Soon to be owner of a new L'air Camper (Trillium Heritage 4500) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2021, 01:45 PM   #1

Name: Nathan
Trailer: L'air
Ontario
Soon to be owner of a new L'air Camper (Trillium Heritage 4500)

Hello all,

Hi my name is Nate in the Kitchener-Waterloo area (Ontario, Canada). We will be acquiring our new L'air camper trailer as of April 2021. We are a family of four with 2 kids ages 9 and 6.

Our big plans are to travel through western Canada and the US in the summer of 2022.

We are new to camper trailers and I've enjoyed reading up on some tips/stories on this site.

Nate in KW
Nate in KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:54 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Nate congratulations on your L'air!! We've enjoyed our vintage 4500 and I'm sure you will enjoy your L'air.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:51 PM   #3
Hil

Name: Hilary
Trailer: looking
Ontario
I am going to look at their campers this week. How have they been to deal with as a business so far?
Hil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:43 AM   #4

Name: Pascal
Trailer: L'air Camper - Heritage Trillium 1300
QC
Hi Nate! I'm soon to be owner too! We're a family of 3 with a young baby. We live in Quebec, close to Ottawa. We're also planning for a trip in the West for 2022. We started a group on FB for the new owners of L'air Heritage Trillium. Feel free to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/467362324287051

Hil, I'm very happy with the service I've had so far with Jim at L'air Camper. I feel confident that my trailer will satisfy my needs. Ordering from them was a bit risky at first, because nobody owns one yet! It's a risk I'm willing to take as there are no real alternatives around here other than buying a 15 000$ used Trillium with still work to do on it! L'air give significant discounts for the first customer.
skarybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:09 PM   #5
Hil

Ontario
L'air camper

Has anyone dealt with Jim Ashton before? He is the owner of the new L'air Campers. Just wondering if anyone in the USA or elsewhere has heard of this guy? Just doing some digging
Old 02-25-2021, 09:23 AM   #6

Ontario
What skarybat said! Been a great experience so far. Jim is helpful and answers my questions promptly. He recently put up promo videos on YouTube about the new L'air trailers.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:13 AM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Initial buyers are getting a nice discount for the risk they are taking. Thats a fair trade off. Post production issues and any possible problem resolution is the key to their growth.

To those that are going first, all the best with your purchase. We always need more choices in this market.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:33 AM   #8

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Trillium Heritage 1300
Ontario
Hi there! I'm also looking at their campers. What options did you go with?
Looks like they made some great improvements with the 2021 models.
Northerngirl258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 01:06 PM   #9

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerngirl258 View Post
We went with bunk beds and many of the options but not the heating or water heater. Our delivery date is April 9.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:13 PM   #10
Hil

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerngirl258 View Post
Hey! I went with the 1300, bunk bed with Porta potty and propane stove. There are better after market heaters so I will assess my need for that. I skipped the awning option. I got the brakes because my minivan Manual.says I need them for anything over 1000lbs.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:14 PM   #11

Ontario
I found the FB group and it's been most helpful as well. The discounts for first time buyers is super! I also went with the electric brakes, so my Ram does not have to do all of the breaking on steep grades and long winding roads. Hot water heater, Furnace, outdoor shower, potti, additional solar, and 1000W inverter.
Scheduling a virtual walk through and will most likely commit.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:15 PM   #12
Hil

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate in KW View Post
We went with bunk beds and many of the options but not the heating or water heater. Our delivery date is April 9.
Tell us when you get it!
Old 03-19-2021, 01:20 PM   #13

Ontario
Yes! we want to see many photos!
Old 04-29-2021, 06:59 AM   #14

Name: Roelof
Trailer: Trillium Heritage 4500
Ontario
Hey Kate,

Congratulations! You must be stoked.

My partner and I just ordered a 4500 as well and I was wondering what battery(s) you decided to go with? We will be doing a lot of boondocking. We have a furnace, water heater, and fridge with solar panels. I am not sure if I need to invest in a very expensive Lithium-Ion or much cheaper, but substantially heavier 2x6-volt golf cart batteries. The later option is of concern because I don't want to compromise the tongue weight. I would welcome your thoughts on the matter.
Cheers,

Roelof
Roelof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:19 PM   #15

Ontario
You're concerned that the deep cycle battery it comes with will be too heavy? and looking to change it?
Old 04-29-2021, 01:00 PM   #16

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
2 golf cart batteries on the tongue can add 100 pounds plus to the tongue weight unless there is no offsetting weight in the rear. The best way to mount the batteries, if you can, would be as close to the axle as possible. For lead acid this means you must have a sealed battery compartment vented to the outside. For Lithium Iron Phosphate you can mount them internally unvented(very low risk) or do the same as lead acid for the safest possible installation (almost no risk). I currently have an AGM battery mounted inside with no venting(very low risk).
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:17 PM   #17

Ontario
Hey Alex,
Thank you for your advice. I guess I am loath to keep batteries inside of the trailer as I covet all the space inside that I possibly can. Am I an outlier wishing to mount the battery(s) on the tongue? I was under the impression--perhaps erroneously-- that was where most folks kept it on such a small trailer.
Old 04-29-2021, 02:32 PM   #18

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
A lot of people mount batteries on the tongue. My concern was with making sure the additional tongue weight was thought about. Contrary to some opinions, you can have too much tongue weight and it can affect the handling of the trailer. Here is a link to a good video showing the physics of trailer weight placement:
https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...eavy-trailers/

Just another piece of the puzzle. Unfortunately in life there are very few simple answers.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:13 PM   #19

Ontario
Hey Alex,
Thank you for taking the time.
I will check out the link.
Old 04-29-2021, 03:16 PM   #20

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Hey Alex,
Thank you for your advice. I guess I am loath to keep batteries inside of the trailer as I covet all the space inside that I possibly can. Am I an outlier wishing to mount the battery(s) on the tongue? I was under the impression--perhaps erroneously-- that was where most folks kept it on such a small trailer.
I much prefer a battery on the tongue, both to save space inside the trailer, and make setting up portable solar so much easier.

Both my Trillium 1300 and my Escape 19 have tongue mounted batteries.

As always, get an actual certified weight on your trailer to make tongue weight is OK.

On my Trillium, there is limited room for batteries. So if I wanted more capacity, I'd go with a Lithium battery instead. I currently has a Group 29 single battery.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
l'air, trillium