Snoozy Interest - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2021, 11:26 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Illinois
Snoozy Interest

Hi, My name is Mike. I'm retired and considering getting a Snoozy camper.
michics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:40 PM   #2

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
I bought our Snoozy in 2012. We now have 50+K tow miles on it and 4 years of nights sleeping in it. A very good trailer, but like all not perfect. I love the design and the layout. We had propane added to ours at manufacture with a two burner stove for times without shore power. Condensation can be an issue when inside temperature is significantly warmer than outside temperature. I do not like the surge brakes. Their functionality is excellent, however they pose a huge disadvantage when the tug is on wet roads and not providing any significant stopping power to activate the surge brakes.
Improvements we have made: Reflectix applied to the ceiling. This makes it substantially easier to cool on very sunny and hot days. We often leave home for 5+ months at a time and may stay in the same campground for 3 or 4 months leaving only to get groceries. The itty biddy 3.6 cu.ft. fridge provided little food storage and necessitated leaving a resort campground every 3 or 4 days to go to a grocery store. Our solution was to remove the shower door, toilet, and shower water hook up. We then installed a 6.6 cu.ft. refrigerator in the shower area and a hanging closet under the rear mounted Fantastic Fan. Under the hanging cloths we now have a convenient place to keep shoes. In the old fridge space we put in a self contained Thetford suitcase toilet that easily slides in and out for use or cleaning. In the additional space above the Thetford we put in a shelf for storing cleaning supplies.
We have an outside shower and optioned for the extra window as well as the extra bedroom window. In retrospect I think we may have optioned for more cabinet space rather than the extra large window. In an 18 foot trailer storage is always an issue. Leaving home for 5 months provides additional storage needs. We have no television as we hate television and have not owned one for 30+ years even in our home. We tend to camp at Nudist resorts and this helps to some degree minimizing the amount of cloths we need to travel with. However, I am a musician and mandolins / gear take up space.
Our Snoozy has required minimal maintenance with the usual needs such as tires and one time brake pads/ rotors. It is very easy to tow with no sway issues. We tow with a 20 year old four liter straight six, 2 wd, 5 speed manual, two door Jeep Cherokee (AMC design before Chrysler ruined the Cherokee).
I would think improvements have been made on the Snoozy since we purchased our's new in 2012. Most of the changes we made to ours should be something the current owners would be willing to do since no change is needed in the basic layout. I'm not so sure about the propane or electric brakes in lieu of the surge brakes. In 2012 Snoozy was still owed by Alan and he brought in Sothern Propane to do the install after I purchased all my propane needs and had them shipped to Snoozyville.
With the shortfalls I mentioned I would still wholeheartedly recommend a Snoozy as all trailers have shortfalls. Additionally you may use your trailers different than we do and may not view shortfalls in the same vain as me.
If you have any more questions feel free to PM me and I will in turn give you my telephone number.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 02:43 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
The Snoozy is a great trailer. We purchased an empty shell in 2019 and built it our way. We have around 30k miles and no issues so far. We built it for off grid camping (boondocking). We have a 100ah lithium battery, 200 watts of solar, 2 burner propane stove, propex propane heater, camplux water heater which we setup when we want a shower, truckfridge 140 liter 12 Volt DC refrigerator, 30 gallon, fresh and grey tanks, portable window AC unit which we carry in the truck and install when we need it.

Snoozy does a lot of customizing so you can get pretty much whatever you want. But I don't think they install propane stuff

You need to consider the type of camping you are going to do and outfit your trailer accordingly. The standard snoozy comes with electric only, which is fine for campground camping with electrical hookups.

If you are going to boondock, you are going to need some kind of stove and if it is cold you will want some kind of heater. Some folks use portable propane stoves, some have propane stoves installed. Perhaps you have read about condensation caused by catalytic type heaters that vent to the inside. A heater with a heat exchanger is best, because the exhaust gases are on the outside of the trailer and the heat is on the inside.

You will also need a cooler or refrigerator. Standard Snoozy has refrigerator that runs on 115 Volts AC, with an option for a 12 volt DC style. A propane refrigerator could be installed but I think it would be a messy job. If you boondock you will a good battery and a way to keep it charged to run the fridge.

Snoozy also comes with an electric water heater, not good for boondocking.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2021, 07:15 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
carl i have yet to have a condensation problem been to 18d i run a wave 3 heater i dont like carrying anything extra!

our A-Liner would make condensation like crazy due to all the exposed aluminum in the trailer but we could deal with it we just like the Scamp trailer we have..

we tend to use the KISS principle more and more as we get older! Park the trailer at walmarts get in the trailer light the wave 3 and thats the end of the day for us!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:48 AM   #5

Syracuse, NY
Bob, I am glad that works for you. I have never used a catalytic heater in my camper but I do know they produce H2O and CO2 and I have read numerous accounts of people with condensation issues, so I avoided them.

We use an electric heater I installed for campground use and the propex otherwise and we still get some condensation. It is mostly on the windows, a bit at the foot and head of the bed and in the bath area, which I purposely did not insulate. I try to keep a window and the fan in the bath area cracked open a bit which makes a big difference. I think the main contributor to our condensation issue is that we turn the heat off at night and let the trailer get quite cold. The air just can't hold the moisture at the lower temperatures and water condenses on the walls. Even at home we keep out bedroom temperatures in the low 50s and we get a lot of condensation on the windows, which by the way is now ice. Gotta love the polar vortex!

We can't wait to get our second covid shot and hit the road!

Happy trails
Old 02-13-2021, 10:06 AM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Illinois
Isn't condensation generally a issue with most camping trailers?
michics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:53 AM   #7

Syracuse, NY
There are many posts relating to condensation and mitigation strategies. I covered my empty snoozy walls except the shower area with reflectix then vinyl and plywood. The floor has cork under vinyl tiles. Venting is the easiest mitigation strategy, insulation, non-condensing material and heating work well.
The rat fur used on many trailers seems to work well.
Old 02-13-2021, 01:09 PM   #8

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by michics View Post
Owners that I have talked to of even those RVs with the best reputations for having 4 season capability talk of condensation. Obviously some RVs are better than others, but I believe condensation is the Achilles heel of RVs.
Old 02-15-2021, 02:31 PM   #9

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Snoozy Interest

We fixed the condensation issue in our 2014 Snoozy by installing Reflextrix and marine headliner in the bed area. We still get condensation on the windows but that isn’t a concern. The Snoozy is a great canvas to make your own. We have the 12 Volt Truckfridge and two 6 volt golf cart batteries to run it. We use an electric heater when hooked up and a Buddy propane heater when boondocking and a couple of butane cooktops for cooking. They can be used inside or out. We are never off the grid for more than four days so it works for us. We use our shower and toilet quite a bit.

My friend Shaun at Snoozy 2 says the new trailer has 3/4 walls with foam insulation that won’t absorb water. That is an improvement. There should be less condensation in it.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 05:32 AM   #10

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Quote:
Is the Snoozy still all-electric? We had one ordered under the old Snoozy. We loved the layout & the look. We ended up with a Casita. Not until we started camping did we realize buying an all-electric camper would have been a mistake.
We have stopped to rest & used the gas to heat & cook. We spent all summer on the road out west and the propane was a blessing. We carried a generator that ran on propane. Did not have to carry gas. A small tank would last 17 hours. We found ourselves camping in Walmart or boondocking more than once.
We ordered the Casita with everything because it is better to have something & not need it than need it & not have it.
PS, look at the Fiberglass Campers made in Canada. I knew nothing about them until after I bought my Casita. Wish you the best.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 05:35 AM   #11

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Quote:
Depends on where & how you camp. We never had any problems.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:53 AM   #12

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Have you ever owned a camper before? All electric = must either be tethered to shore power or run a generator. I haven't stayed at a campground yet that did not restrict generator operating hours so don't count on running a generator 24 hours a day.

While I never "boondock", I routinely dry camp. Dry camp means no hookups of any kind. My favorite state and national parks have no hookups. When heading towards a destination, I often overnight in a Walmart, truckstop or similar. Not getting hookups there.

Why do I overnight in such places? I can make MUCH better time. Why? Because such stops are convenient to the interstate or highway I am on. No time spent finding the campground, registering, setting up. I can show up later, no worries about setting up in the dark. They often have food or even a restaurant on site, so I will grab dinner and breakfast.

I tend to camp out west, and I live back east. So I want to go ahead and get to the west, where I then slow down, camp at regular campgrounds and state parks.

Being retired, I take much longer trips than I did when I worked for a living. Out west, most private campgrounds will have hookups of course. And camp sites tend to be cramped, close together. And I find them inconvenient. I would rather be camped inside the national park where I can immediately hike or whatever, versus being camped outside the park, having to go through the entry gate every day. I've seen some serious backups at entry gates. I've also seen gates close due to no parking left inside the park. Meanwhile, I have a built in "parking spot" via my campsite. And national park camping in particular is quite CHEAP. And with a senior's pass, you get 50% off! Incredible deal!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:08 AM   #13

Pennsylvania
Registry
The addition of propane to my Snoozy makes it much more versatile camper. In 2012 when we purchased our Snoozy the company was still owned by it's founder, Allan.
Allan did not carry the insurance and perhaps licensing needed to install propane and would not perform the work.
We came to an arrangement. I had all required hardware for propane sent directly to him. He used the templates that came with the appliances to design the counter requirements. He also had a local machine shop build a bracket for the front of the trailer to secure the propane tank. Lastly, Allan put me in touch with a local propane company to contract with me to do all the installation. If my memory serves me correctly the company was called SOUTHERN PROPANE. I can not quote the actual cost of installation but I think it was around $200.00. A very well spent $200.00.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:09 AM   #14

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Plenty of people boondock in an all electric camper. They use a portable Butane or Propane stove to cook on. Modern 12 volt compression fridges can run with as little as 2 amps of power. Remember, they don't run 24/7. I can generally go 2 days on my 7.7 amp Dometic portable with my 100 amp hour battery (50 amp hours usable) before requiring a top off. With a properly designed solar and battery system there is no need for a generator. If you are unlucky and the sun doesn't come out for a week, you have a emergency generator called an automobile. Just use jumper cables to your lead acid battery (can't do this for Lithium) and run for an hour or two or plug your trailer into the TV if you have a charge line setup.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:21 AM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Have you ever owned a camper before? All electric = must either be tethered to shore power or run a generator. I haven't stayed at a campground yet that did not restrict generator operating hours so don't count on running a generator 24 hours a day.

While I never "boondock", I routinely dry camp. Dry camp means no hookups of any kind. My favorite state and national parks have no hookups. When heading towards a destination, I often overnight in a Walmart, truckstop or similar. Not getting hookups there.

Why do I overnight in such places? I can make MUCH better time. Why? Because such stops are convenient to the interstate or highway I am on. No time spent finding the campground, registering, setting up. I can show up later, no worries about setting up in the dark. They often have food or even a restaurant on site, so I will grab dinner and breakfast.

I tend to camp out west, and I live back east. So I want to go ahead and get to the west, where I then slow down, camp at regular campgrounds and state parks.

Being retired, I take much longer trips than I did when I worked for a living. Out west, most private campgrounds will have hookups of course. And camp sites tend to be cramped, close together. And I find them inconvenient. I would rather be camped inside the national park where I can immediately hike or whatever, versus being camped outside the park, having to go through the entry gate every day. I've seen some serious backups at entry gates. I've also seen gates close due to no parking left inside the park. Meanwhile, I have a built in "parking spot" via my campsite. And national park camping in particular is quite CHEAP. And with a senior's pass, you get 50% off! Incredible deal!

bill we camp with a 13f scamp never have used any utilities even at a state park trouting! As you do we find it much easier to avoid all electricty! bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:32 AM   #16

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
2016 all electric Snoozy here. Very happy to have all electric. Have run my little Grandmotherbear's Den on generator at harvest hosts and Boondocker's Welcome. More of BWs hosts are offering plugin options.

DH is a native Floridians, and at the temps he requested for winter camping we had quite a condensation problem running the electric heater that came with. I found a 60 watt heated at Amazon, it keeps winter temps comfortable for Me and the cats, and DH has the options of wearing a knitted nightcap and gloves if he wishes to be warmer. I made a fleece blnkaet into our bottom sheet and leave windows generously cracked. No more condensation.
I really don't want any propane for my Den, as I'm starting to have memory problems.
Old 09-03-2022, 09:34 AM   #17

Name: David
Trailer: In the market
FL
Do you have pictures of the reflectrix install
David Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote