Riverside whitewater retro Jr 509 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-01-2020, 11:28 AM   #1

Name: Gail
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Newfoundland
Riverside whitewater retro Jr 509

I bought a year ago Easter (so in 2019) A 2015 Riverside whitewater retro Jr. 509 13 foot camper- sight unseen from 4 Cdn provinces away . Not the brightest idea I know. Previous owner must have considered himself Mr. Fix it ( he wasnít!) Back kitchen (heavy ) hatch has NO gas powered shocks to hold hatch open . Owner said huge wind tore hatch open and he removed shocks. I cannot find size( length) or strength ( in lbs) size to replace. No brackets or anything . Tried 27 lb shocks last night but too short and small RV place next to me canít help without knowing length and strength . Can anyone assist me ??? Please??? Searched numerous sites and googled shock videos to try to determine weight/ length to no avail.
Gail

gdavis120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:45 AM   #2

Name: Gail
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Newfoundland
Not many RV places in Newfoundland Canada where I live in the east coast . I’ll try searching manual - tried contacting ( phone/ email) US based RV places that I saw carried Riverside retro’s - but zero response . Thanks for response

gdavis120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:57 AM   #3

Name: Phil
Trailer: Escape
Minnesota
Amazon?
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:17 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I assume this is a teardrop. This forum is about molded "egg" trailers, which do not have the rear clamshell kitchen. We have several members who also own (or previously owned) teardrops, so you might get your answer. If not, there is another forum that's right up your alley: Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers

Hope you're able to get an answer soon!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:01 AM   #5

Name: Amber
Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Not sure about your specific needs but I needed something similar for my storage bed and was able to order on Amazon. Good luck!
Blue Bertha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:36 AM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavis120 View Post
I bought a year ago Easter (so in 2019) A 2015 Riverside whitewater retro Jr. 509 13 foot camper- sight unseen from 4 Cdn provinces away . Not the brightest idea I know. Previous owner must have considered himself Mr. Fix it ( he wasnít!) Back kitchen (heavy ) hatch has NO gas powered shocks to hold hatch open . Owner said huge wind tore hatch open and he removed shocks. I cannot find size( length) or strength ( in lbs) size to replace. No brackets or anything . Tried 27 lb shocks last night but too short and small RV place next to me canít help without knowing length and strength . Can anyone assist me ??? Please??? Searched numerous sites and googled shock videos to try to determine weight/ length to no avail.
Gail
Gail,

I think you are looking for a "strut".

It sounds like you've already established a length that is not long enough.

Try measuring the distance between the two sets of bracket mounting holes with the hatch open. This might require a helper and/or a board to hold the hatch completely open while you measure.

Similarly, try and measure the distance with the hatch (nearly) closed.

That will be a good start. After that, you'll need to find a sympathetic dealer who will help estimate the lift strength required; you already have an idea of what is too little strength, so that's a start.

Another option is to try some different RV forums. Your trailer is unlike the ones that we focus on here, so there's probably no one here who has one like yours.

If you try TNTT.com and RV.net or other RV forums, you might find someone who owns a similar trailer that will look at their struts and post a picture or copy the text from the strut for you.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:43 AM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: currently shopping
California
Riverside Retro

If you haven't yet, try googling "Riverside Retro Campers". Quite a bit comes up.

DaveMinBako is offline   Reply With Quote