Reece thoen - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #21

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
thanks, reece, i will give that number to my husband. we've called your dad in the past for other minor things but never about the solar. thanks, again.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #22
Commercial Member

Name: Reece
Trailer: Outback trillium
Alberta
Not a problem!!
Outback Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
As far as the name "Trillium" as it applies to trailers, are there any trademark issues? I'm guessing not, since (for example) my KZ product is called an Escape and so is the BC-built egg. Of course in both instances one company builds in Canada and the other in the USA. So maybe, are there exclusive rights to build with that name in the respective country? Or is there no exclusivity even within a country? I'm curious.

I guess "Trillium" is a much more unique-sounding name for a trailer than "Escape", though, so perhaps that is why people have a hard time wrapping their brains around 2 different brands with that name attached. Especially when they are both similarly sized FG eggs... it's too easy to think they are siamese twin sisters or something, when in reality they're more like 10th cousins.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #24

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
So maybe, are there exclusive rights to build with that name in the respective country? Or is there no exclusivity even within a country? I'm curious.
What seems unnatural here is the fact that companies typically tend to want to clearly differenciate themselves from one another, not perpetuate confusion between them.

But I do know the Trillium family tree is fairly complex as a result of various failed collaboration attempts and re-births, so I'm guessing we'll never know for sure what the current status is as both current companies seem like they tolerate each other in their current form, and seem to have good reasons to dodge the question instead of giving a point blank answer. It really is up to them to fight it out if they feel a need for it... it just makes it harder for us to explain to other people.

I still don't get the molds argument, though. Seems like anybody can make them, as many trailer brands have been more or less based on the same original molds throughout the years.

Regardless, it's always good to see these guys show up on the forum.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Alberta
Ok!!! Trillium went bankrupt in 1980 so there for no one owns the rights to trillium get it?. So if you want to spend the $100,000 plus to start manufacturing trilliums and also pay the patient cost so no one can use the same name. you can go ahead. There is more than enough business to go around. There is no need to "fight it out".
Old 01-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #26

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
As the saying goes "I have no dog in this fight," so I don't care about the logistics. I'm supportive of any company that builds molded fiberglass trailers as I truly believe competition is good for the consumers.

To keep my head from spinning, I've tried to consider the Canadian company "The Outback," while the California company is "Trillium." Works for me, but YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #27
Commercial Member

Alberta
As I said before I am on this site to purely expand my business. Not to argue logistics or fight out anything. I will continue to be as helpful as possible and keep on producing a high quality product.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #28

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think we all can agree that we need that.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #29
Commercial Member

Alberta
Need what exactly?
Old 01-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #30

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
A High Quality Product with lots of healthy competition to keep the creative juices flowing
Old 01-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #31
Commercial Member

Alberta
Could not agree more!!! Tomorrow I will be done a special build. This trailer has a galvanized frames 100% stainless steel bolts and rivits everywhere making the trailer pretty much rust proof. I will post pics
Old 01-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #32

Oklahoma
You said that only the bathroom model has a holding tank. But what about fresh water, no tank? Only city water? I think the U-Haul 13 I rented back in the '80s might have been like that, can't remember for sure though. (I do recall clearly that the gray water went to the ground.)

The SS/galvanized build sounds great. Now if something rot-proof can be used for the floor, the trailer might last several generations of campers without a rebuild! Just new cushions and axle and stuff every few decades.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #33
Commercial Member

Alberta
I'm not sure if your talking about my trailer? If so the trailer as you can see in the picture is a 2 piece mould, meaning there is nothing to rot.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:06 AM   #34

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Now if something rot-proof can be used for the floor, the trailer might last several generations of campers without a rebuild! Just new cushions and axle and stuff every few decades.
Trilliums have a fiberglass bottom with a sheet of plywood on the inside. On my 34 year old trailer the plywood looks brand new. It looks fairly easy to change if it did rot. fredo411 has Trillium 4500 that has a lot of water damage. I wonder how his floor is.

The part that is really susceptible to rot is the inside of the window frames. There is a plywood flange around the windows. This is what the screws that hold the windows in bite into. They get exposed to moisture one way or another and rot. I would like to replace the wood in mine with something that does not rot. Aluminum? Duradeck? Nylon?

A 50 year trailer is my goal. I hope one of my kids wants it.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:07 AM   #35

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Good to see you on the forum Reece, are you planning on being at any of the up coming RV shows.

I've noticed over the last number of years that Northern Lite & Bigfoot were the only two at the shows here in Vancouver.

Dan
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #36

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback builder View Post
Ok!!! Trillium went bankrupt in 1980 so there for no one owns the rights to trillium get it?. So if you want to spend the $100,000 plus to start manufacturing trilliums and also pay the patient cost so no one can use the same name. you can go ahead. There is more than enough business to go around. There is no need to "fight it out".
In US somebody did spend the money to register TRILLIUM name for travel trailers so, (I think) somebody does owns the (exclusive?) right to use it there.
I have no clue how, if at all, it affects the right to use it in Canada.
I'd appreciate if you could throw some light on the subject.

Ref. Trademarks Home

Word Mark TRILLIUM
Goods and ServicesIC 012. US 019 021 023 031 035 044. G & S: Travel trailers. FIRST USE: 20051114. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20051114
Mark Drawing Code(3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
Design Search Code05.05.25 - Daffodils; Iris (flower); Other flowers
Serial Number78759148
Filing DateNovember 22, 2005
Current Filing Basis1A
Original Filing Basis1A
Published for OppositionJuly 25, 2006
Registration Number3158361
Registration DateOctober 17, 2006
Owner(REGISTRANT) Young, Thomas INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES c/o ALLMARK TRADEMARK 4041 Sugar Maple Drive, Suite A Danville CALIFORNIA 94506
Attorney of RecordThomas P. Philbrick
Description of MarkColor is not claimed as a feature of the mark. The mark consists of a three point image resembling a flower.
Type of MarkTRADEMARK
RegisterPRINCIPAL
Live/Dead IndicatorLIVE
Old 01-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #37

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm not sure if the is the correct place to start discussing trademark infringements. Let the lawyers figure that out. Meanwhile, let's continue to allow the Outback Builder/owner explain his product and we all may gleam some information.
Speaking of which, you keep mentioning rivets and or ss rivets. Where are they used in the construction, around the belly band? Pictures of stages of construction would be beneficial.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #38

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
>>>snip>>>>
Speaking of which, you keep mentioning rivets and or ss rivets. Where are they used in the construction, around the belly band? Pictures of stages of construction would be beneficial.
Something I was wondering about as well.
My Jubilee had rivets into steel plates that were originally under some layers of fiberglass seemingly protected from elements. Still, the plates roted so badly bubbling out the fiberglass. It was a major chore to fix it up. IF they were unprotected, the repair would be simple - drill out, clean the rust stains, apply new. As it was, I had to fix holes in the fiberglass. At the end, I got rid of the rivets and the belly band. If I ever put one on, it will be glued on.
Another question; What do you use for insulation / adhesive do you use?
Old 01-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #39

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
As far as the name "Trillium" as it applies to trailers, are there any trademark issues? I'm guessing not, since (for example) my KZ product is called an Escape and so is the BC-built egg. Of course in both instances one company builds in Canada and the other in the USA. So maybe, are there exclusive rights to build with that name in the respective country? Or is there no exclusivity even within a country? I'm curious.

I guess "Trillium" is a much more unique-sounding name for a trailer than "Escape", though, so perhaps that is why people have a hard time wrapping their brains around 2 different brands with that name attached. Especially when they are both similarly sized FG eggs... it's too easy to think they are siamese twin sisters or something, when in reality they're more like 10th cousins.
Mike there should not be any confusion behind a few of the smaller Escapes having a Trillium connection for a short time - this was covered in this post by Escape back in 08. Trillium RV Ltd. (TRV), of Carson City, NV did for a time have an alliance with Escape.

That alliance ended a year later in July 09 per this post from Escape Ind.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #40

Oklahoma
Oh, a fiberglass underbelly! That's great.

Hey, I hope we aren't wearing you out with our curiosity and questions. We are all pretty interested in knowing the 'nuts and bolts' details of how each egg brand is put together.

Sorry if I opened a can of worms about the name thing. Just curiosity, that's all!