RV in Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2017, 03:45 PM   #1

Name: Doug
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Pennsylvania
RV in Canada

I am purchasing a travel trailer from a Canadian citizen - It is currently parked at a campground in Ontario, Canada

I want to leave it there - I live in Pennsylvania and will be using it from June to October, but leaving it at the campground

What must I do to keep it in Canada, plus any other regulations I must satisfy?
DeClerck2753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:01 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Doug! Interesting question... Seems like one for your state motor vehicle department and US Customs.

I'm guessing you may have to bring it to PA at least once to complete the importation process and get ownership documents in your name. I'm not sure what happens later when you take it back into CAN and return without it. How old is the trailer? Is it road-worthy? Do you have a vehicle to tow it?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #3

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
If you are not moving it put of the campground and do not have the intention of travelling with it then it does not require registration.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:07 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by giro53 View Post
If you are not moving it put of the campground and do not have the intention of travelling with it then it does not require registration.
Until the owner of the campground changes or changes his mind or ups the rent or..

I'd at least import it to the US after purchase.
You might have an issue with insuring it. I know of one fellow who wanted to leave his trailer in Canada and pick it up in the spring. His insurer said they would not cover it in storage. He could drive all over Canada and they would insure it, just not in storage.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:25 PM   #5

Name: Linda
Trailer: Scamp 1992 13'
Washington
I have never brought a trailer over the border but on Fiberglass RV 4 sale website, there was an article discussing what is required to bring it into the US. You should check with customs and I for sure would NOT leave it in Canada.
Lady Scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:28 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
Jon in AZ

I think the age of the trailer is about 3 - 4 years

I understand it is quite road worthy

No I do not have a vehicle which would tow this trailer

Thanks for your comments!
Old 08-16-2017, 05:31 PM   #7

Pennsylvania
giro53

Thanks your comment concerning leaving it in Canada nd not moving it
Old 08-16-2017, 05:32 PM   #8

Pennsylvania
Glenn

Thanks for your comments
Old 08-16-2017, 05:33 PM   #9

Pennsylvania
Lady Scamp

Thanks for your comments
Old 08-16-2017, 08:25 PM   #10

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
I would talk to your Department of motor vehicles about what they require. At least in Michigan there is a deadline after the purchase to get it registered. Need to have it imported to register and get plates. Need to bring it to the border to import it.

I for one would never buy a trailer and not get it legal titled or registered in my name. It could be difficult to sell later on. Not sure about Pennsylvania, but MI is quite insistent about getting paid their sales tax and registeration fees.

We have taken a trailer to Ontario and left it there for a month while getting it worked on. Other time was a week. Customs didn't have a problem with us bringing a retro Canadian trailer to Canada and leaving it there to get worked on. Other than thinking we were quite strange.
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:39 PM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I have heard, and actually had an ongoing discussion with a member here, that PA can be a real hassle on registering a trailer from another state. I know of at least one PA resident that does vintage trailer restorations and then registers them in Maine. Now if the trailer in Canada is fairly cheap, and will be left there for many years and not moved, the best end result may be to just walk away and abandon it, or sell it in place.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:56 PM   #12

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I've known a few people that do that both ways,Canada & USA without any problems other than insurance as you need the trailer registered in your name for insurance. I don't think that can be done without physically taking it across the boarder. Once registered you can leave it anywhere you like.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #13

Trailer: Shopping
Ontario
Buying and Leaving a Trailer in Canada

Many people I know from Michigan buy trailers in Canada and leave them there. Just buy your insurance there if you are not going to be moving it. That is how folks with park models handle it. Talk to a Canadian Insurance agent.
whaleyddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:43 PM   #14

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I'm pretty sure Michigan, and the other 49 states would all love for you to write them checks. Not so fast. What authority do they have over a possession not only outside their state, but outside the country? Probably none, unless you move it. If it were in fact real property, what say would they have? I am not a lawyer. Are they going to extradite your trailer from Canada?

I liked GiRo's response, and I think I'd focus on keeping Ontario happy, registration wise.

Also, consider getting a written agreement with the trailer park owner that would give you a reasonable specified time to relocate the trailer if the park is sold. It might be worth paying a Canadian lawyer to draw it up. What about giant rent increases?

I trust you have satisfied yourself that the trailer will be secure, and that the trailer park owner is not renting it out from November to May.

Good luck.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:43 AM   #15

Pennsylvania
Lisa

Thanks for your take on things - I was thinking along the same lines
Old 08-18-2017, 05:46 AM   #16

Pennsylvania
Mary and Bob

You have a slightly different take on things - Which is good for discussion - Several others I have spoken with agree with what you are saying - Just want to make sure I don't make my life harder when attempting to make it easier

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2017, 05:50 AM   #17

Pennsylvania
Daniel

You are saying what I have heard from others - Sounds like this could be a very tricky undertaking

I am going to be doing a lot of checking with PA and Canada in an attempt to weed things out

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2017, 05:52 AM   #18

Pennsylvania
whaleyddd

I am currently attempting to get hooked up with a Canadian Insurance Agent to sift this out

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2017, 05:59 AM   #19

Pennsylvania
Tom 72

I agree with most, if not all, of your thoughts, especially the one about the trailer park Owner selling the park, getting a signed agreement about specific time to move the unit if the park is sold and rent increases

I've spoken with several of the campers and they say the Owner is great and has Owned the park for about 20 years - He has 4 kids that he says will carry on the family business - I feel pretty secure with things concerning the park & the Owner, but better safe than sorry

Thanks for your insight!
Old 08-18-2017, 06:51 AM   #20

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
This might not be on topic, but IMHO, it is not practical to own a TRAVEL trailer so far away. A vacation home requires a lot of maintenance, or a local maintenance company to handle things, but a TRAVEL trailer requires even more upkeep. Unless you have a trusted person or company that is local to the camper and who can keep an eye on it and fix things as needed, the camper will fall into disrepair fairly quickly. It only takes one undetected leak to cause a lot of damage. You did not mention the make but many molded fiberglass campers cannot tolerate excessive snow load on the roof.. who will deal with that? Perhaps it is possible, especially if you can store it in a garage, but again, it is my opinion that this idea is fraught with potential pitfalls.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote