Seasonal Worker Wanting Home on Wheels - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-02-2022, 10:19 PM   #1

Name: Amanda
Trailer: in the market
OR
Red face Seasonal Worker Wanting Home on Wheels

Hi! I am new to the trailer community but am looking for a trailer to live in full-time. I am a seasonal worker not tied down to any particular place and thought trailer life could be a much better alternative to constantly renting and moving! I have a 2013 Ford Escape Titanium which I believe has a 3,500 towing capacity but I still need to double-check/put a hitch on it.

I just looked at a 1999 casita spirit and fell in love. Unfortunately, its listing price is well out of my budget but there are some issues with the trailer that I would love some advice on.
1) The owner says the previous owner told them the heater doesn't work but it is unknown why. Long term I want to put a pellet-burning stove in (for a drier heat source) so I don't know if it's worth getting fixed. Also, there is an AC unit that I would probably also take out does this have a resale value?
2) I would love to put in a composting toilet, how difficult is it to take the toilet out? Is there a resale value in it?
3) Owner cannot confirm if the interior stove works or the shower.
4) There are some holes from a cabinet the owner took out that need to be filled along with some poorly caulked previous holes and caulking around the windows.

Any and all advice about trailer living, renovating, bargaining, or further questions are welcome!!
manda_gio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:09 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
With molded fiberglass you’re likely looking at a minimum budget of $12-15K for a unit with a bathroom that’s not a huge project. That’s the bad news. Good news is prices seem to be stabilizing and softening. It will take some patient searching.

Besides the appliances, consider the chassis and floor. Rusted frames and rotted floors make for big projects. Many people don’t realize all vintage and many newer fiberglass trailers use wood as structural support in the floor. In some it’s exposed; in others it’s encased in fiberglass. Any can become rotten given enough time and neglect. Inspect underneath and inside every cabinet and bench looking, poking, and smelling for signs of water damage.

There is a helpful buyer’s inspection checklist in the Document Center (in the “More” tab). Download, print, and take it with you when you check out a potential purchase. Best to take a second set of eyes not emotionally invested in the purchase, even better if they have some RV experience. If that isn’t possible, you can post photos and ask questions in real time here.

With a limited budget, be prepared to kiss a few frogs before you find a “prince.”

A 16’er will stretch the capabilities of your vehicle. I’ve read a number of reports from folks towing 16’ers with the 2.0EB Escape, and the consensus seems to be “barely adequate, slow on hills.” Scamps tend to run a bit lighter than Casitas, and keeping it simple and basic helps. You can find 13’ers with bathrooms, but storage may be a problem.

Nothing light enough for your vehicle is going to be suitable for winter weather, so all this assumes you can follow the seasons with your work.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 08:56 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Older Casitas like the 1999 you were looking at were not as well built as the newer ones.

On a tight budget? Really molded FG trailers sell for a hefty premium over other trailers. And they tend to be narrower and shorter both in length and height. And other than newer Bigfoots and Oliver’s, done are four season.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 08:05 PM   #4

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
You might want to check out the 16’ Scamp. Your tow vehicle is a better match for it. There is one for sale in NH with a tiny wood stove.
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita