Sad and angry 61-year-old here . . . - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2020, 04:00 PM   #21

Name: Denton
Trailer: shopping
New York
One thing to keep in mind that hasn't been addressed here... be very careful about collecting SS at 62 AND trying to work. You are discouraged from working before you reach full retirement age (66 or so) if you are collecting. That is discouraged by taxing the hell out of your income. You are allowed to earn up to $18,200, after that they want half.

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirem...leworking.html

That should make you even more angry.
denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 04:19 PM   #22

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Have you thought outside the box? Like getting a cdl and driving some kind of truck? Don't know what shape you're in but in my state you can pay and go to a class for a day, take an open book test, pass and get a traffic flagging certificate.

Look for the work nobody wants to do, or as I did, go to places where nobody wants to go. It can be an adventure at times. There are some great, original people to meet in areas that others think of as excrement excavations.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:16 PM   #23

Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Registry
I'm really sorry, Medusa, that you are facing these unhappy circumstances. I'm sure it's tough. Feeling sad and mad is totally appropriate. During the 2008 recession, many seniors found themselves in financial binds and went for the full time RV life. Some of them have found it works for them to work camp but many of those jobs can be too much for seniors -- too many hours, too physical, bad bosses, etc. Think carefully before you decide what's right for you, and get lots of advice (you did that above). Best of luck with whatever your path turns out to be.
Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:52 PM   #24

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa in Akron View Post
Hi Bill. I have 25.5 years of service in two different state-run pension plans, one for teachers (I was a full-time adjunct for 11 years) and one for county government (I worked at the welfare department--ironic, eh?), but due to the pandemic, my position was dissolved 4.5. years shy of full retirement. I also have more than 40 quarters in Social Security, but the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) will cut that in half, so it would be in my best interest to wait until 67 or 70 or 105--whatever age the politicians (with their cushy retirement/medical plans) decide on. Currently, I am actively seeking work, but again, because of WEP, it would be best if I could find a job that would allow me to continue contributing to one of the two state-run pensions I've been contributing to all these years (after all, anything I would contribute to Social Security going forward will be cut in half unless I work another 16 years or so--not likely). But if it's hard for older adults to find gainful employment in normal times, it'll be even harder with the many millions unemployed since covid and with businesses cutting staff or closing. For me, buying a used 13' Scamp feels like being in charge of my own destiny--I didn't choose to be unemployed or to be penalized for not making it across the finish line to full retirement, but I can choose to be poor on my own terms. I've struggled financially most of my life and have lived in some seedy places, and I'm not willing to do that again if I can avoid it. Yes, living in a 13' trailer and trying to find places to boondock won't be easy; in fact, I imagine it'll be scary and lonely and potentially dangerous at times, but so is living in some low-rent apartment in a not-so-great neighborhood. I know you're right about the expense involved with RVing, but I'm hoping that I can at least find some part-time work to supplement my pension . . . Ugh, life just isn't easy right now for many of us, eh?
Check with schools to see if they need any office help or even janitor help if those jobs get the pension you need. Check with city gov to see if they have any jobs. Sometimes they need part time or temporary help that pays into the programs. I am in the same position with the WEP stuff. My SS pays for my medicare and $40 a month. I should be getting $900 a month but thanks to the good ole gov I'm shafted. Thankfully my husband gets a decent retirement so I can live good enough. I took a 50% reduction in my retirement to get out of my job so I could retire and am glad I did.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 01:55 AM   #25

Name: Craig
Trailer: shopping
Idaho
Thumbs up Sometimes things hit the fan

I am 62 and Cancer retired me at 58. The cancer is in remission but when it hit I was on a ventilator for a week that resulted in a lack of oxygen to my brain that resulted in a loss of manual dexterity and speech/memory issues. Returning to work is not an option but moving from Northern California to Eastern Idaho allowed my reduced (from Maximum full-retirement Social Security payment to go a lot farther. I am also fortunate to have had a good relationship with my son who is in the planning stages of building a house and asked if I had any requests for my room and the only thing I need is reliable WiFi for Pandora, Spotify, YouTube Music, and podcasts. Between those a
and a Longhaired Chewienie and two grandsons, Cancer is probably the best thing to happen to me. There is always a silver lineing to bad situations. Oh, did I forget to mention my wife (the breadwinner) Was diagnosed with Liver Cancer this past April and the Huntsman Cancer Institue Consider her to be a perfect example if successful outcomes but she was forced to retire at 54. It is what it is you just got to make decisions based on the hand dealt to you. Good Luck
craigry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:25 AM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
A Posssibility

Michele,

One possibility is to work in one of the many state and county parks.

Generally they rarely pay anything but do provide a free full service campsite. The work is usually not difficult and the hours relatively short and no commute or fancy work clothes required plus generally the people you work with are nice.

Once experienced there are many places you can go all over the nation and do the same.

It's hard to fix the past, the would have, could have and should have parts of life. Even with all this we can find a niche that provides a peaceful safe environment.

Our youngest son retired at 50 and last year spent the summer working in a WA county park. They loved their job and could have stayed for the year.

It's a very doable way to have your housing expenses covered and be in a good living environment.

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:01 PM   #27

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I agree with the poster who recommended a used sticky camper. I think if you find one that someone cared for to avoid leaks, it will have more room and cost less.

I don't know what your area of expertise is, but keep your eye pealed (Indeed.com, etc.) for adjunct jobs that might give you a class or two to teach. You might find something that you can do in your camper and earn a few extra dollars. My husband worked for Michigan State University for 3 years after he retired as a superintendent. It gave him a few extra pennies, kept him active professionally, and gave both of us something to do together (or at least talk about together) until I retired in May. Happily, I was able to hold out until I had full SS, and Kevin has a good pension. That being said, there might not be any adjunct jobs right now because of such tough times.

I did find a video that talked about what some folks are doing in your situation:

Keep us posted what you decide and how you are doing. Our prayers are with you.

CindyL
Old 10-07-2020, 06:48 AM   #28

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Some retirement plans allow paying into them the amount required to vest.
My sister in law did this in the Alabama teacher's retirement fund so that she could retire due to back injuries and pain problems.

It might be a pretty big chunk of money, but worthwhile
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 06:58 PM   #29

Trailer: Bonair Oxygen 2002
I was hoping you've done ok. The vaccines have helped a lot.
norman and jean mulloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:35 PM   #30

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Well, check the needed qualifications for substitute teaching in public schools where you live. All states are somewhat different, but since you have experience teaching you'd be a shoe in!

I think that mainly, you should do what you feel is right for you. You know YOU better than anyone else does, so you have a pretty good idea what your strengths and weakness are, and you know what does and doesn't bother you, so go with it!

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:13 PM   #31

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
National Park Seasonal work is possible
By the way seize the day Steve Dunham who provided advice to you and so many other passed away last year unexpectedly
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 05:23 AM   #32

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
By the way seize the day Steve Dunham who provided advice to you and so many other passed away last year unexpectedly
Sorry to hear this! I enjoyed his posts. RIP.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 08:39 AM   #33

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
There is another way that I think far too many people overlook or simply think they can't do it, especially the older close to retirement folks who unexpectedly find themselves out of work and difficulty getting hired. Hire yourself. Start a small business. Today starting a business can be easier than ever in some respects. It can be as simple as an etsy store, an Amazon or eBay store, booths at festivals around the country, a flea market booth, a stand alone website, etc etc. With a decent laptop you can do a lot. Lots of free resources out there too. With age comes experience, resourcefulness, financial wisdom and more. Consider those talents and years of experience and how you could put them to good use working for yourself. I am not saying it will be easy but your income potential is unlimited, and your far more likely to make a better income than you had with any previous employer if you stick with it and don't give up. And you get to control your benefits like insurance, hours, holidays and vacations. And it doesn't always require a lot of money to get started although it helps. I know people who have started small business with very small amounts of cash and grew it into something great. Many of these business you could do while traveling the country in your Scamp and keeping expenses very low.
Old 03-22-2022, 08:43 AM   #34

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
IF y'all are responding to the OP, Michelle hasn't be online on FiberglassRV for more than a year: Last Activity: 01-11-2021
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote