Soon to be Scamp owner! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-07-2017, 07:02 AM   #1

Name: Karen
Trailer: Shopping for a Scamp
New York
Soon to be Scamp owner!

Hi, Everyone!

I have been shopping al Summer for a camper and nothing was working out. Then I serendipitously discovered Scamp trailers: I'm hooked! I'm actively looking to buy a 16' deluxe with as much sleeping area as humanly possible (I have four kids of various sizes!). Glad to be joining the fiberglass world!
ksuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #2

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I hope you find one soon!
I just found mine on Friday, though it's smaller, just for 2 people.
Keep us posted!
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:48 PM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Congrats on your decision. The longest those 4 kids will be in your life is only about 18 years (until they return after college). I bet several of yours have far fewer years remaining.

Don't waste time until you can find the "perfect" Scamp that sleeps six. Put one or two in a tent, on the floor, or in the tow vehicle, and get out there to start making memories. You won't regret it.

For an extra room check out screened rooms like CLAM screened rooms. Very reasonable compared to buying and towing a larger trailer.

Enjoy!

PS, be prepared to pounce within hours if you see one for sale.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:29 PM   #4

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Soon to be Scamp owner!

Karen,

After several happy years of Scamp13 ownership, we just upgraded to a Scamp16 Deluxe Layout A about 6 months ago. We went with the 16 Deluxe largely in order to have the same 54" wide main bed that we had in our Scamp13.

Although not advertised on their website, Wayne Pitlick (our Scamp13 salesman) had told us that Scamp will happily substitute (at no charge) the front sofa/bunk-beds for the normal front dinette that they usually put in a Layout A. (That change allows us to sleep a couple of grandkids in addition to my wife and I.)

We found out that sometimes the lead time for a Deluxe trailer can be significantly less than the lead time for a Standard/molded-fiberglass trailer. At least, that is how it worked out for us.

The side bathroom in a Layout A is not as large as the front bathroom in a Layout B, but my wife and I aren't overly large people and we don't spend that much time in there. (BTW - We did leave the sink out of the side bath that would normally be standard with the "options package". )

Along with more sleeping options, the Deluxe 16 Layout A seems to offer us more storage options for clothes, food, and gear. We also use one of the previously mentioned CLAM Quickset screen rooms (with 5-6 privacy panels) for added outdoor space and/or possible sleeping space.)

We are currently pretty happy with our Deluxe A and options choices.

If you talk to Wayne up at Scamp, tell him that Ray & Francie said "Hi!". [emoji4]

Best of luck in your search and decisions! [emoji4]

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:54 PM   #5

Name: Karen
Trailer: Shopping for a Scamp
New York
Wow, Thank you, everyone!

Thank you for all the information and support! I'm learning what to look for - I can see no matter what I get I'll probably need to do some renovations to make it "perfect" for us. I love the idea of the screened room off the awning side! Thanks for encouraging me to go for it- great points about the kids not getting younger. (They are 14, 11, 9, and 5 - so I figure we better get the Scamp now or we totally won't fit!)

Also, good point Ray about checking out new prices and wait times. I think I may do that tomorrow. I can see they keep their value, and I don't want to pay a lot for more work. Choices....

But happy ones!
ksuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:23 AM   #6

Missouri
Scamp will fully refund your $500 deposit right up until the day they start building your new trailer, so there would seem to be no harm in ordering a new one with exactly the features you want and continuing your search.

Since resale values remain very high on properly cared for trailers, there isn't a great financial risk (loss of $ from depreciation) in ordering new.

The biggest point in ordering new is trying to maximize your sleeping space options. (BTW - We once slept 5 for a couple of days in our Scamp13. I wriggled into the bottom bunk, our 12yo grandson slept on the top bunk, and my wife and 2 granddaughters (12yo & 10yo) slept in the 54" double bed.)

Here are links to the CLAM screen room:

Clam Corporation 9879 Quick-Set Escape Shelter, 140 x 140
-Inch, Brown/Beige https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TMBENDS..._K.yIzb306XVMM

https://youtu.be/6qHSO18qK18

Good luck! ☺

Ray
Old 08-08-2017, 07:31 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
As I see it, you have a number of choices to make. No molded fiberglass trailer has all you want: beds for 6 and a bathroom.

The bathroom is the hardest to add, so if that is non-negotiable I would choose a model with a bathroom. With Scamp, if all you need is a toilet, the side bath takes up less space and has beds for 4, but if you want a shower, too, the front bath is a lot more usable but has only 3 beds. Realistically, I don't see any way to pack all 6 in with a bathroom, no matter how much modification you do. So, you'll need a tent or the tow vehicle for the overflow. Both side bath and front bath configurations are commonly available in the used market.

If you let go of the bathroom, you have a few more options. Scamp's layout 7 sleeps 5 and you could probably fit one more on the floor. Casita's 17' Spirit standard sleeps 5-6 and has a wider main bed, but it may require a larger tow vehicle. Know that bunks are weight limited to around 100-120 pounds, so all except the little one may already be too big. The no-bath configurations are very rare in the used market, so ordering new may be your only option.

Alternatively, you could think about a tent trailer or a larger non-fiberglass travel trailer for now and downsize to the Scamp you really want later as the kids leave the nest.

One thing you haven't mentioned is what you plan to tow with. That may limit your options. With 6 people in the vehicle and, presumably, some cargo, the tow rating is reduced.

I spent my childhood traveling all over the country in a station wagon with a tent trailer. There were 6 of us, too. Great memories!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:14 AM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Keep an eye out for sales on the CLAM screen rooms. They aren't the cheapest, but they are superior. The one linked above has been seen on sale this season for about half the $285 it shows for here, although it was green, not brown.

Their claim to fame is quick easy umbrella-like set up by one person.

Consider getting several side panels, or they have a model with roll up flaps.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:24 PM   #9

Missouri
Karen,

Out of curiosity, what is your current/planned tow vehicle?

Will there be 2 adults and 4 kids or 1 adult and 4 kids?

You could probably sleep the 2 smallest kids head-to-toe on the bottom bunk, the next largest kid on the top bunk, and some mixture of 3 (adults + kids) in the 54" bed.

In case of really severe weather, 1 child might be able to sleep on a pallet on the floor of a 16D-A??

A tent/screen-room would probably be the best "normal" plan ... (for kids, a tent means "adventure" anyway &#128521 but in really severe weather, sleeping on the trailer floor or in the van/car might be an option?

Things might be tight/difficult but maybe not impossible. ?

Just some possible food for thought...

Good luck!

Ray

Tags
scamp