Scamp, Casita, Bigfoot and Cortes oh my! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2022, 07:15 PM   #1

Name: Himes
Trailer: shopping
PA
Scamp, Casita, Bigfoot and Cortes oh my!

Hi everyone! I am wondering if anyone in the south central Pa area has a Scamp that we could tour?
I have been lurking for a few weeks, looking through forums and doing some research into some of the FG camper types. At first my husband and I were looking for a used camper in our area and boy are they hard to find. Now we are considering ordering but we have never seen the inside of a Scamp and we would really like to get a feel for the space before we decide. We have seen a Casita, a Bigfoot and just today we viewed a Cortes. I am really impressed with the Bigfoot and Cortes but I am under the impression that bigfoots are no longer being produced? is this correct? Cortes is a nice option but the company is new and while I really like the construction and setup, I am still deciding. I would prefer something with some insulation and the capability of four season use that is also under 4000 lbs.
PACortney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 07:57 PM   #2

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Bigfoot

Bigfoot is still in business. check out their website at bigfootrv.com
You can also find used molded fiberglass rvs listed for sale at this website https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com
This may give you some info about ones that are available near you.
Happy hunting.
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 11:34 PM   #3

Name: Joel
Trailer: Casita SD
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACortney View Post
and just today we viewed a Cortes.
You viewed one of the few in existence.

The company is "controversial".

Apparently, their CEO was indicted for conspiracy to commit securities fraud last year.

There is some discussion of it in this thread.
JoelInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 05:19 AM   #4

Name: Shelby
Tennessee
If you don't mind sharing, I think many here would be interested to know where you were able to see a Cortes.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:11 AM   #5

PA
Thanks for the info Lora. I don't know what I was looking at before.
Old 09-13-2022, 06:21 AM   #6

PA
I've read the threads but I can't find any information elsewhere on the indictment. Apparently they have been in the boat business for a while (years) and have just recently ( within the last 2 years) started producing campers. They have just started making and Shipping them to dealerships across the country. If you go to the website you can see where they are currently available. There isn't a dealer near us so we went to their factory in Euclid Ohio. They have a "used" model there for sale but it is one of the original design and it had ( in our opinion) some flaws. The new ones they are producing are pretty impressive though. They had the hulls in various stages of build and we were able to see how the go together and what goes in. We were even able to talk to the designers, engineers and fabricators, it was a very informative tour and they seem like great trailers. Honestly, we may be buying one in the spring but we want to be well informed before we do. We are trying to see all of the options without having to drive half way across the country
Old 09-13-2022, 06:50 AM   #7

Name: Shelby
Tennessee
If you can buy a Cortes off a dealer's lot you may be OK. Definitely wouldn't want to give them a large deposit. Still a shame about the clueless name....
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 07:04 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
If you can buy one off a dealer's lot you may be OK. Definitely wouldn't want to give them a large deposit.
Exactly, and don’t count on warranty coverage being there, either. We’ve also seen that one prototype many times (in photos anyway) but we’ve yet to see a finished retail unit. Without details, I’m still not sure if Cortes can be considered a true 4-season design.

For a proven 4-season design from a well-established company, my money would go to Bigfoot, but it won’t be under 4000#. The closest thing to a molded fiberglass 4-season trailer under 4000# would be an Escape 17B with cold weather upgrades, but its unprotected grey tank keeps it from being a true winter unit.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 08:46 AM   #9

PA
Thanks for reaching out. I've recently looked at the escape website and they look nice and seem like they would be a good fit. Now to get inside one, I am going to keep plugging along and trying to tour them.

I get what you mean about the warranty, our home windows are under warranty but the company folded so..... They do have the new Cortes models at a dealership in TX and NH they have a list of other dealers but I am unsure if they have them yet. While I was impressed I am still apprehensive, it is scary to be the first.
Old 09-13-2022, 09:09 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
Escapes are well made, two year wait for new, Bigfoot campers are heavy and also well made a year to year and a half wait and more expensive. Casita and Scamps are a bit less expensive and may be more readily available in the used market but out side of the Scamp 19, which is a unique 5th wheel, smaller trailers, but plenty out there . We owned a 21ft Escape for 4 years bought in 2017 before the market went crazy for these. Still waiting for our Bigfoot to be delivered at 11 months from the order. I've had various delivery dates be pushed back. There were a few discussions about on a forum about one of the owners of (US lighting the parent company of Cortez Campers ) being indicted by the US attorney, I have not heard of the disposition. They are just a few miles form us, but too small for our wishes and Bigfoots has been around for a long time even after they went down for a while in 2008 market crisis . If you have deeper pockets (Bigfoot is pricey) Oliver Trailers are very nice, we looked at one but went for the larger Bigfoot. If you call Escape they will arrange an owner to show you one , we were in that program and showed ours to 8 0r 10 couples while owning it. Oliver will as well. When we get our Bigfoot, you'd be welcome to take a peak. We may have it before the first of the year.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 10:58 AM   #11

Name: Misafir
Trailer: In the market
Texas
I actually went to see the trailer at the Texas dealership. I agree that it’s very impressive. My wife and I were impressed. We currently have a deposit for an intech sol but are now trying to decide whether to go for the Cortes. I know of the federal indictment and that along with the risk of going with an unproven company gives us pause. But overall the quality of the product seems top notch.
Amisafir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 11:40 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisafir View Post
I actually went to see the trailer at the Texas dealership. I agree that it’s very impressive. My wife and I were impressed. We currently have a deposit for an intech sol but are now trying to decide whether to go for the Cortes. I know of the federal indictment and that along with the risk of going with an unproven company gives us pause. But overall the quality of the product seems top notch.
There is actually 2 classes of fg trailers to consider not sure where Cortes stands the most common are the single shell trailers that are built with only a one piece shell and have an either carpet or vinyl covering on the inside ,these usually include rivets on the outside to hold cabinetry but some tab there cabinets in place so no rivets are needed ,this has been the most common construction over the past 50 years and has proven effective and is usually the least expensive option .
There are a few manufacturers that use the double hull method of construction where the shell is finished gelled coat on the outside and on the inside and no fabrics or carpet is needed,these type usually have all their cabinets and supports molded in and require no rivets or screws and can be self supporting so no cabinets are needed for structural support Double hulled Trailers by their very nature of having double the amount of fiberglass will generally be much more expensive than a single hull .. not sure where Cortes fits in these as I have not seen the interior Oliver and Happier Camper are 2 manufacturers that use double hull construction as well as a few that may or may not still be in business
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 11:48 AM   #13

Texas
Cortes is double hulled with insulation in between. The interior is also all fiberglass.
Old 09-14-2022, 12:07 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Cortes is double hulled with insulation in between. The interior is also all fiberglass.
If so Cortes will be at the higher end price wise but will they be viable in the future , many have tried sometimes multiple times and have had their troubles and it looks like Cortes has some baggage to contend with right out of the gate , Oliver And Happier Camper are relatively newer companies but seem to have planted on to solid ground although Oliver did stop production for a couple years but might have been a good business decision on their part and no customers were affected . All I can say is do your homework before you pull the trigger as buying a fg trailer really is an oranges to apples comparison
Old 09-14-2022, 12:41 PM   #15

Texas
Thank you for the helpful tips. At $49K is it quite a bit cheaper than an Oliver. But I agree that it’s a risk. That’s why I came on this forum. I saw this thread while trying to find more info on the company on google.
Old 09-14-2022, 01:56 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Thank you for the helpful tips. At $49K is it quite a bit cheaper than an Oliver. But I agree that it’s a risk. That’s why I came on this forum. I saw this thread while trying to find more info on the company on google.
HC s will be in that price range and you may be surprised at the quality but ya it is not close to home .whatever price you are quoted will not be what you’ll pay with any manufacturer so don’t let that entry price fool you .
Old 09-17-2022, 01:58 PM   #17

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: Looking for
Pennsylvania
I own a Scamp 13’ in eastern PA

Hello, I live in Bethlehem PA. I’m willing to give you a tour or answer any questions about our 2015 Scamp 13’
- Jon
Pocket_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 12:38 PM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: Shopping for Bigfoot
Maryland
Good luck with your search. We are in central Maryland and are now past 1 year since we ordered our Bigfoot 25RQ. Grant (Bigfoot owner) told me last spring that we will most likely see our trailer some time after the first of the year. If you are still in the market by then, you are welcome to come down and take a look. We tried without success to find a BF in the area to view before committing, but we ended up buying it sight unseen. You only live once!
SteveCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 05:21 PM   #19

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
A couple of thoughts: you should definitely consider an older trailer. You won’t have to wait over a year for delivery. And, if you’re careful, you can find something in great condition for 10s of thousands less than you’ll pay for a new trailer.

You can expect to replace & repair stuff in a used trailer. Maybe even one or two “surprise” problems the seller didn’t mention. But truthfully, the first year in a new trailer comes with all sorts of annoying breakdowns - which may or not fall under warranty.

I’m on my 2nd BIgfoot. The first one was a 1992 BF 19’ which I bought in the early 2000s. This trailer was in very good condition, and perfect for me. But after my husband retired we needed a larger trailer & got a 2002 BF 21 about 3 years ago.

I seriously considered an Escape trailer. These are well built trailers, and offer an array of options when ordering new. They are also relatively light, good when matching with a tow vehicle. If you do decide to get a new trailer, I definitely recommend the Escape.

But I preferred the open, airy floor plan & build quality of the Bigfoot. And I truly loved my BF19.

Our BF 21 trailer cost $20,000 less than a fully equipped Escape. However, because I dry camp, I did spend several thousand dollars upgrading the batteries & power system & installing a rooftop solar system. But even with those upgrades I saved a significant amount of money over a new Escape. And I have to say I enjoyed the process of designing & installing upgrades to my trailer.

The disadvantage of Bigfoot trailers is they are heavy and require a hefty tow vehicle. I’m sure it costs more to tow than the BF ‘19. But I really didn’t keep records.

The disadvantage of a previously owned Escape is they are selling for about the same price as newly built units. That’s because Escape Industries is a fairly young manufacturer.

Prior to purchasing my BF 19, I just assumed I’d get either a Casita or Scamp. But I winter camp in Northern California and spend spring in the Rockies. So I decided to go with a better insulated trailer. If most of you camping will take place in the late spring & summer, definitely check out a Casita or Scamp. They really hold their value.

Best of luck deciding on that trailer.
Old 09-21-2022, 07:11 PM   #20

Name: Joel
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
But truthfully, the first year in a new trailer comes with all sorts of annoying breakdowns - which may or not fall under warranty.
I must be the exception.

No breakdowns or factory defects in my 2021 Casita, of any sort.
JoelInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, casita, scamp