Scamp 19’ Reese hitch dimensions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2020, 10:45 AM   #1

Name: Thom
Trailer: Scamp 97 13’, 84 19’
Massachusetts
Scamp 19’ Reese hitch dimensions

Hi everyone! First post here... we’re upgrading from a 13’ Scamp to a 19’. Does anybody have the dimensions for how far apart to space the Reese rails for the newer Scamp brand 19’ hitch? Either center to center, or actual space between the rails? I know Reese makes the components, I have the Reese rails already, the hitch is getting delivered on Friday ( by 9 pm) and I’m leaving early Saturday morning to pick up a 19’. I’d rather not wait till the last minute, potentially 9pm, to be drilling holes into my truck the day before we go to pick up our new trailer! I know about the 60” from corner of bumper to center of ball, and I know it also seems best practice to wait until I have the hitch before I mount the rails, so I can dry fit it all for perfect spacing, but alas, it’s all coming together very last minute. Thanks in advance! -Thom
Thombullock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:42 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thombullock View Post
Hi everyone! First post here... we’re upgrading from a 13’ Scamp to a 19’. Does anybody have the dimensions for how far apart to space the Reese rails for the newer Scamp brand 19’ hitch? Either center to center, or actual space between the rails? I know Reese makes the components, I have the Reese rails already, the hitch is getting delivered on Friday ( by 9 pm) and I’m leaving early Saturday morning to pick up a 19’. I’d rather not wait till the last minute, potentially 9pm, to be drilling holes into my truck the day before we go to pick up our new trailer! I know about the 60” from corner of bumper to center of ball, and I know it also seems best practice to wait until I have the hitch before I mount the rails, so I can dry fit it all for perfect spacing, but alas, it’s all coming together very last minute. Thanks in advance! -Thom
Eveland’s will likely install the rails for you while you have an “orientation.” Be advised, however, they drill holes in the bed, and mount the rails using a piece of scrap steel with a hole as a makeshift washer on the underside of the bed. There is no attachment to the frame. At least, that is the abortion of a hitch installation they did for me. And the rail spacing is standard, but it is better if the A-frame portion of the hitch is “present” for the installation.
C&G in FL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:56 AM   #3

Massachusetts
[QUOTE=CPW;799938]Eveland’s will likely install the rails for you while you have an “orientation.” Be advised, however, they drill holes in the bed, and mount the rails using a piece of scrap steel with a hole as a makeshift washer on the underside of the bed. There is no attachment to the frame. At least, that is the abortion of a hitch installation they did for me. And the rail spacing is standard, but it is better if the A-frame portion of the hitch is “present” for the installation.[/QUOTE

I wish I was getting it from the factory! Unfortunately the 19’ we’re going to pick up is, ummmm, ‘vintage’? It’s a 1984 and we’re buying it from a private party, who is keeping their modified 5th wheel hitch, so I can’t get dimensions from them. Thanks!
Old 12-03-2020, 01:20 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Thom,

What are you using for a hitch? If it is the Reese flattop with a ball, and you have the Reese A-frame, lay the rails out in the bed of the truck and put the A-frame into the rails. Make sure you have the proper clearance from the rear corners to the ball and then drill the holes, I would suggest the rear rail first. Secure it and then adjust the front rail as best as you can to make sure that the A-frame isn’t binding when you try to lift it up. If there is a small amount of “slop” that is OK as it will allow you to make minor adjustments in the rail(s) position(s).

Do you know why the seller is keeping the hitch????
C&G in FL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:12 PM   #5

Massachusetts
Thanks. It’s all just coming together at that last minute, of corse! I got a call back and a measurement from the people at Scamp, they went out and measured one of their maintenance trucks, which have the newer style Reese flat top hitch. They said from center to center of the Reese rails, was 21.5”. I’m gonna go ahead and set one rail like you suggested, and wait until the actual hitch is delivered to set the second rail, just in case... hopefully it’s delivered before 9pm!
The gentleman I’m buying it from IS going to give me the home made cross bar w the ball, but is keeping the uprights because they mount his other, proper, 5th wheel hitch plate. I decided to just go the ‘Official Scamp’ 19’ hitch because it will be easier for me to go pick this thing up, turn around and go home. It’ll be about 13 hours round trip and I didn’t wanna deal with a half-a-homemade-hitch is someone else’s driveway.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:10 PM   #6

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thombullock View Post
...They said from center to center of the Reese rails, was 21.5”. I’m gonna go ahead and set one rail like you suggested, and wait until the actual hitch is delivered to set the second rail, just in case... hopefully it’s delivered before 9pm!
I just stepped in the garage and measured the Reese A-frame bracket, and the tabs that get locked into the rails are on a 22 inch center to center.

The tabs are 1/2 inch thick, and I am wondering if the guy who went out to measure it got the dimension *between* the tabs instead!
You are certainly safe if you mount one where it needs to be and wait for the other.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:34 PM   #7

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I just stepped in the garage and measured the Reese A-frame bracket, and the tabs that get locked into the rails are on a 22 inch center to center.

The tabs are 1/2 inch thick, and I am wondering if the guy who went out to measure it got the dimension *between* the tabs instead!
You are certainly safe if you mount one where it needs to be and wait for the other.
Thanks Paul! Yeah I’m gonna wait until I get the hitch to mount the second rail, but I have a good idea of there the center of the ball will be. Thanks for double checking for me!
Old 12-03-2020, 07:48 PM   #8

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Scamp 19
Washington
scamp 19 hitch

fwiw. I got curious as to my hitch dimensions, so I went out to measure. I also came up with 22" center to center, same measurements that Paul had.

Wayne
Wayne53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:55 AM   #9

Massachusetts
Thumbs up

Thanks everyone! 22” on center is the magic number! I mounted one rail, and set the 2nd at 22” on center and installed the bolts thru the bed, but waited on fastening it to the frame... the hitch fit perfectly! Back under the truck I go. Thanks again!

Tags
scamp