RV in Canada - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2017, 07:12 AM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
RV in Canada

Lots of folks in my area have permanently set up travel trailers as summer cabins, and snow is an issue here, too. One common solution is to build a snow roof over the trailer. Some parks allow it; others don't.

Arizona separates ownership (title) from registration (for highway use). When I lived in a TT full time I got the title in my name and filled out some papers assuring the motor vehicle department I would never pull the trailer on a public highway instead of registration. It's been over 30 years ago, so my memory is a little foggy, but I think I had to arrange an on-site VIN check by a law enforcement officer in lieu of bringing the trailer to the motor vehicle office.

Different jurisdictions, different rules, but since it's a common practice you can bet there's a way. You are on the right track talking to motor vehicle departments on both ends.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:17 AM   #22

Name: Doug
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Pennsylvania
gordon2

Thanks for your direction - We are new to RVing, so any help is greatly appreciated

The trailer is of normal construction, about 35' long and about 3 - 4 years old

We need to make a visit to the site to inspect the camper which we are being told is in great shape - lol - Maybe

The camp Owner is on site year round - His home is on the grounds - He winterizes all the trailers that stay there over the winter - Not sure that is the route I will take - I will most likely do all that myself, including covering the roof for added protection - The unit is located about 40 miles east of Kingston, Ontario

I really appreciate your candor!
DeClerck2753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:21 AM   #23

Name: Doug
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Pennsylvania
Jon in AZ

I was also thinking about doing some thing about the roof - If I am going to be leaving it set up and not moving it, then I think a sloped roof may do the trick - I think the camp ground Owner would permit it

Thanks for your interest in helping!
DeClerck2753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:50 AM   #24

Name: abcde
Trailer: noneofyourbusiness
British Columbia
title transfer is a glitch

In Ontario, a trailer has its own proof of ownership document maintained by MTO (Ministry of Transportation Ontario). I lived in Ontario for close to 30 years and unless the process has changed, until you submit the signed ownership document from the seller to MTO then ownership (title in US terms) will not be transferred. And you need o submit this document to your own registration (your state's DMV) authority once processed by MTO to get the title in your name.

This could be an issue if your plans change and you want to move the trailer or sell it in the future. And if you abandon it on site you could be on the receiving end of legal charges from the campground owner which could bite you if you ever re-enter Canada. Reason - if you don't have an MTO or US DMV ownership document in your own name you can't transfer ownership to someone else, even as a gift.

I'd talk to your DMV. I've personally imported a vehicle into Canada from the US and it wasn't too complicated to find out how to do it and license and insure it temporarily for the drive back (which has to be done from your "home" licensing and registration authority).