Searching for mine!! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-05-2020, 09:23 AM   #41

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burroman View Post
I’d sure be interested in how many states do as California, and charge license fees based on length.
As stated a PTI license sticker is really inexpensive.
Also, I’d love to know what small trailers measure 16’ or slightly under, from front of coupler to back of trailer body,. They, Ca., doesn’t include the bumper.
Thanks to all,
Burroman
I had to look up what PTI even is. Looks like it's just getting a permenant trailer tag instead of having to reregister every year. Is that correct? When I was in Tennessee, and now living in Virginia, I just asked for a Permenant Trailer tag for my boat trailer and again when I bought my Burro. When I moved to Virginia, they asked if I wanted a permenant tag for my truck too since it was big enough.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:40 AM   #42

Name: Larry
Trailer: Burro
California
Yes, Permanent Trailer Identification.
In California I think it only applies to trailers, not vehicles- hence the name.
Saves you a lot of $$$$.
Burroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:28 AM   #43

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
our Casita 16 has a PTI
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:02 PM   #44

Name: Deb
Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot B19
British Columbia
Found it!

Well looks like I have found my trailer. And passed along my GMC at the same time. I will miss her, but I think she has a good home.

17' 2010 Casita Freedom Deluxe. More trailer than I originally had in mind, but the way things worked out, I couldn't pass. She isn't here yet - we both need to wait for the snow to leave the mountains before anyone feels safe driving either one of them.
Deb Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:22 PM   #45

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Searching for mine!!

Well done! Just one caveat with this particular trailer. Tongue weight tends to run on the high side: 400-425# is typical. For that reason, Casita recommends a tow vehicle with minimum 5000/500# tow rating, and I concur.

Some have managed with a 3500/350# rating, assisted by WDH and careful loading, but I wouldn’t myself.

On the plus side it’s a very stable towing trailer.

Happy travels!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:36 PM   #46

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I concur with Jon.

Looks like you'll be trading in that RAV.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:43 PM   #47

British Columbia
Hi Jon. I know... I was originally planning for a 16’ Scamp or something along those lines, but this worked out so well for both parties I thought I would give it a go. The tongue weight had me concerned too, but I have seen a lot of folks (Casita forum & here) that do pull this one with a RAV but yes - with a WDH.

I have a good WDH coming and I do travel light. If it looks like it wont work out then I will look to upgrade the TV. I will keep my eye out for a 4Runner anyway. Just couldn't turn this one down. Easier to find a decent 4Runner where I am than the right trailer!
Old 01-10-2020, 10:30 PM   #48

Arizona
Registry
Searching for mine!!

Casita 17 and 4Runner would be a very nice combination.

For the capacity you need on a tighter budget, you might consider a used Nissan Frontier V6 pickup. They’re a nice size, not too big, simple and reliable.

Just random thoughts... sounds like you’ve got this in hand.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:03 AM   #49

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Casita 17 and 4Runner would be a very nice combination.

For the capacity you need on a tighter budget, you might consider a used Nissan Frontier V6 pickup. They’re a nice size, not too big, simple and reliable.

Just random thoughts... sounds like you’ve got this in hand.
Haven't driven a RWD vehicle in 30 years! Everything (even my motorhome!) has been FWD, or AWD (my Subaru) so I would rather stick to something FWD/4WD. I know I can get a good pickup with lots of towing capacity, for a lot less, but I am far more comfortable with a FWD beastie.

So I'm going to keep my eyes open for a good 4Runner (most likely).
Old 01-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #50

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Mac View Post
Haven't driven a RWD vehicle in 30 years! Everything (even my motorhome!) has been FWD, or AWD (my Subaru) so I would rather stick to something FWD/4WD. I know I can get a good pickup with lots of towing capacity, for a lot less, but I am far more comfortable with a FWD beastie.

So I'm going to keep my eyes open for a good 4Runner (most likely).
You do know the 4Runner is a RWD/4WD vehicle on a truck-type body-on-frame chassis, right?
Old 01-11-2020, 11:39 AM   #51

British Columbia
Quote:
You do know the 4Runner is a RWD-based vehicle on a truck-type body-on-frame chassis, right?
Knew little about the 4Runner, except folks saying it would be great to tow this with. So started researching this morning and am just discovering that now actually!! Maybe I will start taking a look at the pickups too! Could find a decent pickup for the right enough price that I can afford to use the truck just for the trailer and keep the RAV for my daily driver (we just had a nasty dump of snow, the roads were slush and freezing crap, and I loved the way this thing held the road! Not giving it up!!)

Thanks Jon.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:49 AM   #52

Arizona
Registry
I hear you. At one time I owned a Frontier 4x4 pickup and a Subaru wagon. If I was heading into the woods or towing, I took the Frontier. But for daily highway commuting on snow and ice, the Subaru was much more sure-footed. Both were great vehicles, but for different purposes.

On the other hand... having two vehicles adds issues with storage, maintenance, registration, and insurance. If possible, it's better to have only one. Modern trucks and truck-based SUV's are far more drivable and comfortable than they were 30 years ago. I suggest trying out a number of options and see how they strike you.

We have four in our driveway right now. Problem is I like them all!
Old 01-11-2020, 01:22 PM   #53

British Columbia
Quote:
I hear you. At one time I owned a Frontier 4x4 pickup and a Subaru wagon. If I was heading into the woods or towing, I took the Frontier. But for daily highway commuting on snow and ice, the Subaru was much more sure-footed. Both were great vehicles, but for different purposes.

On the other hand... having two vehicles adds issues with storage, maintenance, registration, and insurance. If possible, it's better to have only one. Modern trucks and truck-based SUV's are far more drivable and comfortable than they were 30 years ago. I suggest trying out a number of options and see how they strike you.

We have four in our driveway right now. Problem is I like them all!
Hard to pick a favourite If I did have 2, I would likely insure one in the summer (the TV) and the other during the winter months (the RAV). During the summer I spend more time riding my maxi-scooter than I do the car anyway. It's great for the short trips to the local grocery store, and I can hit the highway with it if I need to go into town for anything else. Car sat most of last summer.

So many options... limited funds! Or I would go buy "The One" new. Kind of restricted to something on the older side, which is why I was leaning toward Toyotas. They tend to live a long time.

I also need to have either an extended cab, or an SUV - I have 2 old dogs (small) that travel with me and can't have them in the front seat. The other reason for an SUV. Wouldn't work for them in a truck bed with a cap.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:02 AM   #54

British Columbia
Well, after doing lots of calculations of loaded weight (around 2900-3000#) and trying to keep the tongue weight within specs, but also within the safety % and not wag the dog, I have gone out and picked up a higher mileage, but mainly highway, one owner 2006 V6 4Runner. Have all of the service records, has been very well maintained and the vehicle is immaculate (like my RAV). You could eat off of the undercarriage!

The owner already installed the wiring, 7-pin and brake controller - was going to pass it along to his daughter to tow her 2800# pop-up trailer. She decided to get a Jeep (which apparently has been in the shop every second month!) Silly girl! Her loss, my gain.

Since I have admitted to myself that I don't drive daily (hardly at all anymore since I retired), I really don't need a 'daily driver' and if I decide it's too miserable in the winter to drive, I generally don't have to anyway! If it's that bad, I probably wouldn't go out in a FWD or 4WD car either, unless it was an absolute necessity. So, I've bought the 4Runner, and will resell the RAV. That way I know I will be comfortable with both my tow capacity and my tongue weight.

As much as I love that RAV, it isn't practical to have 2 vehicles, neither of which will do more than 3,000 km per year on average. I expect I will also love the 4Runner. The test drive was superb! Smooth, lots of oomph going up the mountain & straight as an arrow hands-off, even when braking. So thanks for all of the suggestions and advice. I look forward to getting out on the road this summer.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:07 AM   #55

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Reminds me, I ordered chicken chow mien at Logan Lake's only other restaurant. The waitress set the plate in front of me. I poked at what appeared to be sliced chicken loaf and asked, "what's this".
Waitress replied, "it's supposed to be chicken".