Small RV that can sleep 4 persons - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2019, 10:47 AM   #21

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita 17 SD - sold - Lance 1475
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
A CRV is a great choice but save yourself a lot of money and head scratching and just get a nice tent. It checks off all the boxes and will save you a ton of money, on insurance, maintenance and depreciation. Plus, it still leaves you over a 1000 pounds for food, water and supplies needed to sustain the average young family with children on a camping trip.

-Teddy
I was at my local Honda dealer and they had a CRV with an attached tent on the back.
jimiller5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:54 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimiller5 View Post
I was at my local Honda dealer and they had a CRV with an attached tent on the back.

Which seems like a good idea until you run out of milk.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:11 AM   #23

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Any of the main line fiberglass 13' trailer will more than likely sleep 4. I have a 13' Scamp no bathroom. I can sleep 4. Small size doesn't matter much since you'll be spending most your time outside. If you add the bathroom to a 13' trailer the space taken up will probably eliminate the bunk beds at the front of the trailer thus making it a 2 person trailer.

As far as weight is concerned my 13' loaded for camping weighs in at 1700. Which is a bit above you're maximum. I suggest you look up "trailer weights in real world" on this web site http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html
Old 04-03-2019, 11:26 AM   #24

Name: Babs
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
No such thing

A Happier Camper starts at 1100 pounds base, and that’s the lightest fiberglass I know off. Sleeping four is possible with sleeping pads on the floor with nothing else in the camper. But towing with a CRV??? The posters are absolutely correct about gross vehicle weight, and you’d be starting with about 500 pounds of human cargo, 120 pounds hitch, bikes at a minimum of 25 pounds each, 65 pounds of kayak without any food, stove, propane, ice chest, or other gear and clothes. The Gross Vehile Weight of 4000+ you mention is the allowable weight of the package, including the vehicle itself. It is not the cargo capacity alone. Good luck.
Rockytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:31 AM   #25

Name: Teddy
Trailer: Jayco Designer
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimiller5 View Post
Terrific! But I prefer something free standing like a tent alone or set onto a small utility trailer that you all can drive away from for breakfasts at IHOP.

Seriously, my somewhat cynical pitch comes from years of camping experiences with young families and many small camping solutions of my own or other wonderful DIY solutions I have seen at campgrounds. Many are built of wood, PVC pipe, tarps, acrylic canvas, wavy-style fiberglass patio panels, recycled content, etc.

I am always surprised what anyone with the desire can fabricate or adapt to provide simple shelter and, importantly, get your "terra" high and dry above a shower of rainwater running through a campsite. Let the kids help plan and do it. I'm thinking a simple transformer like tent affair atop a very small Harbor Freight style or similar cargo trailer would serve you well and might include some space for water and supplies, too. Most of these tiny trailers can be stored in a very small space tilted-up and even repurposed for other chores.

Don't get lost in all the fancy product out there angling for your wallet. It not what it looks like but what it does to facilitate warm, dry and cozy camping that counts. Realize too, that at least 2 adults can always bed down nicely in that CRV if need be. I've done so many times. The point is, it doesn't have to be a fancy budget breaker with co-lateral costs infinitely into the future like storage, upkeep, payments, etc. After all, making memorable experiences in the hear and now is what it's all about, right? So, that's my minimalist take on it.
-Teddy
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:57 AM   #26

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
4 people, even if 2 are small kids, would be incredibly cramp on a rainy day in a 16 or 17.

our casita 16 could sleep 3, 2 on the main bed, and 1 on the side dinette converted to a bed. the dinette bed was only 24" wide, which as a large adult I just don't fit on, but a kid would be OK.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:38 PM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
4 people, even if 2 are small kids, would be incredibly cramp on a rainy day in a 16 or 17...
We've dealt with that issue (in a 13'er). Play house/fort under the dinette, spread out a blanket on the folded dinette and play with Legos, build a dollhouse or a pirate ship from an old cardboard box, scissors and tape... The adults get the front sofa to read, work on laptops, my wife does needlework. Or jump into the car and drive to a nearby town to visit a museum, tour a college (our oldest has her sights set on Cal Poly due to a rainy day at Pismo Beach), go bowling, try out some local grub... If it's not a driving, drenching rain, put on raincoats and go for a hike. A wet, misty day has its own special kind of outdoor beauty. And if all else fails, there's always electronics. Movie and Jiffy Pop in a Scamp... how cool is that!

Really, once they hit the walking stage, small kids require more space and activity than teens or adults. Even a large sticky will likely require intervention during a whole day of rain! It's not about the size of the trailer but the size of your imagination!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:30 PM   #28

Name: Tom
Trailer: In the market
British Columbia
My advice is to stick to a tent until you can afford both a trailer and a suitable tug.

I've been tenting for all of my 50 some odd years. A good sized quality tent, a 3" thick self inflating mattress for each person, and a dry shelter big enough to put right over the picnic table will keep you comfortable for weeks of camping, even into shoulder season. The whole thing can be bought for less than $1,000 and weigh less than 100 lbs. I prefer those thick therm-a-rest style mattresses to a cheap open cell foam mattress found in older trailers. The dining shelter is a game changer. It makes camp life civilized, even in the rain.

I'm biding my time until my kids finish Uni and we trade in our Rav4 for a suitable tug. Then it's trade-in and trailer buying time.
Anachron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:19 PM   #29

Name: Elaine
Trailer: Looking to purchase
Arizona
Find a Meerkat camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alplanner View Post
Hi, I am Alvin, a newbie to RV. I owned an Honda CRV. I am looking for a small RV with gross tow weight less than 1,500 lbs but can sleep up to four persons. Is it possible? Thanks for any suggestions,
Hello, I started my search for a small rv with a Honda CRV tow vehicle. Everyone said to get a larger tow vehicle. But I kept searching and found The Meerkat travel trailer. They are 900 lbs and my 2012 crv can tow 1500. I absolutely love it. However it will only sleep 2. Maybe 1 small child but either get attachable tent or memory mattress for inside the crv.
Anyway.....the trailers are made in San Diego CA. 13 ft. Porta potty, pump sink, fridge or cooler cabinet or just extra storage. Cool fan. Pop up top if you need the height but I dont. So much storage space. Available tent attachment accessory. Or canopy with or without screen. Lights run off 12 volt battery that charges while driving. or plug in at campsite or solar power ready!..
You dont even know your pulling it and so easy to take up mountains like Yosemite or northern AZ mts.
Definitely check it out. It was the answer to our dilemma. And the meerkats are popping up at lake lopez CA may 18th for a gathering .
Littleguyslittletrailers.sandiegoCA
THIS IS YOUR ANSWER!!!!!
MEERKAT TRAILER
Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:39 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Everything you put in that "So much storage space" increases the weight of your trailer.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:59 PM   #31

Name: Elaine
Trailer: Looking to purchase
Arizona
But it's great space for comforters, pillows, sleeping bags and clothes. All light weight but bulky. In my retirement yrs., much more comfortable than a tent, cozy for cold or rainy weather, start out weight is great and towing is super easy and aerodynamic. Still get 22mph. up all these western mountains.
Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:36 PM   #32

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The OP needs beds for 4 adults (2 adults and 2 grown children). The Meerkat is a nice trailer, but it has only one bed (albeit a large one).
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:08 AM   #33

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
4 people, even if 2 are small kids, would be incredibly cramp on a rainy day in a 16 or 17.

our casita 16 could sleep 3, 2 on the main bed, and 1 on the side dinette converted to a bed. the dinette bed was only 24" wide, which as a large adult I just don't fit on, but a kid would be OK.

Ya Gotta be bigger. It also limits the places you can go get into. Bigger is better.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:39 AM   #34

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The OP needs beds for 4 adults (2 adults and 2 grown children). The Meerkat is a nice trailer, but it has only one bed (albeit a large one).
+10 As long as four are comfortable sleeping in one queen sized bed, its nice.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote