Scamp Kit Build? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-04-2020, 09:58 AM   #1

Name: Mandy
Trailer: 76 Scamp Kit Build
CO
Scamp Kit Build?

Hi I'm Mandy. I just bought a Scamp that was originally a kit build. It came with all the original receipts and assembly guide. It says it was purchased in 1976. I purchased it without a title. I feel like it should be fairly easy to get it a VIN and title considering it was a kit build. Has anyone done this before? Any tips?
Mandy in Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 02:57 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Home built??

In Wisconsin a Scamp is not a trailer, it is an RV.
It looks easier in Colorado. I'd start here.
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sit...les/DR2409.pdf
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:37 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Here in NY it could probably be considered "home made". With a weight slip and a stated value for sales tax, DMV would issue a serial number which would have to be stamped or fixed on the trailer in some manner. Your State may have a similar method to license it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:46 AM   #4

Name: Barclay
Oregon
We would like lengthwise twin beds in the back with a Small kitchen Area in the front Under front window. Bathroom and closets on the side. Marine type of table that rotates and table lays flat when not in use.
Bjkj Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:23 AM   #5

CO
Thanks so much! Very helpful!
Old 10-05-2020, 11:23 AM   #6

CO
Thanks for the info! Helps!
Old 10-10-2020, 10:27 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjkj Mason View Post
We would like lengthwise twin beds in the back with a Small kitchen Area in the front Under front window. Bathroom and closets on the side. Marine type of table that rotates and table lays flat when not in use.

?????????????????????????????????????
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:32 AM   #8

Name: Barclay
Oregon
I think I posted to the wrong subject. �� someone was asking what people would wish for in Scamps or other fiberglass trailer. Just a little dreaming. Wrong subject.
Bjkj Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:30 AM   #9

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp 13'
California
I used https://its-titles.com/ to reg mine. Mine was owned by the military and was never registered. You just fill out the paper work on their site, pay the 300 bucks (I think) and wait a few months. You get a vermont license plate and registration.
I just kept the vermont plate on it. The thousands of miles I have towed trailers I have never had anyone ask for the trailer registration. Plus it's WAY cheaper per year than california.
Scott Corsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:59 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
here's what it looked like back when it was offered...
Attached Thumbnails
mp0058.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 06:04 PM   #11
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Corsair View Post
I used https://its-titles.com/ to reg mine. Mine was owned by the military and was never registered. You just fill out the paper work on their site, pay the 300 bucks (I think) and wait a few months. You get a vermont license plate and registration.
I just kept the vermont plate on it. The thousands of miles I have towed trailers I have never had anyone ask for the trailer registration. Plus it's WAY cheaper per year than california.
Sounds bogus. Vermont doesn't issue a legal plate and registration without paying the taxes and fees. My guess junk yard plates, fake registration. Relying on local authorities to be unfamiliar with Vermont documents. Do you get California plates in Vermont?
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 06:13 PM   #12

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Sounds bogus. Vermont doesn't issue a legal plate and registration without paying the taxes and fees. My guess junk yard plates, fake registration. Relying on local authorities to be unfamiliar with Vermont documents. Do you get California plates in Vermont?
ive used them multiple times and they have been around
for a long time. think they are bogus? fine. don’t use them.
i got a title and a new vermont plate from vermont. they mail me yearly registration and i pay a little bit every year for a new sticker. i also know at least 5 people who have used its with no issues. it just takes a long time.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:08 AM   #13

California
Also I am trying to wrap my head around how absurd your theory is.
So this company that has been around for 10+ years. That is based in nevada, is going to vermont junk yards to get brand new license plates. Forging registration and titles and sending them to customer, and no one has caught on it all their years of business?
And just because you cannot get a CA plate in vermont has nothing to do with getting a Vermont plate in CA (I actually got mine when I lived in NV, then transferred my address to CA through a change of address card sent to the vermont DMV) You do realize that every state has different registration rules?

My father seems to suffer from this absurd skepticism sometimes and it baffles the hell out of me. I guess that why so many americans have absurd theories about modern politics.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:28 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Arizona requires all vehicles be registered in Arizona within so many months of establishing residency. My driver's license declares me to be an Arizona resident. Even if Vermont were willing to take my money and issue me a valid plate, I would be in violation of Arizona law by failing to register it in Arizona and pay Arizona fees. They occasionally sweep the employee parking lots at large companies looking for out of state plates. I can see someone getting away with it on an occasional use vehicle like a trailer, but that doesn't make it legal.

You are correct that each state has its own rules. The rules that apply are the rules in your state of domicile. Are you quite sure California doesn't have such a law?
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 10:39 AM   #15

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Arizona requires all vehicles be registered in Arizona within so many months of establishing residency. My driver's license declares me to be an Arizona resident. Even if Vermont were willing to take my money and issue me a valid plate, I would be in violation of Arizona law by failing to register it in Arizona and pay Arizona fees. I can see someone getting away with it on an occasional use vehicle like a trailer, but that doesn't make it legal.

Are you quite sure California doesn't have such a law?

I am sure they do. Nevada did as well when I lived there. I had tons of customers who would register things in Montana to avoid taxes and fees. I don't know a single one that has had an issue. I have also towed trailers across this country 20 times and been through about every state...been pulled over many times, NEVER ONCE have I had them ask about the trailer registration. I have 7 registered vehicles in CA right now, I don't really want to give them even more money every year. I also moves plates around on some of my vintage motorcycles I only ride a few times a year. Never had an issue.

People seem to worry too much about the legality of something, especially why the punishment is very minor (fix it ticket or minor fine) and the chance of getting caught is slim to none. She was asking how to register something with no title. I had the EXACT same situation with my scamp and successfully have a title, plate and registration for it. Also my dad used to tell me not the break the law when you are breaking the law...so don't be towing a trailer at 90 mph down the highway if you don't want to risk it. Also the police these days seem to have bigger fish to fry, at least where I am from. So busting a TRAVEL trailer from out of state is about on the same level as busting people who eat grapes they don't pay for in the produce section.

Tags
scamp