Scamp Barn find! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2015, 08:49 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Scamp Barn find!

Well, actually the 1978 13-foot Scamp I bought today in Oklahoma, was parked along side the barn!

It has been sadly neglected for many years, and will need lots of work to get it restored to camping shape.

I haven't yet done a complete inspecting to determine what can be salvaged and what will need replacement. Most likely the plywoood floors will need to be replaced. However, the cabinet doors look good.

It is the 13-foot Scamp model that has twin bunks in the front of the trailer. i would post the price I paid, but it is so low I'm afraid no one will believe it!

I'll post some photos soon.

Bill Nolen
Oklahoma city
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:40 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Happy day! It's like finding treasure. I hope you enjoy handyman projects.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:34 AM   #3

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Good for you Bill
Old 03-11-2015, 05:00 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Congratulations. The nice thing about fixing an old Scamp is that they are still in business and sell parts. Enjoy and remember, we like pictures. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:39 AM   #5

Oklahoma
Registry
Thanks mike, Ted, & Raz,

I told my long suffering wife (after she recovered from the shock of viewing the Scamp!) that this will be my 5-year retirement-keep-busy-plan.

Since I'm sure she was just joking...I won't repeat her nasty comments!

I'm going to need access to some photos that shows how the interal should look like for that model of a Scamp. Any suggestions where I should look?

My right knee has gone out on me, so the photos will be delayed a day or so.

Thanks,
Old 03-11-2015, 07:42 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp Barn find!

The registry is a good place to look for pictures of other Scamps. There is a link to the registry in the blue bar near the top of your screen. My Scamp is much newer, but it is not that much different than yours. There's a link to my registry under my user name to the left of this post. (NOTE- the registry is not available from the app).

Other places to look are the classified archives here and on fiberglass-rv-4sale.com. Ads often have more and better interior pictures.

Start by giving it a really good cleaning. That may go a long way in convincing your wife that your project has potential.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:56 AM   #7

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
How wonderful, sounds like you got a steal. Can't wait for pictures when you are in tip top shape
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:42 AM   #8

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft.
Missouri
Good job finding such a treasure in the making! Get some pics on the Scamp Forum! Anxious to see your find and progress at restoration.
Flyboyscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:41 AM   #9

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I have a 77 Scamp 13 so you can PM me for any pictures you need. I replaced the section of floor under front couch, did some work to true up the door opening at the same time. Already have some pictures of that in my album here on the forum.

Just for the record they did not change much over the decades in terms of that basic couch/bunk layout. Many if not most will have same construction over a lot of years.

Read the thread on using a couple of brands of common (inexpensive floor wax) to restore a high deep shine to the old ones. the pictures will give you motivation!http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ell-43004.html

Oh and congratulations!
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #10

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The registry is a good place to look for pictures of other Scamps. There is a link to the registry in the blue bar near the top of your screen. My Scamp is much newer, but it is not that much different than yours. You can access my registry by clicking on my user name to the left of this post. (NOTE- the registry is not available from the app).

Other places to look are the classified archives here and on fiberglass-rv-4sale.com. Ads often have more and better interior pictures.

Start by giving it a really good cleaning. That may go a long way in convincing your wife that your project has potential.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!
Thanks Jon, I copied the majority of your photos you posted. I believe they will be a great help in restoring my Scamp.

Bill
Old 03-11-2015, 01:23 PM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Whatever you do, don't rip the Ensolite off the walls. No matter how bad it looks now, it can almost always be salvaged and with far less work and expense than replacing it.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:45 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Name: Tony
Trailer: Dutchman
Massachusetts
Welcome to the site, it's great to have you here

Tony
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:01 PM   #13

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations to you for your terrific find and curses on the PO for so neglecting it ( on the other hand if it wasn't neglected the price would have considerably higher ). Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:28 PM   #14

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Whatever you do, don't rip the Ensolite off the walls. No matter how bad it looks now, it can almost always be salvaged and with far less work and expense than replacing it.
Egad, that was one of the first projects that I had planned to do! Yet, the Enscolite seems to be in the best condition anything in the trailer. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks to everyone welcoming me! I liked this web site before, and now I really like it!

I hobbled out this afternoon and took some photos. I'll try and post one to see if I'm able to do so. Nope!
Old 03-11-2015, 03:01 PM   #15

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
Egad, that was one of the first projects that I had planned to do! Yet, the Enscolite seems to be in the best condition anything in the trailer. Thanks for the advice...
Because Ensolite is a closed-cell foam product, mold (or whatever) is on the surface and can be removed. Post a question and folks here will guide you to the best cleaning products. Once thoroughly cleaned, loose sections can be re-glued and gaps/seams can be caulked and textured. Some people then paint over the whole thing and it looks like new!

Pictures…
Trick is to use the paper clip icon twice. First time takes you to a new tab/window called "Manage Attachments." Choose up to 4 pictures and click "Upload" (all the way at the right). It may take a while.

Return to your post. When you click the paper clip icon now, you should see a drop-down menu with your pics (if not, they're probably still loading). Click on a picture and an attachment will pop up in your post. Repeat for additional pictures.

Before you hit "Submit Reply" it's a good idea to hit "Preview Post." Now you should be able to see the pictures in your post. Finally, hit "Submit Reply."

Show us what you're dealing with and I'm sure you'll get lots of helpful tips. We love to see old eggs come to life again!
Old 03-11-2015, 04:09 PM   #16

Oklahoma
Registry
Thanks Jon for the tips on how to post photos! I'll give it a try!

Click image for larger version

Name:	A Scamp old side door 3-11-15.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	81235

Name:	A Scamo Old back side 3-11-15 S.gif
Views:	41
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	81236

Name:	A Scamp Old rear 3-11-15 S.gif
Views:	40
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	81237

Name:	A Scapm Old front 3-11-15.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	81238

Looks bad doesn't it? Just keep in mind that it was cheap! And my plan is just to restore it to where it can be used for camping...not to a new condition.

Now for the insides...really really sad! Next message!

Bill
Old 03-11-2015, 04:21 PM   #17

Oklahoma
Registry
In the insides everything is loose and on the floor.

Name:	A Scamo Old stove sink 3-11-15 S.gif
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	81239

Name:	A Scamp Old both dinette seats-loose 3-11-15 S.gif
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	81240

Name:	A Scamp old front window inside 3-11-15.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	81242

Icebox is on the floor, next to a new custom made thick matress that was made for the dinette area. It would have to be placed there permanently if used.

Other than setting the trailer on fire...any suggestions?

Bill
Old 03-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #18

Michigan
Yes all that loose stuff will rivet/screw back in fairly easily. If you remove the loose stuff and clean you will be 1/2 way to a camper you can use. Clean makes all the difference! And it is not expensive either.

Those crank up windows are great! Can open them even in the rain.

That black will all clean off, lot of people and posts have done that, two words Barkeepers Friend.

The ensolite WILL clean up from gross, discolored and sticky to white and shiny. In some ways that is the easiest to clean surface there is.

You must post pictures of your progress. Do check out that thread I posted a link to on not poliglow time will tell. There are some trailers in there looking as bedraggled and neglected as yours in the before pictures, and like new in the after.

If you have a spouse to get along with making it shiny on the outside, along with clean on the inside goes a long way toward making spouse happy.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:38 PM   #19

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I may be wrong, but it looks like your axle is sagging.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:39 PM   #20

Michigan
Oh and like others have said Scamp still has a fair number of parts for the old ones. Link to the Scamp online store. Heck you can even replace the decals.

Hardware

If you don't have the top to that stove it leaves you no reason not to consider something better (amazon has lots of them) or even storage and counter top if you don't generally cook inside.

Sorry I really get excited when I see one of the older ones rescued

Tags
scamp