Snagging a 13 ft camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2022, 05:06 AM   #1

Name: Dorothy
Trailer: Custom teardrop
Virginia
Snagging a 13 ft camper

Hello! I am Dorothy and could use some guidance on how to:
1. Make contact and decide on a camper from long-distances before it’s sold. What’s the best way to make contact with the selle? I seem to be missing the mark.
2. It seems like quite a few campers in the classifieds are for sale in Canada. What issues might I run into when driving it back to the states and through customs? (We do have passports).
We currently have a homemade teardrop, that we’ve enjoyed for years. It’s really just an enclosed bed on wheels, and we find as we’re aging, we now really need a “standy”. Also, I’d prefer to keep the tow cap down, so my subaru continues to be our primary camping vehicle.
We began searching last year, but really want to kick up the search this year.
Thank you for any guidance you may be able yo offer!
Dorothy Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:17 AM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
13' for sale in the near future

Dorothy,

We have a new Scamp on order and it will be built in 2023. We currently have a 2016 Scamp 13 Standard with big bed, a/c, furnace, and front bench. It will be for sale in the near future, we have camping commitments thru October.

Perhaps you would like to "Kick some tires." This 13 is in excellent condition, always stored inside and has new tires.

Bob H
BobH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 04:34 AM   #3

Virginia
Hi Bob!

Bob, Apologies! I am struggling with comms on this site. So I immediately sent you a message when I received your response, but I now find that I have to respond thru post. So, one more time…
Very cool of you to respond! And thank you for the early offer, however 1. I’m hoping to find something this season to start enjoying this fall, and 2. Full disclosure, the prices I’ve seen, I’m pretty sure we can’t afford one as new as yours. Do you have an asking price in mind? By your post, I imagine you take very good care of your camper, so I’m guessing it’s in great shape.
Thank you again for reaching out, and if the summer search does not shape up as planned, I’ll come knocking.
Dorothy
Old 06-29-2022, 06:14 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy Bell View Post
Bob, Apologies! I am struggling with comms on this site. So I immediately sent you a message when I received your response, but I now find that I have to respond thru post.
You should be able to send private messages, but the site does not allow new members (fewer than 10 posts) to include clickable links as an anti-spam measure.

The problem often comes when exchanging contact information, since e-mail addresses and phone numbers are automatically converted to active links. You can work around the restriction by spelling out parts of your contact, such as "johndoe at gmail dot com" or "21six-4eight0-127four."

Best wishes in your trailer search!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 07:18 AM   #5

Virginia
Aha! Thanks for the intel!
Old 06-29-2022, 10:45 AM   #6
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
Snagging a 13ft. camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH. View Post
Dorothy,

We have a new Scamp on order and it will be built in 2023. We currently have a 2016 Scamp 13 Standard with big bed, a/c, furnace, and front bench. It will be for sale in the near future, we have camping commitments thru October.

Perhaps you would like to "Kick some tires." This 13 is in excellent condition, always stored inside and has new tires.

Bob H
Just out of curiosity, what does a new 13 ft. Scamp cost these days? I bought mine in 2020 but I know costs have gone up since then and must be really increasing, getting materials etc.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 01:28 AM   #7

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Mjo,

Our 2023 has been on order for almost a year and it is a tweaked deluxe. The cost was approaching $23K. When an order is made Scamp locks in the price, I bet there has been a price increase. The 2023 Deluxe will be our 50th wedding anniversary to ourselves.

Dorothy,

Our 2016 Scamp is in excellent condition. It shows no wear and we have no pets.
We had it special built with no front window, the front bench area looks more spacious.

This our 3rd Scamp, on our first 2 we never re-moved the rock shield so we didn't need or want a front window on the new one.

I throw out a price of $17K on the 2016.

BobH.
BobH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 05:26 AM   #8
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
Snagging a 13 ft camper

Well, you show extremely good taste!! I just have the “basic” with added bathroom, larger bed and just had the furnace and A/C installed, I took mine up to Scamp in June for the addition of the A/C and furnace. I first saw Scamps in the 70’s at a boat show in Boston and finally got one in 2020 and just looking at it in the yard !! Just so you know, the Wyndham Americinn about 30 minutes down the road in Pequot Lakes/Jenkins on the Paul Bunyan Trail, gives a 15% discount to Scamp customers and it’s a very nice place to stay. (has a big inside pool also) I’ve stayed there both times I went to Scamp. Happy 50th !!
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote