Soon to be owner of a new L'air Camper (Trillium Heritage 4500) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-29-2021, 03:33 PM   #21

Name: Roelof
Trailer: Trillium Heritage 4500
Ontario
Thanks Bill,
I’m going to take a boo at the video Alex sent to me and try to sort this out. Jim at L’air Trailer Co. has said I have plenty of time to decide.
Cheers,

Roelof
Roelof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:24 PM   #22

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have now watched all the videos regarding the L'air Trilliums. A few apparent differences between the original 4500, and theirs.

Things I would miss:
- No below floor water tank, (less storage space).
- No bin in the bottom of the closet. I use this for trash, but I also like the access to the space under the closet.
- Windows. Very hard to top the original jalousie windows.
- No doors on the overhead shelves.

Things I think they could have done better:
- The vent fan hangs too low.
- The marine vinyl on the walls is poorly installed, (is it as insulating as Ensolite?).
- 13" Wheels.
- Edge finish detail on both fibreglass and wood.
- No obvious electrical plan, (where are the breakers?).
- No mention of brakes anywhere.
- Too much wood used.

Things I think are an improvement:
- The upper bunk is narrower, with a better fall restraint.
- The belly band will not need to be repaired.
- The drawers in the kitchen.
- The window shades / screens.
- Better matched axle capacity.
- Welded frame vs. bent.

Questions:
What does the grey tank look like? Where is it?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:20 PM   #23

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
you don't need dual GC batts to boondock if you don't need a lot of electricity AND you have solar. my Casita had a single lead acid group 27M, and I had a 100W Renogy solar suitcase with an extension cord I could plug in (using powerpole pp30 connectors and 12 gauge wire). i had all LED ligthing inside and out (not the driving lights, those are powered by the vehicle), water pump, and the only real other use was either ventilation fan or furnace fan. I use 12V to USB chargers for my phone and other gadgets.

before going to bed, I'd aim the solar panel SW at the morning sun, and most days, the trailer was fully charged by 10 or 11am.

solar panel at far left....

2017-11-11 11:42am in the Mojave desert
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 03:47 AM   #24

Ontario
Hello John, from Santa Cruz,

I really appreciate your input.

Our situation is that we are new to this and will be living in the trailer full-time and boon-docking whenever possible.

So, I sort of need to become the Amazing Kreskin in order to predict our power needs at this stage. I wish to have a battery system in place that suits our needs right from the get go. An ounce of prevention ...

We have a fridge which, unless I am mistaken, will draw power continuously?

We also have a hot water heater (with pump, I presume), fan, furnace, and the lights are LED.

I hope that there is some sort of "breaker panel" so that I can shut off appliances that are not required and thus not burn through power unnecessarily.

This is the kit that comes with the trailer:

Progressive Dynamics PD9245C (Which the builder has advised will not charge a Lithium Iron battery.)

Renogy
2000W 12V PURE SINE WAVE INVERTER

Solar panel(s)--305 watts (total)
Old 04-30-2021, 06:33 AM   #25

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Hopefully you got the optional propane, otherwise, not boondock capable. Must have propane furnace, cooktop and hot water heater.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:35 AM   #26
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Things I would miss:
- No below floor water tank, (less storage space).

I agree. Below the floor if the tank leaks, the plywood floor is safe

- Windows. Very hard to top the original jalousie windows.

I don't think they are available. Happier Camper has switched to acrylic. While I don't think they will last as long, they are simpler, and there are opening windows on four sides that appear to open wide enough for good air flow.

- No doors on the overhead shelves.

My 2010 doesn't have those either.

Things I think they could have done better:

- Too much wood used.

yes, get rid of the plywood floor

And no propane fridge option. If you camp in the shade then your battery might last a day.
All that said, it looks like an improvement over the previous attempts. Judging by the shape of the body below the doors, it appears they are using the same molds or new molds derived from the molds used to make my 2010.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:57 AM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
LifePO4 is the way to go

For full timing in your relatively compact trailer, unless you are following the sun every day, LifePO4 batteries is the best solution. I would install two LifePO4 100 amp hour batteries (25 lbs each) inside or on the tongue, and install a shore power converter and solar charge controller that are designed to charge LifePO4 batteries. Consider:

- furnace drawing 4 amps running 50% of the time and/or compressor fridge drawing 4 amps running 33% of the time
- 2000 watt inverter drawing up to 83 amps depending on what you have plugged in

EDIT: The alternative:

- lower capacity, lower charge rate lead acid batteries
- MUCH smaller inverter used only occasionally
- propane fridge
- don't count on the furnace running for more than one or two cloudy days!
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:28 AM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The real question in my mind is why the large inverter? What 110V equipment do you plan to run?

You’re looking at a lot of solar and a big inverter. That does point to needing a lot of battery, too. You can save yourself a whole lot of money if you carefully evaluate whether you really need all that power. So far I don’t see anything in your equipment list that requires an inverter or more than 100-150W of solar and a single large 12V battery.

If you’re just worried about keeping your (presumably 12V) fridge going through a cloudy spell, a small 1000W inverter generator is a fairly inexpensive back-up recharging system. Some can be converted to propane if you don’t want to carry gasoline.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:43 AM   #29
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The real question in my mind is why the large inverter? What 110V equipment do you plan to run?

You’re looking at a lot of solar and a big inverter. That does point to needing a lot of battery, too. You can save yourself a whole lot of money if you carefully evaluate whether you really need all that power. So far I don’t see anything in your equipment list that requires an inverter or more than 100-150W of solar and a single large 12V battery.

If you’re just worried about getting through a cloudy spell, a small 1000W inverter generator is a fairly inexpensive back-up recharging system. Some can be converted to propane if you don’t want to carry gasoline.
There is the optional microwave.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:49 AM   #30

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
There is the optional microwave.
I didn't see that mentioned, but I did see water heater and furnace mentioned, which means propane. That's good for boondocking, but doesn't explain the out-sized inverter. In fact, none of it requires an inverter at all.

But I guess you jest.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:57 AM   #31

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
I didn't see that mentioned, but I did see water heater and furnace mentioned, which means propane. That's good for boondocking, but doesn't explain the out-sized inverter. In fact, none of it requires an inverter at all.

But I guess you jest.
It appears they also have an electric furnace and water heater option. Not crystal clear on the website.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:59 AM   #32

Ontario
Thank you everyone for your replies. You have given my much to consider.
Old 04-30-2021, 10:11 AM   #33

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
- 2000 watt inverter drawing up to 83 amps depending on what you have plugged in
To make 2000 watts with 12 VDC will take 167 amps, ignoring inverter losses, (196 amps if inverter is 85% efficient) . A standard 120 Ahr battery, which should not be drawn down more than 60 Ahr, (50%) should not be used to run this inverter, at full capacity, more than 18 minutes. If using two golf cart batteries, this would effectively double the operating time.

I also plan to install a 700 watt microwave in my trailer. It is reasonable to assume that this will draw about 1000 watts, (I looked it up). Also inverters say that they run at a 90% efficiency, let’s go with 85%. So my 700 watt microwave will draw, (1000W / 12VDC) / .85 = 98 Amps from my battery. Back to that 120 Ahr battery, (which is what I have). I should not run the microwave more than about 37 minutes. This is assuming that the battery was fully charged when I start.

It should be noted that inverters draw power, even when not being used. This stand by draw is why inverters frequently have a remote power switch that allows the user to easily turn it off, when not in use.
Old 04-30-2021, 10:25 AM   #34

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
All that said, it looks like an improvement over the previous attempts. Judging by the shape of the body below the doors, it appears they are using the same molds or new molds derived from the molds used to make my 2010.
Agreed. I think this is the best Trillium clone yet. They just need to work on finnishing the edges, and getting the liner smoother.
Old 04-30-2021, 10:34 AM   #35
Raz

Quote:

But I guess you jest.
Yes and no. The inverter, panels, etc. are offered as a kit perhaps sized to power the optional microwave.
Old 04-30-2021, 10:35 AM   #36
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Agreed. I think this is the best Trillium clone yet. They just need to work on finnishing the edges, and getting the liner smoother.

And add a propane fridge option for those that want to boondock.
Old 04-30-2021, 11:00 AM   #37

Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
So far I don’t see anything in your equipment list that requires an inverter or more than 100-150W of solar and a single large 12V battery.

If you’re just worried about keeping your (presumably 12V) fridge going through a cloudy spell, a small 1000W inverter generator is a fairly inexpensive back-up recharging system. Some can be converted to propane if you don’t want to carry gasoline.
A "cloudy spell" in northern latitudes may continue for many days during fall, winter and spring. Also, in summer there may be heavy tree coverage. To the point that at times the large 12 volt battery has for me been insufficient, only lasting 2 to 3 days. The full timer must consider alternatives: a second battery or a generator or hitch up and drive to a sunnier place.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 11:16 AM   #38

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Here's solar at one of my favourite spots, in July/August.
Attached Thumbnails
Solar canopy Skagit.jpg  
Old 05-12-2021, 08:31 AM   #39

Name: Storm
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Quebec
Hello!
I've just discovered about L'Air Camper, and wanted to know if any of the people who ordered one in that thread got theirs?

Cheers!
chemicalstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:21 PM   #40

Name: Michelle
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Update

Hello new to this forum. We currently own a 91’ 13 foot Scamp but am interested in the L’air Heritage line. Can you update us on yours now that you’ve had it for a few months. How is the quality and have you had any problems with customer service? I am echoing some of the concerns made by a few of the others that there’s just not much out there in terms of reviews yet. The price is quite reasonable though.
Michelle in Michigan
msrisley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
l'air, trillium