SCREEN-HOUSE I'm still sort of new-altho some of you have been helping me this week - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #1

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
SCREEN-HOUSE I'm still sort of new-altho some of you have been helping me this week

before my casita...i had a little guy. with an attached screen house. i see lots of awnings but no screen houses. i really, really like to be out...but dont like bugs. does anyone else use one? is there one that goes up easy with one person?

i searched and couldnt find any on here. thx.
lpk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have a Eureka Northern Breeze screen house. We like it because it has flaps to close it in, or roll them up for the screens, or it comes with poles to use one flap as an awning. Get extra poles if you want more awning. We use it as our dining room / living room, and heat it with an electric heater or propane Mr Heater. I would say it takes two people to put it up. We bought our daughter a Swiss Gear canopy with the optional screens, probably could be put up by one person. Not sure if you're looking for a separate screen house or one to attach to the trailer, the ones I mention are separate free standing ones.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
how about this... it takes less space than a folding chair and deploys in seconds with only one person...
New Outdoor Escapes Pop Up Screen Room Enclosure 6' | eBay
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We use a FirstUp. We tie back the screens on one side, prop it against the camper where the door opens under it, making it like an extra room. Keeps the bugs away mostly including inside the camper. They seem to be too dumb to come in the cracks between the camper and the screens.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Uhaul FirstUp.jpg  
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:09 AM   #5

New York
Our objection to a screen house attached to the camper is having to work a zipper every time we go in or out. I know many like that setup, and I can see the benefits of it, but we'll stay with our separate screen house. And yes we have to zip that too.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpk49 View Post
i see lots of awnings but no screen houses.

i searched and couldnt find any on here.
Screen House or Screen Room?

Using the "Google Custom Search" option in the drop-down search menu I found these:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oom-25417.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...cro-42510.html
Old 04-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #7

New Hampshire
ty frederick...i'm still learning my way around here. you sent me lots of info.

floyd...i love that little thing.

mary and bob-the way you set up your screen room is how i did it with my little guy. i was 12x12 i think and had screens and walls...i had a dining area , my "recliner" , and a desk area...i was very comfortable.

mine sort of attached to the camper...and bugs didnt get in but one night a skunk did. i was asleep in the camper and when i saw it i held the dogs mouth shut so he couldnt bark and just watched for a long time until the skunk realized there wasnt any food and left.

i'm spending a lot of money just getting on the road this week...but it is good to know there are many out there to look at...

thanks everyone. kayak
Old 04-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #8

New York
We were set up in a campground in GA for the winter, and our big critter problem was squirrels during the day and racoons at night. The racoons would get in the screen room, check out everything, tip over the toaster and coffee pot, and carried away a stack of coffee filters, no real damage but they were annoying. I have an old electric fence charger and some wire I'm taking with us next winter, that should solve that problem.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
......... I have an old electric fence charger and some wire I'm taking with us next winter, that should solve that problem.

Post the video.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #10

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
in fort desoto, where raccoons call the shots, we watched as 3 extremely well-fed little stinkers explored around our neighbour's campsite. they had a cooler on their table which they had (foolishly) tried to secure with duct tape. in it----a whole load of mackerel, with the top six having been fileted and were ready for that night's supper.
our neighbours were nowhere to be seen. those raccoons expertly peeled back the duct tape, removed the lid, grabbed a filet in each paw and zipped away to the bushes behind the site to feed. we went over to the site, took the cooler and wedged it underneath the table bench. imagine their surprise when they returned and were expecting a relatively quick supper prep....only to have to start the fish-cleaning process all over again.
it was our welcome to fort desoto, as we were setting up camp when this happened. it sure made us wary for our own coolers!!
as for screen tents---the neighbour on the other side had eggs and bacon in their cooler in the screen room. guess they forgot how much raccoons love raw eggs!
that ol' screen room didn't keep those critters out at all...they simply undid the zipper!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #11

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
how about this... it takes less space than a folding chair and deploys in seconds with only one person...
New Outdoor Escapes Pop Up Screen Room Enclosure 6' | eBay

I have thought a lot about getting one of these! I think it would be good.

Donna D. might remember who it was but we use to have a member that had one. He wrote a very funny store about setting it up & taking it down. Maybe they are still members and will pop in on this topic.

Good Luck in your hunt.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #12

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Don't know if you could use something like this or not BUT if you travel alone something along this line might work for you. Coleman - 15 ft. x 13 ft. Screened Canopy

Look thru the Coleman sight you might find something that would work for you.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Musgrave View Post
Donna D. might remember who it was but we use to have a member that had one. He wrote a very funny store about setting it up & taking it down. Maybe they are still members and will pop in on this topic.
It was Benita, unfortunately the original thread was lost in the hack. And I have to agree, it was so funny it made my eyes leak. Here's a taste: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oom-25906.html
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #14

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Rather than a screen room without a floor, we're thinking about a tent about the same size as a screen room. Some tents open quite widely making them much like a screen room. Wanting the floor to discourage critters.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #15

New Hampshire
my screen room had a floor...i would definitly want a floor.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #16

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpk49 View Post
my screen room had a floor...i would definitly want a floor.
We use one of those reversible polypropolene camping / patio mats for the floor in our screen room. They sweep and wash off easy. Our screen room is 12 X 12 but couldn't find that size mat so we use a 9 X 12. Also have one 6 X 9 by the camper door along with a door mat made from old fishing line that we got in Maine.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #17

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Do you have pictures Bob?
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #18

New York
Picture of the mat?, I got them on ebay, "RV trailer patio outdoor mat"
Old 04-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Picture of the mat?, I got them on ebay, "RV trailer patio outdoor mat"
RV trailer patio outdoor mat | eBay
Old 04-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #20

New York
Thanks Tom, we have the #119183, same pattern & color in both sizes. They are light weight and clean easily.