Scamp 13ft axle question (Yes, ANOTHER ONE) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2019, 11:12 AM   #1

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13ft
Oregon
Scamp 13ft axle question (Yes, ANOTHER ONE)

Hi Everyone!

My name is Patrick. I just joined FGRV and over the summer we became the second owners of a 13 ft 1977 Scamp. I'm in Portland, OR and had to haul it back from Salem using the back roads because the axle is nearly bottomed out. Original owners used it on some forestry land to hang out during coffee breaks. It sat in the mud for decades and developed a nice sappy mildew, rodent-chewed rotted plywood floor, torn up cushions, feces everywhere kind of look... and smell. But frame was in great shape and it was still towable after crossing my fingers a whole lot of times. I just started cleaning the ensolite (elephant skin?) with a spin brush and soap/water/bleach combo and it has become nice and bright so far. It has all of the original stuff- heater, stove, hand pump sink and 3 way "Trav'lr by Elixir" refrigerator. Most of it is rusty. The fridge looks OK but not sure if it works or even how to start it up. Anyway, I have appreciated seeing the wealth of info this site and it's members have put out there- especially with all of the questions about axle swaps. So, here's another one: any place in Portland, OR to have this done? I saw that a member went through Potter Webster Co for their axle (using another member's similar measurements?) and had some welders (who are familiar with Scamps) nearby to attach it. I live nearby one of the Potter Webster Co in Portland and saw there are a few different fabricators in that area- I guess I can call them all up. Also, I thought Potter Webster only dealt with commercial trucks so I didn't really consider them when doing a local search. I plan on keeping it simple: no lift, keeping the leading arm configuration and upgrading to brakes and a 5 lug configuration with steel rims and hub cap combo. If I go through Scamp, I heard they won't sign off on leading arm since they don't do that configuration anymore. They have the fastest service but with their trailing arm set-up it is my understanding that it comes as a 22 degree down angle which just might be too much lift for me. I DO LIKE the low-ish look. I understand the axle has to be reversed as well as the brakes put into the correct orientation. It's not considered the ideal setup vs trailing arm... but it has worked for decades. Any thoughts from some PDX locals? THANKS! Sorry for the long post.
Patrick PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
We had a welder remove our axle, weld in a spacer to raise it then weld in brackets so the new axle could be bolted on. With a bolt on axle you can replace them yourself in a very short period of time.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:21 PM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I believe Potter Webster owns a shop right across the street from their store. Also Six Robblees in S.E. Portland is a major Dexter dealer. I would ask both of these businesses for installer recommendations.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:38 PM   #4

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13ft
Oregon
Thank You! This is very helpful.
Patrick PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:47 PM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
The bolt on option that Darwin mentioned is a very good idea..
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:28 PM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
You could purchase a FlexiRide axle in a trailing arm configuration and “clock” the arms to your desired height..... that’s what I did to our 13’ Scamp.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:48 PM   #7

Name: Elvin
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
I second the Flexiride with brakes option in trailing arm formation. Much better ride and the Flexiride is also adjustable to different heights.
omache27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:15 PM   #8

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Scamp 13’
Oregon
Hi Patrick! I’m also a newbie owner if an older (‘94) Scamp in PDX contemplating a new axle, among other things, and interested in finding reputable shops for trailer work. I too have learned a lot from the posts on this site and look forward to the answers to your questions.

Nancy
Out4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, scamp