Searching for mine!! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-27-2019, 09:34 AM   #21

Name: Deb
Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot B19
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Towing my 17B Escape with a 2008 Toyota RAV4, I get 15 MPG US. ( it uses 15 litres / 100 kilometres ). It has a 269 HP V6 engine.
I'm usually going up and down mountains.

On the freeway, with no tow and no slopes, it uses 10 litres / 100 kilometres. ( 23 MPG US ).
Around town, fuel economy is closer to my towing mileage than no tow freeway mileage. ( kilometreage? ).
That's good to know Glenn. To this point, I could only guesstimate based on internet reports of how to calculate your "kilometreage" when towing. I am also looking at a RAV4 today! And I suspect I am in a similar locale as you. Interior of BC so lots of mountains everywhere. There isn't a flat spot for 100 miles! It's the long hauls that I am hoping will be more reasonable fuel-wise. But I will take 15 mpg over 9 any day of the week!
Cheers.
Deb Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:41 AM   #22

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Arthurs View Post
I would love to make the jump to a GMC motorhome. I just missed a gutted one for sale local to me. Have you sold yours yet?
Hi Doug. I haven't sold her yet. Just made this decision a couple of weeks ago. I have a one week workshop on Vcr Island booked the first week of June, so I was hoping to have her till then. Hate to find myself with no roof over my head if I haven't found my trailer yet!

PM me and I can fill you in on the details. She is a very nice coach. LOTS of major mechanical upgrades. I love her! Just can't swing the gas for the long trips back East to visit family. Really the only reason I am looking at a trailer instead. And I love character and retro. Which is what drew me to these FG units.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:07 AM   #23

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev in Oregon View Post
Deb, for what it's worth, I have a 1988 17ft Bigfoot that I pull with my 1995 4.0L Jeep Grand Cherokee (currently 275,000+ miles). Most of the time, my Jeep has no idea there's a 17-ft trailer being pulled behind, except for those gradual inclines that go on for miles.

You may want to consider that over time (or maybe right away!), you'll find yourself adding more weight, what with all the goo-gaws and other amenities you may want to bring along to make it more "you." Even a seemingly insignificant item can make a difference when multiplied by 10 or even 5.

I'm a die-hard Bigfoot fan, so you should expect a heavy dose of prejudice, but the 8-foot width and 6-foot tall interior is a real selling point. AND, my Bigfoot has a bathroom door, lol!

You've found the right platform for advice. Folks on this forum have lots of valuable insight and experience, and so far I've not been steered wrong.

The very best of luck finding your FG trailer and making memories!
Thanks Ev. I belong the the GMC motorhome community, so I know the value of a group of experienced folks when you're looking for advice, help, solace & commiseration That's why I came on board here before I really even started seriously looking.

I would love to do the Bigfoot, but it might end up defeating a large part of my reason for moving out of the coach - the bigger front face could be a killer for the gas mileage. I am thinking that I will go with the slimmer profile and likely stick to the 16'. But right now it's mostly window shopping and online tire-kicking until I have something to tow her with. Then I could seriously go shopping in person (once the snows melt up here anyway)

I am a pretty slim traveller. There's me and 2 small dogs. I've already figured out what I need vs what I want while travelling in the coach (which is a huge advantage). A small Honda generator and the BBQ will be the only items of weight and I will toss them in the back of the car, along with a couple of light lawn chairs, the water hose, and tools ("don't leave home without 'em!"). A few days of basic clothes fit in a small duffel (I do laundry every few days because I'm not a real boondocker) and I don't carry water for more than a couple of flushes - fill up when I arrive wherever and dump most of it before I leave. So I should be able to keep my loaded weight well under 2500-2800 lb on an 1800-2000 lb dry weight trailer.

That's the thought bubble at this point. Who knows, I may be wrong... it's been known to happen But I am listening to all advice and input. I have lots of time. I do want to be ready if the right one shows up, but I'm in no rush. I'd rather make this decision once.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:14 AM   #24

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Don't forget the weight of trailer options. Options are not included in dry weights. On many trailers, an AC, awning, even a spare tire are optional. Dry weights typically do not include the weight of batteries either. On some models, even a furnace and refrigerator are options. Check weights in the real world for more suitable data.

So dry weight is not just empty water tanks. Carrying some water can be very helpful for use during the trip on the way to the destination. We tend to dry camp (Cracker Barrel, Walmart, and similar) on the way to our destination, and dry camp on the way home.

A Scamp 16 could make a fine choice for you, but they are much more common south of the border.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 11:21 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My Escape 17B comes in at about 3,200 lbs. loaded and wet.
When it comes to the RAV4, mine has a small gas tank. Being cautious, I stop for fuel often.
Old 12-27-2019, 06:24 PM   #26

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
further, that 350 lb tongue weight comes out of your cargo capacity which is likely in the 1200 lbs total range, with the typical set of options I see on Highlanders. so that puts you down to maybe 800 lbs, now subtract driver + passenger and you're down to just a few 100....
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:37 PM   #27

British Columbia
John, Glenn & thrifty. Thanks for that information. I will keep all of that in mind when working out my weights. Fortunately there is a highway scale not too far from me so I will be able to get some real life numbers.

That being said, I am now the proud owner of a 2006 RAV4 V6 4WD with factory tow package, just broken in at a hair over 100K miles. So now that the tow vehicle is no longer theoretical, I can focus on my trailer search.

Things are progressing. ��
Old 12-27-2019, 10:05 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Mac View Post
That being said, I am now the proud owner of a 2006 RAV4 V6 4WD with factory tow package

The OEM hitch receiver that Toyota had available when I bought my 2008 was only Clsss II. You will need a Class III ( for weight distribution ) to use a WDH, and you will most likely need one.
To make the sale, my Toyota dealer brought in a hitch installer who installed a Class III Hidden Hitch. Pix are of my rig, without and with WDH bars installed. Some may caution against WDH, but I had the service manager check my receiver after eight years and all was well.
After market hitch and brake controller install cost me $650. Toyota hitch was listed as a $900 option.
Attached Thumbnails
NO WDH1.jpg   With WDH1.jpg  

hitch receiver check.jpg  
Old 12-27-2019, 11:14 PM   #29

British Columbia
Hi Glenn. This has a class 3 hitch. 5000 capacity and 500 tongue weight, so I should be good there. I have been wondering about a WDH. I was looking at sway control but I hadn't heard about weight distribution before starting my hunt. Moved across the country with what was likely a very over-loaded set-up many years ago. Had sway control bar but no WD. I will look into that as well. Thx.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:33 PM   #30

You do not have 5,000 lb / 500 tongue capacity. The hitch receiver may be rated for that, but the RAV4 is still only rated 3,500 lb. / 350. You use the lower number. See label on my WDH and read it all. My Hidden Hitch receiver is rated 4,000 / 400, the WDH is rated 14,000 lbs., but I am still limited to 3,500 / 350.
Attached Thumbnails
WDHitch capacity.jpg   WDHitch specs1.jpg  

Old 12-27-2019, 11:40 PM   #31

British Columbia
Hi Glenn. I know my vehicle is only rated to 3500 lb. I was just commenting the hitch numbers show that it was class 3 vs 2. I plan to stay well under that 3500 lb. my goal is a 16’ Scamp Escape etc. Maybe a 17’ Boler But that is still up for discussion.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:57 PM   #32

Excellent.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:23 AM   #33

Name: Sandy
Trailer: Trillium
AB
I did see a 13' on kijji in Vancouver
Miss Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:27 AM   #34

British Columbia
Thanks Sandy. I am actually looking for something bigger (16 or 17') so that I can have a bathroom. I'm at that age where 2 trips to the head are a necessity during the night and I prefer to have a loo with a door, (rather than the porta-potti) to close it off from the living area, especially when travelling with company.

But thanks for thinking of me! I have a few leads, but can't do anything serious till the motorhome sells. Could be sooner than later though.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:30 AM   #35

British Columbia
On another note Sandy. How do you find your Trillium? What size and layout do you have? They are very interesting, especially that Outback. I find it extraordinary that they have worked the layout to be able to include a flush toilet in that 6x10' interior. I have my eye on one, but am wondering if I might find it a bit crowded (2 small dogs as well as a travelling buddy on occasion).
Old 01-01-2020, 12:05 PM   #36

Looking at Trillium of more recent vintage, I would want to know who actually built it and what their reputation is. Seems there were two or three companies building "Trillium".
Even Escape had the moulds for a bit. I remember Reace ( ETI ) commenting on the poor condition of the moulds. ETI ended its relationship with that "Trillium".
Old 01-01-2020, 12:53 PM   #37

Name: Denis
Trailer: trillium 15
Ontario
Boler 17

Hi Deb if you were not so far you could look at and even try mine , im in the process of making a few changes , new fabric on cusions and curtains , i think you would like that size and weight ,
trilliumdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:14 AM   #38

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilliumdan View Post
Hi Deb if you were not so far you could look at and even try mine , im in the process of making a few changes , new fabric on cusions and curtains , i think you would like that size and weight ,
Thanks Denis. My family is all in S. Ontario. The main reason I am selling my GMC and moving to a trailer. Too expensive on gas and maintenance for my modest pension to be able to take the coach out there for visits. And the trailer will be more convenient for visits too. Park her, un-hook then run around in the car.

If I was within a day's drive (or so) I would take you up on that!
Old 01-04-2020, 11:56 AM   #39

Name: Larry
Trailer: Burro
California
License cost and trailer length

Here in California, any trailer over 16’ is classified differently than one under 16’, and I do mean under- even by a 1/4”.
The length is measured form ball coupler to back of trailer- not the bumper.
Do any other states do this?
If it’s under 16’, you have a PTI sticker on your plate.
My Burro license is almost free- PTI is good for multiple years and Is cheap-$10 I think.
My friends have a Casita 17’ and pay well over a 100 each year, while others have a 15’10” trailer and have the PTI Sticker.
Anyone know the exact length , coupler to back of body of a 16’ scamp?
Thanks,
Burroman
Burroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:22 AM   #40

Name: Larry
Trailer: Burro
California
Trailer length

I’d sure be interested in how many states do as California, and charge license fees based on length.
As stated a PTI license sticker is really inexpensive.
Also, I’d love to know what small trailers measure 16’ or slightly under, from front of coupler to back of trailer body,. They, Ca., doesn’t include the bumper.
Thanks to all,
Burroman
Burroman is offline   Reply With Quote