Escape factory. Very nice people. Our only concern was that the paneling seemed about 1/8" thick. I fully understand that one has to pay for quality. Have they upgraded?

Mike
mfherbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:15 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Thickness is weight, BigFoot's were heavy because of thickness, because of their weight they went out of business, Escape's are quality but light and towable, you make the choice!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Another vote for the Escape!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfherbert View Post
When we were looking before we went up to the Escape factory. Very nice people. Our only concern was that the paneling seemed about 1/8" thick. I fully understand that one has to pay for quality. Have they upgraded?

Mike
Nothing to do with quality! its the weight. The fiberglass on my Scamp varies on the shell but I would be suprised if the Escapes fiberglass was any thiner than whats on it.

Keep in mind that newer (last 10 years or more) Bigfoots where/are not really total fiberglass shell trailers but more of a composite.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quality

I haven't done a comparative analysis of the trailers in terms of quality however I amazed by the current brands I've used and seen.

We've spent 6 months in both a 1995 Casita 16 and a 1991 Scamp 16. If you didn't know their ages, you'd have thought they were new. We've given dozens of tours in the last year or so and no one ever believes us when we tell their ages. In both cases everything worked and worked well.

Equally amazing to me is all the older rigs I've seen at Fiberglass Rallies that are in great shape after 40 years. The Fiberglass design approach simply provides a strong core.

At the last Fiberglass rally I had the opportunity to inspect a couple of Escapes and an Eggcamper, both well manufactured rigs. To me a good part of choosing a trailer comes down to individual desires and likes as much as anything not to mention the size of your wallet.

We were comfortable in the Casita and now in the Scamp and I'm sure we'd be comfortable in an Escapee or Egg. I will say I have yet to see a trailer that doesn't require modification to meet our personal needs but that's not a quality issue.

Once you've made the decision to go fiberglass, you have chosen quality.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I believe Bigfoot has new ownership and is building trailers again... have no idea if they're "struggling" or if they are doing well.

At RVER V in Arkansas I was able to see 2 Escapes, a 5th wheel and a 19' trailer. I really liked the feel of the 19'. Hope to be able to buy one someday. It is now my absolute favorite egg.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:27 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Keep in mind that newer (last 10 years or more) Bigfoots where/are not really total fiberglass shell trailers but more of a composite.
That's news to me. I know they did make "combo" trailers that were built of fiberglass panels in addition to the molded models. The combo trailer were "stick" built construction.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:36 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Mike, I too am a fan of the Escape and my forever dream trailer will be an Escape 5th wheel. A huge point in favor of an Escape for me is the rivetless construction and the double-pane windows which are an option on some models.

I take it you're only interested in buying new? There are have several Bigfoot come up for sale recently in fabulous shape and great prices.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:09 AM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
That's news to me. I know they did make "combo" trailers that were built of fiberglass panels in addition to the molded models. The combo trailer were "stick" built construction.
Your right about the bigger ones and I should rephrase it in regards to the smaller trailers in that they are not actually molded fiberglass but instead paneled fiberglass trailers.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:42 PM   #13

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I believe Bigfoot has new ownership and is building trailers again... have no idea if they're "struggling" or if they are doing well.

At RVER V in Arkansas I was able to see 2 Escapes, a 5th wheel and a 19' trailer. I really liked the feel of the 19'. Hope to be able to buy one someday. It is now my absolute favorite egg.
Yes Bigfoot is building on an order by order basis.
I looked at Escape as well then settled on a used Bigfoot.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:09 PM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
Yes Bigfoot is building on an order by order basis.
I looked at Escape as well then settled on a used Bigfoot.

Yes Bigfoot DID make "composite" trailers (for select sizes - for a few years.) I looked at a 24 foot "Millenium Edition" - which was made in the 2000 model year and it was a composite.

I understand that they made few other "Millenium edition" sizes as well.

Personally I did not/would not buy a "Millenium Edition" version as, to my mind, they are not "true' Bigfoots ("Bigfeet"?) However their trailers both before and after the 2000 model year are "true" eggs. I love my '99 21 footer, and it is identical to a 2006 21 footer that I saw for sale at a local RV dealer.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Okay, so we're all a bit prejudice... right? No slides, no seams and quality construction that lasts for DECADES. It reminds me of cars. There are certain models of a particular brand that goes on and on... and the same manufacturer builds junk of another model. It's about expectations and budget....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:58 AM   #16

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...Donna D is right "Prejudiced"...and biased too!!! I love my wife for making me buy our Escape when the opportunity came 5 yrs. early. The quality is still there after the payments are finished!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Early Morn Escapes.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #17

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfherbert

Thanks,

Mike
Hi Mike,

I like Bigfoot myself, but I also favor smaller fiberglass egg campers. As a longtime boater, it is clear that fiberglass construction keeps the water out. Water destroys wood, causes rot and mold. We choose fiberglass because anything else is like a tent--wet and stinky, although there are some good offerings in Aluminum--they have sharp displeasing angles and still can still leak. With fewer places for water to get in, an egg camper can last a lomg time. Also fiberglass boats or campers can be brought back to life, no matter how beat up, while other construction methods can not.

Another thing to keep in mind is fuel economy. My research shows that pulling anything but the lightest camper with a V6 will bring you down to around 12mpg--at that point you might as well get something bigger and heavier like a Bigfoot. If you want better than 20 mpg, you need four things, a light foot, willingness to drive slow, a fuel efficient car, and a light 13' egg at or under 1000 lbs. Norm probably has the most fuel efficient rig in here although a manual Jetta Sportwagon TDI pulling a 13' Boler could beat him in fuel economy.

So the trade off is comfort vs fuel economy.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #18

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye
Another vote for the Escape!
Check out Johns blog--lots of good stuff there.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
Hi Mike,
If you want better than 20 mpg, you need four things, a light foot, willingness to drive slow, a fuel efficient car, and a light 13' egg at or under 1000 lbs. .
There is actually only two things you need to do better than 20mpg: a Subaru Outback and a 16' Scamp
Old 09-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #20

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Norm probably has the most fuel efficient rig in here although a manual Jetta Sportwagon TDI pulling a 13' Boler could beat him in fuel economy.

So the trade off is comfort vs fuel economy.

Our experience is that you can have both fuel economy and comfort. We find the Honda CRV very comfortable and economical. It's comfortable while towing and while driving about.

As others have pointed out there are two parts to an economical tow vehicle, cost per mile and cost of ownership. Our Honda's been a winner, particularly on the latter portion, not too expensive to buy and extremely reliable over the lasgt 7 years and 150,000 miles.

As to the Jetta TDI, we'd love to have a diesel but are concerned about Jetta reliability based on articles we've read.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot