Scamp 5th wheel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2016, 09:22 PM   #1

Name: Jimmie
Trailer: Scamp 19
Texas
Scamp 5th wheel

Hello all.

I'm new to RV's so please forgive what may seem like dumb questions

I am considering buying a Scamp 19' 5th wheel. My tow vehicle is a Tundra Crew Max short bed. Can this work especially in sharp turns?

All opinions/experience will be appreciated.

Jimmie

Cedrar Park, Texas
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:32 AM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Welcome to the Towing World!
You will have to mount the 2" ball hitch according to the Scamp specifications, I think it is 59.5 inches (minimum) from the bumper corner, so there is enough clearance to turn. The Scamp might require the 3" raise option, so it tows reasonably level. Both can be accomplished with not too much trouble.

Re: turning radius, I have a Tacoma (4-door, short bed). I can turn the tightest turn and the cab to Scamp loft has probably 8 - 10 inches clearance. Backing up is different, jacknifing can close that gap and cause damage, so you need to pay attention. Hope this helps.

By the way, don't list phone numbers in your posts. Use the PM (Private Messaging) system.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:31 AM   #3

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I can turn my rig at full lock either direction. Sharp turns are no problem. If you mount the hitch properly, you can turn with the trailer as sharp as allowed by your truck.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:48 AM   #4

Name: Jimmie
Trailer: Scamp 19
Texas
Thank you. Good idea on the phone number. I get so many telemarketing calls I just assume everyone has it anyway so I forget sometimes.

I need to find a Scamp 19' close to me and touch and feel before getting to serious about buying. If u know of anyone in central Texas area please let me know. I'm thinking buying used .

Again appreciate your help.

Jimmie
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:59 AM   #5

Name: Robert
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Scamp 19 Tow Vehicle

I think the bed rail height of your truck is the most important measurement. I used to tow my Scamp 19 with a 2000 Tundra 4x4. It was a little taller than Scamp recommended. At the time my Scamp did not have any lift added to it. I had to set the hitch so that the Scamp was high in the front when hitched up. I had to be careful going up and down sudden changes in road height.
When I replaced the 2000 Tundra my next truck was another 2" taller. I went ahead and had the Scamp body lifted at that point so I could tow the Scamp level. When I was shopping for the replacement truck I had ruled out the newer style Tundras because of how tall the bed rails were. At some point I believe Scamp manufactured the 19 with some body lift standard. Just be sure to check out your potential Scamp 19 for lift. BH
bertherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:23 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I agree. On the Scamp website, it looks like the 3" lift is still optional. Given the high bed rails on most new trucks, though, I expect most new builds include it. I'm pretty sure you will need it for your Tundra, and not all used units have it.

You may be able to edit your post to remove the phone number. If the 12-hour edit window has expired, there's a "Contact Us" link way down at the very bottom of the page, and a moderator can remove it for you.

Best wishes finding your trailer!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp