So why a FIBERGLASS camper? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-14-2019, 08:50 PM   #41

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500
Registry
Don't be afraid to buy a Trillium.

Having owner 2 Trilliums, 1978 1300 and 1980 4500, and I can tell you they are far better then older scamps and bolars which had poor floor design and materials used.
My 1980 4500 has over 60,000 miles with lots of desert and mountain back road being towed behind a 1993 4WD S10 Blazer 4.3 or 2002 4WD S10 crew cab 4.3 and have never been let down by the Trillium. We are boondockers so we needed something light that could be towed anywhere and back at anytime. Look at the post here of trillium owners and see what they say about them. Much sturdier built and can handle the rough roads. 3 years ago I replace the original axle 2000lb with a 3500lb axle and had them set the ride height 3" high for more ground clearance. I should have replace it 8 years ago as it made it tow even better and not as much bounce going down the road. It has a front bathroom with rv flush toilet not a porta potty and lavatory. I had the frame inspected when the axle was replace and no cracks or broken welds and they said it was in good condition, and believe me if there was anything wrong with it they would have wanted to repair or build a new frame for me as they knew I used it hard and would have them make it right.
ROBERT ONEILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:01 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I have no problem with cord storage, but nothing else is placed under that bench.
Attached Thumbnails
Cord 1.jpg  
Old 09-14-2019, 10:02 PM   #43

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
All brands of all-molded-towables need maintenance. But I can honestly say I've never heard of THIS happening to one. I grabbed this from a group I belong to on Facebook and deleted all the 'guilty party' info.
Donna, that's the "Easy Tank Dump" feature. Next year everyone will want one!

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:21 PM   #44

Trailer: 2008 Taylor Coach 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
John,

Is the "2008" a misprint?

I don't understand how the floor plans shown on their website are any different than many other trailers, including fiberglass models.

The pine frame and aluminium siding are the very things that we are wanting to get away from when we buy fiberglass, for durability and long life. Does that kind of construction seem better than fibreglass?

Not a misprint. I wanted the gaucho plus the dinette. The gaucho has a back that your can adjust to any angle you want while sitting on it. My back will not tolerate sitting at a dinette all evening even with extra cushions to provide some relied to the straight back or 90 degree angle. With the gaucho i can vary the angle during the evening which helps a lot.
John McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:34 PM   #45

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I have no problem with cord storage, but nothing else is placed under that bench.
In 12 years, I never had any problems with my Scamp either Glenn. BUT, if it had happened... even ONE time, I'd look to see why and correct it, either by building a partition(s) or something.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:05 PM   #46

Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McDonald View Post
...... I bought a new 2008, 17' Taylor Coach .....
I think the words "new" and "2008" are what is confusing. Did you mean "new to you"? Or maybe you bought it new in 2008? Or maybe there is an other meaning I'm just not getting.

Harold
Old 09-16-2019, 01:30 AM   #47

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McDonald View Post
I agree with the comments about leaks, resale etc with fiberglass trailers. I researched trailers online and rv shows for three years and could not find the floor plan I wanted in an egg.

I bought a new 2008, 17' Taylor Coach http://taylorcoach.com and I'm very pleased (no runs, no drips, no errors!) They are custom built, one-at-a-time, and Brad will offer you many different layouts and options. They are not cheap, but the dollar is strong these days, so that is helpful. Good hunting.

Cheers John
John,

I'm not trying to be difficult here, but I really don't understand your post. Please bear with me on this.

How can it be that you searched for three years, and could not find the floorplan you wanted in fiberglass? And then bought a sticky with the same floorplan as many fiberglass trailers? While acknowledging the advantages of fiberglass, you bought a "not cheap" fir framed and aluminum sided sticky? What is the advantage of the unit you bought?

I'm very happy you got what you were looking for, but I just don't get the statements in your post. Please, if you don't mind, enlighten me.

And again, I'm very happy you found what you wanted, after three years of searching. That is a long time to search floor plans!

You bought it eleven years ago, but reason that the dollar is strong "these days". Again, I'm lost.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:34 AM   #48

Name: Margaret
Trailer: 1977 Triple E surfside 14’
Ontario
Sunday

Dropped by the Rally yesterday and want to thank everyone for being so nice. I have a 1977 triple e surfside (just need to get it home) and my friend also has a cadet. We learned a lot and everyone was so nice to let us look at their trailers. The Rally will be on my calendar for next year. Hope to be there!
Maggie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:06 AM   #49

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
You bought it eleven years ago, but reason that the dollar is strong "these days". Again, I'm lost. [emoji782]
I assumed the remark about the dollar applies to someone else who might want to do the same today.

Really, I don’t see any value in nitpicking his post. Main point is he didn’t find what he wanted feature-wise in molded so he bought a sticky.

His reason points to a limitation of molded trailers I’ve heard before: lack of comfortable lounge seating. My Scamp’s front sofa does have an angled backrest that I find more comfortable than the dinette, but it doesn’t adjust. In general, comfortable seating tends to hog space, something most molded trailers don't have a lot of.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:35 AM   #50

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
My first unit was a little 14 foot stick built. It had no electrical components. The furnace and 1/2 fridge ran on propane, with pilot lights. The stove (3 burner) and light also ran on propane. It had a fresh water tank and hand pump. Open the valve and both drained, that was winterizing.
It had no bathroom, not a hit with the wife and kids.
We winter camped as low as -20 C. The little furnace had no problem keeping the unit warm. There was nothing to freeze. Never used more than 2 twenty pound tanks of propane per week.

We now have a unit about twice as big and everything runs on electricity. The fridge, furnace and hot water heater light themselves. The gas detectors run constantly. The furnace is forced air.
We have winter camped but this means no water systems. They must be drained and winterized. Holding tanks are also an issue. Solar panels which are more than adequate for summer use can't keep up during the shorter days with less sunlight and the long nights of furnace use so a generator becomes necessary.
I do feel that FG is more durable than stick built but there's lots of things to consider when buying a unit, basically what do you need and what do you want?
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:47 AM   #51

There is no perfect trailer, not built type, cost, layout, etc... just 'perfect' for the owner.

At the same time Mike, you joined a forum dedicated to all-molded-towables. You should expect members to cheer for their build type and poo-poo yours since they are simply not the same. I would expect the same treatment as I own Fords, I know what to expect at a Chevy forum.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:03 AM   #52

Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
There is no perfect trailer, not built type, cost, layout, etc... just 'perfect' for the owner.

At the same time Mike, you joined a forum dedicated to all-molded-towables. You should expect members to cheer for their build type and poo-poo yours since they are simply not the same. I would expect the same treatment as I own Fords, I know what to expect at a Chevy forum.

Well said Donna.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:18 PM   #53

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I assumed the remark about the dollar applies to someone else who might want to do the same today.

Really, I don’t see any value in nitpicking his post. Main point is he didn’t find what he wanted feature-wise in molded so he bought a sticky.
I don't consider it nitpicking to politely ask someone for clarification on what he meant. I do not care what kind of trailer anyone buys, but I might be curious as to why they picked a certain one. Especially when they included details I did not understand.

Anyone can make assumptions. My question was directed only at John McDonald.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:54 PM   #54

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
John,

I'm not trying to be difficult here, but I really don't understand your post. Please bear with me on this.

How can it be that you searched for three years, and could not find the floorplan you wanted in fiberglass? And then bought a sticky with the same floorplan as many fiberglass trailers? While acknowledging the advantages of fiberglass, you bought a "not cheap" fir framed and aluminum sided sticky? What is the advantage of the unit you bought?
I think its the gaucho bed he's referring to, which is a sofa that folds down into a bed. I've not seen those in any common/current fiberglass campers. the stickies we saw with Gauchos were typically a 'walk around rear queen' configuration, that pretty much requires an 8' wide trailer, most FG are narrower than that.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:38 PM   #55

Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I think its the gaucho bed he's referring to, which is a sofa that folds down into a bed....
So a gaucho bed is kind of like a futon?

Harold
Old 09-16-2019, 03:45 PM   #56

In the all-molded world, a gaucho bed starts as a 'sofa', the back flips up to create bunk beds. It's popular in 13' Scamps.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:56 PM   #57

Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
In the all-molded world, a gaucho bed starts as a 'sofa', the back flips up to create bunk beds. It's popular in 13' Scamps.
Thanks Donna.... much clearer now.