Scamp Makeover - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2014, 11:11 PM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
Scamp Makeover

Ok I finally have some time to tell my story how I found my 1989 Scamp. It all started on Sept 21, my wife and I were celebrating our 40th anniversary at a cafe in a little town by our home. It was still warm enough to eat outside so we were eating our dinner on the veranda and low and behold I looked across the street and there sat the little orphan in a side yard all green with mold and grass and weeds growing up around it. After we were done eating we went across the street to take a look, needless to say I was intrigued by the design. Later that evening I hopped on my iPad to check this thing out. I have to say things started turning in my head, there were two possibilities fix it up and sell or fix it up and use it providing if the thing was even for sale.
The next day I returned to the scene to try and find the owner. No one was home on either side of the lot this gem was sitting in. So I returned home and wasn't able to get back for two weeks because of a trip to Hilton Head Island. So when I got home I road down to try to track down the owner. This time I went on Saturday hoping to catch someone at home and sure enough I did and I was directed to the owner who lived through the tree line at the other end of the property. As I nocked on the door not knowing what the outcome would be, a middle age women answered the door and I asked the magic question. Is that you camper? Yes it is, is it by chance for sale? Yes it is. How much are you asking? I was ready to give $1500.00. She said $800.00 I said oh I would have to take a look. She grabbed the key and away we went. When she opened the door the musty smell almost took you breath. She told me it was her brothers who passed away and she inherited it. She said he kept it in his garage when not in use but it has been sitting here since 2008. I took a step inside and saw there was great potential here everything was intact and the cushions looked in good shape with know tears and the floor seemed solid. As I was make my observation she says make me an offer. I said I dont want to insult you. She said just make me an offer. I said $400.00 and she said if you can put this to good use its yours. Needless to say I had to wipe the grin off my face before I came out. So we made arrangements to transfer the title on Monday. I forgot to say the tires were flat as flat could be and dry rotted so on Monday I tried to locate tires down in that area which is 25 miles from my house so I could jack it up and pull them and get new ones without making a couple trips but know one had them but could get them. So I threw my compressor in the van hoping they would hold air. They did but were so rotten you could almost see through them but they got me to the notary and home and are still holding air. As I said in my original post this was to be my winter project, yea right! As soon as I got this home my son and I hooked up the power washer and started cleaning. As you can see by the pictures in my previous post what a good job the power washer did for the initial cleaning. More on that later. So what I did on the inside to start with was to remove all the cushions and pull all the fiberglass benches and remove all the doors on the cabinets and tear out the moldy carpet on the floor. After I tore the carpet out I could see that there was rotted wood about 9 inches wide below the back window where the rubber seal had leaked at the joint this really contributed to a lot of the smell. It was so rotted you could poke your finger through the wood. To repair this I cut back 12 inches to get into solid wood and was able to dig the rotted wood out of the groove where the sidewalls was fiberglassed into the floor. I bought a sheet of pressure-treated three-quarter inch plywood and cut a piece 12 inches wide by the width of the trailer which is 6 foot and had to cut all the radius for the corner. I loaded up the fiberglass flange with liquid nail and slid the piece of three-quarter plywood into the groove and screwed the plywood to the metal frame. That I cut a piece 18 inches wide and came from underneath and liquid nailed and screwed this to the new piece and then into the existing floor which tied everything together and overlap all seams and made it totally waterproof and solid as a rock. Next came the cleaning part. I started with the carpet on the ceiling and walls as you can see by some of the pictures it was grease stained in back of the stove and several other dark marks not to mention the mold and mildew. What I did here was take carpet cleaner that you use in a steam cleaner and mixed it with water in a gallon garden sprayer and sprayed the walls and ceiling and scrubbed them with a soft scrub brush and sucked all the water out with the shop vac. By the time I got to the other end the place that I started was almost dry, there was a great air moving that day. I also used this process on all of the cushions, needless to say all of the musty moldy smell is gone and both carpet and cushions are spotless. Next I cleaned all the fiberglass cabinetry and benches, what I used on this was a product called Spray Nine you can get this at Napa. Again everything turned out spotless inside and out all of the moldy musty smell is completely gone. Next I removed all the hinges and hardware from the cabinet doors and bought new ones and cleaned all the doors again with spray nine. I also removed the icebox I am not planning on using this as a cooler does the same thing and I am going to use this space for the air conditioner. I also removed the 12 gallon water tank. I find that this space is better used for storage. I did keep the waterline in just in case I change my mind. It has nice curtains already in there that I removed and my wife washed and I bought new curtain rods and rehung the curtains as you'll see a picture. Then before I put all the benches back in I bought a remnant of vinyl floor at Lowe's for $35 and put that down. I have to say all the electrical and the city water and everything else works fine including the taillights and not to mention the two burner stove. Now we moved to the outside. As I stated before the first thing we did was to power wash the outside which took 95% of the dirt off. Then I took soft scrub gel with bleach and a green scrubby pad and cleaned the whole outside. This removed every bit of dirt, black scuff marks and 80% of rust stains caused by rusty bolts and hardware on door hinges and stone shield hardware. To clean the remaining 20% of rust stains I used 320 grit sandpaper wet. This cleaned everything perfectly now to make it shine. It's pretty hard to bring old gelcoat back to its original shine and keep it there so I looked online and found a product called Zep liquid floor look wax, you can get this at Lowe's. I applied three coats of this, when you were done with each coach where you started was dry and you could start all over again it took about 2 1/2 hours to apply all three coats. The last thing I had to do was to get new rims and tires this cost me $205 that's with tax. Altogether moneywise that I have in this camper is $205 for tires and rims $44 for one sheet of pressure-treated plywood $24 for a Zep wax $35 for floor remnant six dollars for a bottle of spray nine and $19 and some change for new hinges for the cabinet doors and that brings it to a total of $327 plus the price of the trailer 400 brings out to $727. Needless to say I'm a happy camper. It took me a total of nine days from start to finish and that's probably not working on it every day. We already went on an overnight camping trip a total of 357 miles round-trip it towed perfectly and was very comfortable. I think this will be a keeper. All comments and questions are welcome and if there's a way I can clarify things please let me know. Scott Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1415250252.592801.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	78409Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1415250278.364548.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	78410Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1415250298.047325.jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	78411Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1415250320.431283.jpg
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	78412Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1415250351.390206.jpg
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	78413Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1415250388.107030.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	78414Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1415250414.165527.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	78415Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1415250431.348738.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	78416Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1415250491.589647.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	78417Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1415250513.421669.jpg
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	78418Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1415250578.741480.jpg
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	78419

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
ritman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:05 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A true "barn find," Scott, the kind we all dream about, but few encounter. I'm glad this one found a home where she will be loved. You took care of the basics, but surely you still have winter projects in mind, right?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:06 AM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Wow, nice story. Glad somebody got it that appreciates it and saved it. Enjoy!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:12 AM   #4

Pennsylvania
This truly was a great find. My wife and I are planning a 3-4 week trip across country and this will make it more affordable. Yes I am going to tweak some things over the winter.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:17 AM   #5

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Wow, nice story. Glad somebody got it that appreciates it and saved it. Enjoy!

Thanks timber wolf. This is such a great find. Every time I go outside I look in and can hardly believe it. I kid with kids and grandkids I call my motor home.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:41 PM   #6

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: currently shopping
Alabama
A truly great find, and a wonderful job of fixing and saving a little Scamp camper. Your hard work has paid off well. It is nice to have you share your "plan of attack" for your problem solving right here on the forum too. It does help to know what to do and how to do it for the problems you encountered. Thanks for all of the information. I know you and your family will be so happy with your "find".
Elizabeth Nevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:41 PM   #7

Name: Pineapple Man
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Ohio
Glad this little orphan finally found a loving home. Am sure you all have many happy moments ahead !
Old 01-04-2015, 07:29 AM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Good job, Scott! Hard to believe you got all that done in just nine days. We're hoping to use ours to travel the U.S. and Canada too. Hope to see you out there. Congrats!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:19 PM   #9

Pennsylvania
Elisabeth,Tom and Pineapple Man. Glad you like,can't wait till spring to start using this little find. Thanks for your comments.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:28 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Great find!!!!!

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:20 PM   #11

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Wow Scott you really were in the right place. I'm happy you decided to keep it and if you ever decide to sell. Well let's just say I think you will do good. LOL Congrats to you.

Tags
scamp