Single, white Senior ready to Solo - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-20-2018, 02:01 PM   #1

Name: Diana
Trailer: 2017 Windjammer trailer
South Carolina
Single, white Senior ready to Solo

Hi, I'm Diana, and I've been RVing for over 30 years with the companionship of my sweet husband. Doug passed away in June 2017. We started tent camping, class c Holiday Rambler, a 30 ft Tahoe and finally our dream RV, a Forest River Windjammer. I've tried camping with Harley, my dog, but it's just too emotional. I want to downsize to a vehicle I can handle by myself and enjoy meeting up with like-minded folks. So, I'm open to ideas and suggestions for vehicles. I'm grateful for groups like this. People who like to RV are the best!
** I titled this thread as a spoof on the movie "Single, white Female" since I am a movie buff, not a racist!
DianaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:42 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Diana!

This forum is specifically devoted to all-molded fiberglass travel trailers (i.e., "egg"-type trailers like Scamp and Casita), so of course we'll try to steer you in that direction.

For one person only, a 13' Scamp or similar- with or without a full bathroom- is about as small as they come. It can be towed easily by any number of compact and mid-sized crossover vehicles. The 13' trailers generally weigh between 1500 and 2000 pounds fully loaded. You can pull one with a tow rating as low as 2000#, but most people find additional margin preferable.

For more space and storage you can step up to 16-19' trailers, but you'll need a larger vehicle to pull them.

Not everyone wants a towable RV- hitching and unhitching, backing, and maneuvering in traffic are all a bit harder, especially for a single traveler. My mother traveled solo for years in a number of small motorhomes. I prefer the comfort and driveability of a smaller tow vehicle, along with the ability to park the trailer and use the car to explore.

Best wishes, whatever you decide!

And yes, we like all colors here...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:45 PM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
There are many thousands of solo senior women who not only travel part time in RVs but also do it full time using the RV as their only home. There are a lot of support groups and forums that have been created by these women. There is a large gathering for women RV travelers planned for January in Quartzsite Arizona on BLM land where you can camp without utilities. Men are not allowed to attend any of the events, but they can stay in the trailers in designated areas of the campsite with their female companions. The events are for women only to encourage open discussion. (There is a second, very large, open to everyone, gathering that begins 2 days after the women's gathering) Both gatherings will include open house days for those who wish to let others view their rigs. Plus educational sessions on all kinds of topics related to the skills and tips for the lifestyle. Although they describe it as a van dwelling group it is not by any means exclusively van dwellers, there are many women in the group who have trailers and motorhomes, some fiberglass, others metal clad. Some even do this in cars and also tents. All are welcome. There is a focus on doing this lifestyle in a thrifty way conserving money. You don't have to arrive in an RV to participate, you could stay in a motel in town and drive out for the meetings in a rental car.

https://www.cheaprvliving.com/womensrtr/

Visiting Quartzsite during the winter months is a great way to see lots of different options for RVs both small and large, commercial as well as custom units, luxury to very basic. I believe there is also a fiberglass RV rally in that area in the winter, another good chance to get to visit inside and talk to owners during the open house events.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:59 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Get a tow vehicle set up for towing. I love the backup camera on mine. I can now backup and hook up no problem, solo.

Choose your trailer first, that will dictate tow vehicle. Most common trailers right now are Scamps (13 or 16 foot) and Casitas (16 and 17 foot).

Even going solo, a place to sit without taking up the bed, a bathroom, decent counter space, can all be important. That can make a 16 footer a good choice.

Also consider the length of your trips (miles and days). What works great for long weekend or even a week may not be so hot if you go for a month!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Diana

I admire your grit and I'm sorry you lost your husband. It can be tough to plot a different road for life.

There are groups you can join. They're NOT match making groups, but like-minded individuals who camp together for safety and camaraderie. You may want to check them out so see if any would be something that interests you. I do NOT belong to any of these groups, but have done some research to see if it's something that interests me in the future:

https://lonersonwheels.com/index.html

https://www.rvingwomen.org/

Solo RV'ers - Page 2 - iRV2 Forums

A Women's RV Forum run by Women RVer's! • Index page

Best of luck!

BTW, I GOT your movie spoof!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:48 AM   #6

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
My suggestion is you particularly focus on minimal maintenance since hubby is not around to do it anymore.

Stephen
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:24 AM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Albers View Post
My suggestion is you particularly focus on minimal maintenance since hubby is not around to do it anymore.

Stephen
For many of our camping friends, the woman is much handier than the man. Still, a project can take you away from what you want to do which is to camp! I picked up a second trailer last month that is a project, as I wanted something to work on through the winter. Its not really a good move financially, and we still have our Escape for our regular travels. Despite the durability of molded FG trailers, stuff wears out, not just appliance either, but frames and axles too!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:33 AM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Lucky you, Diana. You have already heard from some of the "All Stars". There are plenty more.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:16 PM   #9

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Welcome Diana!
Sorry for your loss.
Figure out what’s on your must-have list & shopping will be easier. For me, I wanted a camper I could park & not have to close up every time I needed to run to town; no ‘stinky slinky ‘ so no bathroom; SO wanted to be able to stand up to put on pants so no teardrops.
First time out will be a yay/boo thing. Missing him will be hard. But the satisfaction of doing it all by yourself is priceless.
Good luck!
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:14 AM   #10

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaQ View Post
Hi, I'm Diana, and I've been RVing for over 30 years with the companionship of my sweet husband. Doug passed away in June 2017. We started tent camping, class c Holiday Rambler, a 30 ft Tahoe and finally our dream RV, a Forest River Windjammer. I've tried camping with Harley, my dog, but it's just too emotional. I want to downsize to a vehicle I can handle by myself and enjoy meeting up with like-minded folks. So, I'm open to ideas and suggestions for vehicles. I'm grateful for groups like this. People who like to RV are the best!
** I titled this thread as a spoof on the movie "Single, white Female" since I am a movie buff, not a racist!
You have pretty much written my story. Wanting to get out and camp alone after the death of my husband, I ended up with a 16' and later a 17' Casita Travel Trailer. I pulled it with a Toyota 4Runner and learned to handle like a champ. I later remarried and we have gone to a 19' Gulf Stream Vintage Cruiser which I can also manage. Good luck on your new adventures.
Judy Dunavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:10 AM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
Another vote for a fiberglass "egg". My first RV was a 2010, 17" Casita Spirit Deluxe Travel Trailer. It was a GREAT way for me to "test the waters" without spending a fortune and, it could be towed by the 2004 Toyota Sienna minivan I then owned. From 2010 ~ 2013, I put over 50,000 miles on and crisscrossed America several times. Empty, It weighed less than 2500 pounds. Fully loaded, it was still under 3000 pounds (so, I had a generous safety margin). I did have to upgrade from the Class-2 OEM hitch to a Class-3 WDH (Weight Distributing Hitch). The Casita was easy to hitch/unhitch and set up; it just needs a vehicle with a tow rating of at least 3500 pounds. I've meet couples and solo females who full time in their Casitas. Scamps are very similar and, Oliver trailers are very nice upgrades (at correspondingly higher prices; think fiberglass Airstream). With an Oliver ( and some other brands), you can get a tandem axle trailer (which offers more room and a better ride; single axle trailers can be "bouncy"). I realized early on that I enjoyed the RV lifestyle and, started looking for a rig I could "graduate" to. After three years of searching, I decided on a Super-C Class, Diesel PULLER RV built on a Freightliner HDT (Heavy Duty Truck) cab/chassis (a 2015 Dynamax DX3-37RB ). My Super-C has the BEST floorpan I saw in three years of searching AND, four+ years later, I have not seen a better floorpan! I now live full time in my Super-C! I figure that while I'm healthy enough to drive an RV, I'm going for it. I can be old later!

If you can get to one of the larger rallies (Escapees or FMCA), you'll get to see HUNDREDS of different rigs and, get to play 20 questions with owners. When you get that opportunity, ask what they'd like to CHANGE on their rig (it's easy to live with the positives; it's the negatives that will drive you crazy).

Good luck in your search!
Regards,
John (aka FlyGuy)
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:23 AM   #12

Name: Connie
Trailer: Casita 2018 Independence
Arizona
Hi Diana!

I recommend a small Casita Travel Trailer. Many solo women use these. casitatraveltrailers.com

Please visit sistersonthefly.com and especially https://www.sistersonthefly.com/gall...ailer-gallery/

A video:
https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...1&action=click

Other resources: https://maliasmiles.com/solo-women-rvers/

P.S. IMHO, you’d do best to lose the “white” in your description, even with the movie explanation. No offense.
4) 10/15/1949
5) AZ
6) 2018 Casita Independence
TucsonGrandmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:25 AM   #13

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
I have a different suggestion....take the time to look at a few Class B Motor homes. These are built on standard sized vans and come in various lengths.
They handle and drive with car like ease, are easy to park and eliminate the hassle of hooking and un-hooking a trailer.....perfect for one or two campers.
I explored a “Leisure” Class B motor home made of fiberglass compression formed and insulated sides with a solid fiberglass top. They are manufactured in Canada on various chassis by maker like Mercedes Benz and Ford delivery Van platforms. I interviewed a current owner who downsized from a monster Class A motorhomes and loves his new Leisure motorhomes.....perfect size in his opinion......only downside may be the cost new but many other manufacturers seem to be adding this great size to their offerings.
He averages over 18 MPG on his rig......which is great for aany motor home.

Good luck in your quest and happy Camping !
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:27 AM   #14

Name: Louis
Trailer: Big Foot
Alaska
Aliner

I would suggest a small Aliner. They are not actually a fiberglass RV, but they tow easy and unfold easy. I have a sport in California and its great for one person. Its kind of crowded when my girlfriend joins me. I think it would be perfect for you
captlou3 is offline   Reply With Quote