Sherry in Az - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2016, 11:31 AM   #1

Name: Sherry
Trailer: 2016 Casita FD 17
Arizona
Sherry in Az

Hi I am a recent widow and just this week sold our huge 5th wheel and truck (finally!). Very interested in a newer Casita for occasional travel that I can tow with my Lexus RX350. Couldn't get on their forum. This one was easy.

Sherry
WestwardHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:57 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the forum, Sherry, from a fellow Arizonan (White Mountains area)!

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. Sounds like traveling together was an important part of your life. Glad to hear you aren't giving that up! Downsizing makes a lot of sense.

Not sure about the tow ratings for your Lexus, but be aware the larger 17' Casitas can weigh close to 3500 pounds loaded and have a tongue weight well north of 400 pounds. For only one person, 16'ers from Casita or Scamp should be plenty roomy and quite a bit lighter.

See the thread Trailer Weights in the Real World for data on loaded weights of various makes and models. Post #297 links to a spreadsheet of the data, which you can filter by make or length and find average weights.

Best wishes getting back on the road!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:32 PM   #3

Arizona
Jon, Thanks for your welcome and advice.
I'm open to any and all suggestions and advice from Casita owners. I've been poking around the forums and haven't seen anything yet about surge protectors, I know they were important for our 5er.
Does anyone know why it's hard to get into the CasitaClub? I registered and looked at their news page and it appears no updating since 2015.
Anyone: for the Spirit Deluxe 17, what SHOULD I have and what I might like to add.
Finally, anyone know a recommended Casita upgraded in AZ?

Thanks,
Sherry
Old 06-29-2016, 01:27 PM   #4

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Welcome Sherry. You might want to join the other Casita forum
- Home Page
Tons of good info there and discussion about what people have added or not.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:06 AM   #5

Name: Liz
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestwardHo View Post
Hi I am a recent widow and just this week sold our huge 5th wheel and truck (finally!). Very interested in a newer Casita for occasional travel that I can tow with my Lexus RX350. Couldn't get on their forum. This one was easy.

Sherry
Hi Sherry - I live in Oracle, Az., and my friend is selling her Scamp. Call me and I'll give you her number: 520 896 2285.
The Tent Soloist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:29 AM   #6

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Sherry
The other Casita site. casitaforum.com is as easy to join as this one and has a wealth of information as well as a good "for sale" section. The Casita Club forum has always been cumbersome to join for some reason.

Walt
Old 06-30-2016, 11:16 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Just my opinion, but the Casita Club forum seems to be more of a social site than Casita Forum. The latter has a ton of details available with the "search" feature.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:42 AM   #8

Name: Rory
Trailer: In the market"
California
Quote:

Sherry
Sorry for your lose. I don't know all the info on your Lexus but a quick search shows 3,500 max if it came with the factory towing package and possibly as little as 2,000 lbs. depending on the year and options.
Rory B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:22 PM   #9

Name: Tom and Stephanie
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Welcome to the forum, Sherry, from a fellow Arizonan (White Mountains area)!

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. Sounds like traveling together was an important part of your life. Glad to hear you aren't giving that up! Downsizing makes a lot of sense.

Not sure about the tow ratings for your Lexus, but be aware the larger 17' Casitas can weigh close to 3500 pounds loaded and have a tongue weight well north of 400 pounds. For only one person, 16'ers from Casita or Scamp should be plenty roomy and quite a bit lighter.

See the thread Trailer Weights in the Real World for data on loaded weights of various makes and models. Post #297 links to a spreadsheet of the data, which you can filter by make or length and find average weights.

Best wishes getting back on the road!
Where are you getting your figures on weight for the Casita? They seem to be extraordinarily high...................
Tom Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:34 PM   #10

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Cantrell View Post
Where are you getting your figures on weight for the Casita? They seem to be extraordinarily high...................

From the spreadsheet in the linked thread, the average weight of a loaded Casita 17 is 3300 pounds and the average tongue weight is 425 pounds.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:26 PM   #11

Name: Tom and Stephanie
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Wisconsin
Thanks......still seems a bit high. I pull a 17' Freedom Deluxe. I think the range needs to be reported not just the average. I'll have to put mine on the scale and see what it comes in at.
Tom Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:28 AM   #12

Arizona
Registry
You're right, Tom. There's a great deal of variability in the data. Oddly, some of the lightest units had really high tongue weights. Just 4 units out of 36 had both a total weight under 3500 pounds and a tongue weight under 350 pounds.

One the whole, I'd say the averages represent the data pretty well. IMO, I would not tow a Casita 17D with a vehicle rated less than 4500/450. Tongue weight is more often the limiting factor, not total weight.

I hope you'll add yours to the database when you weigh it. Be sure to email Jon Vermilye so the spreadsheet can be updated. More data benefits everyone!

I mention all this because it looks like the tow rating of a Lexus RX350 maxes out at 3500/350*. I would recommend sticking with a 16'er for this vehicle. The average total/tongue weight of a Scamp 16 in the database is 2615/270 pounds. A Casita 16D (limited data) averages 3040/260. None exceeded 3500/350.
*optional tow package required
Old 07-01-2016, 04:30 PM   #13

Arizona
Thanks, I joined that also.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:32 PM   #14

Arizona
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory B. View Post
Sorry for your lose. I don't know all the info on your Lexus but a quick search shows 3,500 max if it came with the factory towing package and possibly as little as 2,000 lbs. depending on the year and options.
Thanks Rory. I do have the tow package.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:34 PM   #15

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Cantrell View Post
I got the Casita weight from Jonathan.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:46 PM   #16

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
You're right, Tom. There's a great deal of variability in the data. Oddly, some of the lightest units had really high tongue weights. Just 4 units out of 36 had both a total weight under 3500 pounds and a tongue weight under 350 pounds.

One the whole, I'd say the averages represent the data pretty well. IMO, I would not tow a Casita 17D with a vehicle rated less than 4500/450. Tongue weight is more often the limiting factor, not total weight.

I hope you'll add yours to the database when you weigh it. Be sure to email Jon Vermilye so the spreadsheet can be updated. More data benefits everyone!

I mention all this because it looks like the tow rating of a Lexus RX350 maxes out at 3500/350*. I would recommend sticking with a 16'er for this vehicle. The average total/tongue weight of a Scamp 16 in the database is 2615/270 pounds. A Casita 16D (limited data) averages 3040/260. None exceeded 3500/350.
*optional tow package required
Hummm, again, Jonathan at the factory assured me that I could tow the 17 with my Lexus. Now I'm getting worried as it's almost brand new 2015 with less than 10,000 miles and I love it.

Sherry
Old 07-01-2016, 04:51 PM   #17

Name: Rory
Trailer: In the market"
California
Here's another xls spreadsheet showing various owners trailers and the trailer weights.

Interesting cross-section of data from owners vs. factory or sale reps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GlassRvweight.pdf (49.0 KB, 4 views)
Rory B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:12 PM   #18

Arizona
Spread sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory B. View Post
Here's another xls spreadsheet showing various owners trailers and the trailer weights.

Interesting cross-section of data from owners vs. factory or sale reps.
Thanks!!
Old 07-01-2016, 05:19 PM   #19

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Hummm, again, Jonathan at the factory assured me that I could tow the 17 with my Lexus. Now I'm getting worried as it's almost brand new 2015 with less than 10,000 miles and I love it.

Sherry
I won't say it can't be done, but it is marginal at best. If you are set on a Casita 17 and want to keep your Lexus (don't blame you there!!), you will need to pack lightly, travel with empty holding tanks, verify your final loaded weight at a certified scale (truck stops, sand & gravel yards), and you will probably want to set it up with a weight distributing hitch because of the high tongue weight. Is the Casita factory going to help you with that last part?