SoCal Scamp Wannabe - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2024, 11:47 AM   #1

Name: Artie
Trailer: currently shopping
California
Question SoCal Scamp Wannabe

Hi, all.
I've had a variety of trailers my adult life, and since I'm at the 3/4 of a century mark, I feel it's time to move from an Aliner to something I can just open the door and step into without unfolding.
That said, I've been looking at 13 ft models of Happier Camper, MeerKat, and Scamp. Price wise, the Scamp seems to be my best bet, so I'd like to get some input from experienced Scamp owners.
What should I be looking at in terms of problems or potential issues, particularly in used vs new?
artie322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 12:34 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Biggest drawbacks of new are price- they're gotten expensive, weight- they've also gotten heavier, and distance- MN is a long way from CA and delivery is expensive. Plusses include the new flat door with conventional deadbolt latch and RV screen door, the ability to choose your own options, and now the availability of a composite floor. New ones have a 12V compressor fridge, which holds a stable temperature much better than the old propane units but requires shore power or solar/battery upgrade for off-grid use.

Scamp has a very generous deposit policy on new orders. A $500 deposit gets your order started, and it is fully refundable until they actually start building it. That should give you a few months to shop for a used unit, with the certainty that if you don't find one, a new one will be waiting for you.

Scamp also has a few new units on their website available for immediate purchase.

Used availability is limited these days, especially the 13'ers. The 3-way fridge on most used units is a plus if you camp much without hookups. Biggest issue is the condition of the OSB subfloor. Underside is treated, but if there have been any neglected leaks from above, there can be rot from the top. Inspect and probe carefull inside all the lower benches and cabinets. The rubber torsion axle has a working lifespan of 20 years or so. There were some issues with the black door hinges on 2018-2020 models. Early hinges were cast aluminum and had a high failure rate. They switched to steel, and steel replacements are available if you find one that still has aluminum (check with a magnet). Other than that it's pretty straightforward RV stuff you can inspect and test.

Whichever route you go, I think a Scamp will be a great upgrade from your A-liner. We were looking for a small tent trailer 11 years ago when we scored a lightly used 13' Scamp layout 1. It's not as roomy as the tent trailer would have been for our family of 4, but it's SO much more comfortable and easy to set up.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp