"researching" from FL w/3 cats - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-16-2016, 10:39 AM   #1

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
"researching" from FL w/3 cats

Leaning towards eggs instead of vans since we now have 3 cats. Want to check out actual Snoozies- fortunately the factory isn't real far from I95 so we can visit as well as read. Important to see and feel as well as read since on reading I had decided an Rpod fit the bill but didn't like them in person at all.
I have read some campers fit their catspace to include the underbed storage area. When travelling all day we used to lay down the rear back seat and put the litter box in the trunk but the cats absolutely refuse to go back there. Maybe if I put some lighting in the storage area/basement?

Our cats all travel well but hide when we start to get ready to pack them into carriers. We travel between the city and the retirement home on the lake each week about 2 hours. They are released from the carriers as soon as we are in motion and 2 of them prefer to ride on our laps.. They do understand English, as when we are just going to be gone for an overnight and want to leave them behind they don't hide, even tho we still pack the car same as when we transport them.

I've been an ultralight backpacker and canoe camper (had to fit ALL my gear into a 5 gallon bucket including airmattress and sleeping bad- and 5 books and had room to spare. And in 2007 rented a van, bought a tent bigger than my first apartment, took a months LOA from my job and took my grandkids (13 and 8) north with the spring for the month of June. It was WONDERFUL but I mainly did mainly what THEY wanted- now I want to do what I want. I've been retired since 2014 with severe chronic pain issues so I guess my original retirement plan of hiking the AT and North Country trails will need revision. Hence the need for a lightweight, low maintenance trailer. After sleeping in a 1 man backpacking tent I expect a 16 to 18 foot trailer to be downright spacious.
Have any cat owners used Robot Check ABO cat house, or even just a regular screen house? Was thinking about a clamshell for easy setup, despite that I love the great outdoors, the winged denizens and Manitoba / Florida Air force just LUV me (skeeters and no seeums.) so we definitely need a screenhouse for full outdoors enjoyment.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:41 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Lots of options in the 16-18' size range. You are absolutely right that there is no substitute for getting a firsthand look at different models. One great way to do that is to schedule a visit to a fiberglass egg rally. Most bring together a nice assortment of makes, models, and sizes, even those that seem to feature a particular brand. Here's a link to the 2016 Rally Map. Event coordinators can advise you about the best way to arrange a visit.

The Clam shelter is a popular screen house for buggy climates. Very easy set-up.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:57 AM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We travel with 3 cats also. We bought a dog screen to go between us and them, as I do not like them on my lap while traveling. They are also released in the Expedition. They have learned to use the litter pan in the van, although not if they can help it.
In the camper, they mostly sleep while we are gone and then interact with us when we return. It will be interesting to see how they adjust to the longer camper we are getting in April. Our current fiberglass camper is a Uhaul VT.

A couple enjoy the trips. One dives under the covers most of the time.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:23 AM   #4

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Hi Mitzi, I'm a new member from FL as well. We're shopping for a 17' Casita. We are recently WOC (Without Cat) for the first time in our 36 years together. Our son went away to college last year, so we're now empty nesters with an urge to roam. Good luck in your search.

FYI, there is a 2015 16' Casita in Ft Myers/Naples Craigslist, it has never been used and I suspect he will come down from the current price of 17.5k. I talked to him but haven't looked at it.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBreez View Post
I suspect he will come down from the current price of 17.5k. .
:lout as camping season is fast approaching & the market heats up for fibreglass trailers, I sure would not count on that!! Might surprise you as to what you could have paid for a trailer in March vs what you will pay for it in May or June
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:10 PM   #6

Florida
Just bought a 13 inch LCD TV w/DVD for hurricane/rv preps. Asking on Chat for peoples experiences with screen houses. Over 50 views but no replies yet.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:53 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Mitzi..mitzi..mitzi

Here ya go...and its on sale

http://www.landmsupply.com/search-results/clam-quick-set-escape-1660-six-pack-screen-tent-green

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:35 PM   #8

Florida
I liked it...till I saw the 34 lb weight. That's what my Tent Mahal weighs and I can't lift it anymore. Was kinda hoping for something like that, I admit, but lighter.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:35 PM   #9

Florida
So we met Tom at his house to look at his Parkliner (top of the line model) and discuss eggs in general, and he actually told me to be sure to look at the Snoozy and look at Scamps and Casitas also, to make a list of features liked and disliked, and compare against each other. Now that's a man secure in the virtues of what he is selling. It definitely looks do-able to me. Now Tomorrow afternoon is my appointment at the Snoozy factory in St Matthews SC.