Should I buy? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2020, 12:03 AM   #1

Name: Stephane
Trailer: Amerigo
Washington
Should I buy?

1973 Amerigo M-FG16
Owner says previous owner did a terrible remodel. He is asking $2500
Is it worth it?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0875 (1).jpeg   IMG_0887.jpg  

IMG_0898.jpg   IMG_0893.jpg  

IMG_0896.jpg   IMG_0874.jpeg  

IMG_0885.jpg   IMG_0894.jpg  

PNW camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:11 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Right now, $2500 is about right for a wood interior molded FG project.

The question is, do you have the time/tools/aptitude/covered work area to tackle such a project? Paying someone to do the work for you and it will make zero financial sense.

The other question is the condition of the wood. Soft floor, soft walls, soft ceiling, staining, all trigger a lot more work.

How much spare time do you have? Myself, I am retired so I tend to seek out projects. Just finished rebuilding a home. I've put 300 hours into my project trailer, that was in much better shape than the above (I paid MORE), and I am not done.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 08:40 AM   #3

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Right now, $2500 is about right for a wood interior molded FG project.

The question is, do you have the time/tools/aptitude/covered work area to tackle such a project? Paying someone to do the work for you and it will make zero financial sense.

The other question is the condition of the wood. Soft floor, soft walls, soft ceiling, staining, all trigger a lot more work.

How much spare time do you have? Myself, I am retired so I tend to seek out projects. Just finished rebuilding a home. I've put 300 hours into my project trailer, that was in much better shape than the above (I paid MORE), and I am not done.
Well I have two of those things you mentioned. But, I am not looking to do a full restoration. In fact I intent on lightening the load by removing most of the appliances & LP tanks. Everything save for the sink. Its my understanding this model weighs in at 1700 lbs. dry. I will need to cut that weight down by 500 lbs. All for towing mileage purposes.
My real question was price. And what should I be looking for when purchasing an Amerigo.

Thank you for the wise approach to it. It was well appreciated.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:54 AM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW camper View Post
Well I have two of those things you mentioned. But, I am not looking to do a full restoration. In fact I intent on lightening the load by removing most of the appliances & LP tanks. Everything save for the sink. Its my understanding this model weighs in at 1700 lbs. dry. I will need to cut that weight down by 500 lbs. All for towing mileage purposes.
My real question was price. And what should I be looking for when purchasing an Amerigo.

Thank you for the wise approach to it. It was well appreciated.
Zero chance of hitting weight goal. Zero chance it will weigh 1,700 pounds either. Wood interior supplies much of the structural strength to the trailer, so while you can delete appliances, much of the weight remains.

The exterior fiberglass on these older molded trailers could be described as "flimsy". Strength is created by careful placement of interior cabinetry. Its one reason you see a closet next to entry doors.

Check the spreadsheet for weights in the real world, its close to 3,000 pounds..... Amerigo is a 16 footer. To reach your weight target, you need to think 13 footer. Even then, it will be very challenging. Older poorly maintained wood interior trailers means likely rot. Some models get their structural strength from fiberglass cabinetry. Others get it via wood.

For reference, my Trillium 1300 (fiberglass interior, 3 foot overall length) weighed in at 1540 pounds, with no propane, no furnace, no battery, very little gear. I could possibly shed about 100 pounds, but then add back a battery so not that much. I could also remove all cabinet doors. At some point, you just give up too much to get so little.

I see you are in the PNW. Having lived and camped there for many years, I found most of my trips involved going over the mountains (I lived in western WA). Either I was going to Chinook Pass area, or further east. Lots of grades. I ended up going from a half ton pickup to a 1 ton pickup (bigger camper). Its not like living and camping in Florida.

Trailer dry weights are right up there with Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny. Even if they are "accurate", you will never tow a trailer dry. Dry weights tend to not include any options (like an awning), or a battery. Its not just no water.

If you are intrigued by weight, hook up to that Amerigo, and take it to the nearest truckstop. Get a certified weight, will cost less than $15.

Is this trailer worth $2,500? IMHO, yes. Will it meet your requirements? No.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:06 AM   #5

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Zero chance of hitting weight goal. Zero chance it will weigh 1,700 pounds either. Wood interior supplies much of the structural strength to the trailer, so while you can delete appliances, much of the weight remains.

The exterior fiberglass on these older molded trailers could be described as "flimsy". Strength is created by careful placement of interior cabinetry. Its one reason you see a closet next to entry doors.

Check the spreadsheet for weights in the real world, its close to 3,000 pounds..... Amerigo is a 16 footer. To reach your weight target, you need to think 13 footer. Even then, it will be very challenging. Older poorly maintained wood interior trailers means likely rot. Some models get their structural strength from fiberglass cabinetry. Others get it via wood.

For reference, my Trillium 1300 (fiberglass interior, 3 foot overall length) weighed in at 1540 pounds, with no propane, no furnace, no battery, very little gear. I could possibly shed about 100 pounds, but then add back a battery so not that much. I could also remove all cabinet doors. At some point, you just give up too much to get so little.

I see you are in the PNW. Having lived and camped there for many years, I found most of my trips involved going over the mountains (I lived in western WA). Either I was going to Chinook Pass area, or further east. Lots of grades. I ended up going from a half ton pickup to a 1 ton pickup (bigger camper). Its not like living and camping in Florida.

Trailer dry weights are right up there with Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny. Even if they are "accurate", you will never tow a trailer dry. Dry weights tend to not include any options (like an awning), or a battery. Its not just no water.

If you are intrigued by weight, hook up to that Amerigo, and take it to the nearest truckstop. Get a certified weight, will cost less than $15.

Is this trailer worth $2,500? IMHO, yes. Will it meet your requirements? No.
So I’m confused. The title says 1725 lbs and the guy currently tows it with a Subaru Outback, which can’t have more than 2000 lbs TC.
Perhaps its a make and model issue. The one I’m look at is a 1973 Amerigo M-FG16
Old 12-09-2020, 10:22 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Take the empty trailer to a truck scale , get an accurate weight - add 25 to 30% and hope for the best
Believe what you wish but Thrifty Bill pretty well nailed it
My opinion right or wrong has always been “ If I can’t afford an appropriate & safe tow vehicle then I won’t buy the trailer .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:34 AM   #7

Washington
Believe what I wish? I think this has got a bit astray. I’m asking if $2500 is worth it. But, I’m a bit weary when someone suggested nearly twice the vehicles weight that is listed on the title to be more accurate. Less of course the title company is that corrupt or so obtuse as not to record a proper dry weight. And the owner does indeed tow it with a Subaru Outback as he has towed it to my home.
I also understand that there are key structural points I. The trail, one being the closest and one next to the fridge.
But, I’ve decided not to purchase based on the fact I found something lighter.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:02 PM   #8

Registry
Title weights can mean nothing. When I bought my 1977 Trillium, first question from DMV was how much does it weigh? I could have told them almost anything.

Certified scale is the answer. As far as what others do, I’ve seen trailers towed by vehicles with zero rating. Copying someone else doesn’t make it right.
Old 12-09-2020, 01:48 PM   #9

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
NO!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 02:14 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
People often try and succeed at titling a trailer at the lowest weight they can get away with in order to pay lower title / license fees
The weight listed on the title may not be based in reality
Look up the GVWR for your particular trailer and also check “ Trailer weights in the real world “
You may be unpleasantly surprised

Our trailer has a GVWR of 5000 lb , it’s titled at 5000 lbs and my insurance company lists it for insurance purposes at 5000 lbs .
Doesn’t matter if I claim that I pack really light , filled the trailer with helium and it only weights 1700 lbs
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 09:48 PM   #11

Name: Tom
Wisconsin
I just finished a full restore on a FG-16. What shows in the pictures is worth $500 max in my opinion.
There will so much hidden stuff once you get started. I doubt you will make your weight goal also.
bigangelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 03:53 PM   #12

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
500 lbs is possible. Here is a picture of my Boler 1700 at a little under 500 lbs.

[IMG]20190623_164804_resized by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

Since the OP stated that he was looking to lighten the load to make it more economical to pull, I will point out that the difference in pulling a 1000 lbs trailer and a 2000 lbs trailer is minimal from an economy stance your biggest hurdle is the wind resistance. And before anybody chimes in, stopping is a whole different conversation.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 07:43 AM   #13

Name: Tom
Wisconsin
The Amerigo was the high end fiberglass trailer of that time, many times costing much more that a car that could pull it. The complete upper half is double fiberglass. Even if you gutted it I doubt you will make your weight goals. You would also look forward to replacing the axle. Mine had a 4" drop axle which I replaced with straight one. With the original they are so close to the ground you get suction to the road when towing. Even with all of that they are not as aerodynamic as other fiberglass trailers.
bigangelman is offline   Reply With Quote