Questions from New Member - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2015, 11:17 PM   #1

Name: Deb
Trailer: Planning stage
Oregon
Questions from New Member

Hi everyone. We are a family of 4 + dog, currently PUP-ers and love our little Coleman Taos. Small size does not bother us, we spend most of our time outside anyway. But I am a little tired of cranking and set-up and take-down and wet canvas ... would love to "lock the door and go". LOVE the look, size, and features of the various fiberglass trailers, especially favoring the Trillium right now. Does anyone own a Trillium Outback and sleep 4 in the bunkbed floorplan? Are the bunks strong? Kids are currently 12 and 10, bunks need to handle them at 100+ pounds as they enter their teens ... after that we may toss them outside in a tent. I haven't found bunk weight specs on Trillium website, and mfr has not answered my email. Anyone have any knowledge / experience on this? Also, would love to hear anyone's experience camping in one with 4 people.

Thanks!!
kayakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:37 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the FGRV forum family. I have no experience with Trilliums, but someone will probably answer your specific questions by tomorrow. We did have two teens with us in our 13' Scamp, and I knew nothing about there being a wt. limit on the bunks at that time. We never had any problems, but were over the wt. limit that I now know about. Best of luck with your search.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:49 AM   #3

Name: Al
Trailer: Trillium
California
Hi Kayakamper:

My brother and I used to sleep on the bunks of our 1976 Trillium when we were kids - about 7-12 years old I think. We never had any issues, except that my brother used to constantly roll out of the upper bunk and fall on the dog! My dad put in a retaining bar (about a 1 inch thick wooden dowel installed similar to a shower curtain rod in your home) to keep the dog safe! Other than that, I can't think of any problems other than the lack of head room on the top bunk. Hope this helps!
Old 08-30-2015, 09:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Sandra hanna, here. Welcome to the fiberglass family! Our little 13' scamp had bunks and my grown daughter and son in law slept there on group trips... That's plus their three dogs and ours! He's 6' 2" and the upper bunk did fine. He maybe weighs 150-160. I'd call that as a limit. I worry about that hinged part.
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:05 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I have a girlfriend with children and an Trillium Outback as well as a couple of other camping buddies with children and small trailers such as Scamps and Escapes with bunks at the front.

What your going to find is that yes you can have 2 adults, 2 young teens and a dog in our small trailers - I once did it for a rainy week on the west coast - but I had 2 large dogs with me as well. And yes the bunks will hold a young teen of 100lbs or less. BUT what you are going to find is that once children hit 12 years of age they will start to ask if they can have there own tent to sleep in beside the trailer! The truth is they would rather be in a tent than a trailer with the adults. ;-)

If someone does sleep in the upper bunk I highly recommend they not do it in a nylon covered sleeping bag as it can result in the party sliding off the bunk and hitting the floor hard in the middle of the night - been there done that! Not fun trying to decide in the middle of the night, if you need to take a child to the emerg to have their head checked for injury.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote