Sooo, funny story... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-06-2019, 08:14 PM   #1

Name: Brittany
Trailer: Bigfoot
Florida
Sooo, funny story...

So, I'm Brittany, an RN in my mid-30's.

I've always wanted to do travel nursing, so a couple of years ago the BF and I started looking into 'stickies' big enough for 2 adults and a 70 lb dog. I bought a big truck (RAM 2500 4x4) bc we were looking at 25-30 ft long. Well, the BF earned himself the boot (good riddance) and the dog fell unexpectedly ill and passed. Leaving one nurse going nowhere with a big truck and a bunch of vet bills.

Flash forward. New dog eventually, much smaller since I knew I wanted to travel. Started looking into trailers again, stumbled across the molded fiberglass and decided that's what I wanted. Just bought a (used) 21 ft Bigfoot (and am so excited I can hardly see straight).

So I now have a 4-door 3/4 ton truck with an 8 ft bed to tow a single female, a 20 lb dog and a 3600 lb trailer. Overkill or what?
Britt.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:44 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sooo, funny story...

Somewhat overkill, certainly. Pretty sure a B21 weighs a lot more than 3600# loaded, though. You can check out the “Trailer Weights in the Real World” thread in the General Chat section (post #297 links to a spreadsheet). I think there are a few B21’s in the database.

If the cost of the truck and gas is manageable, no reason not to keep it. A half ton, properly equipped could also do the job nicely.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:57 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Congratulations on the acquisition of the Big Foot, and starting your job/travel experience. When Paula graduated with her RN degree, I had desired to do some travel assignments, but constant change stressed her, so we did 30 years at the same hospital. I really regret getting rid of our Dodge 2500 cummins diesel, as it towed our 13’ Scamp without breaking a sweat, while getting 22 mpg. I had sold it as a set with the toy hauler and car trailer to a friend.
Welcome to the FGRV forum family, and Happy Trails.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:47 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
As others have said, that trailer will weigh more than 3600 pounds. More like 4500 pounds or more. I suggest you load the trailer for a trip with a full water tank and weigh the trailer. You may want to keep your current TV after all. Sounds like you have a great trailer.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:36 AM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
You can get up and over the mountains with that truck. If you like it keep it.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:19 AM   #6

Name: Brittany
Florida
ACK! Sorry, everybody! I meant 3600# dry. Literally JUST got it, so I haven't actually loaded it up yet.

I probably will keep the TV, I've just been giggling over the idea of this HUGE truck (I had to get running boards bc I was having to climb in and jump out, and it is too long to fit in my garage) with a 10K tow rating pulling this little light weight trailer.

Thanks for the advice and welcome, everyone! I'm very pleased to meet you all!
Old 06-07-2019, 04:15 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sooo, funny story...

Turns out there’s only one B21 in the database. Could be an outlier, but it weighs over 6000# loaded.

3/4T is nice. 4x4 is good to have. But 4 doors and an 8’ bed... is an absolute beast to park. An extended cab short bed would be more practical.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:11 AM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Congrats, Brittany. This bf (bigfoot) should be less problematic than the old bf. Good trade.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:40 AM   #9
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Congratulations Brittany and welcome to the forum! We also have overkill with our truck as we're only pulling a Snoozy. But the truck is also a good work horse around the house pulling a couple different utility trailers and a pontoon boat! Our truck just barely fits in our garage!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:58 AM   #10

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
The truck is definitely overkill. Im sure you are aware that the beast will be your main transportation in whatever city you end up in. If it was my problem I'd sell it now as that would be a hot item this time of year for someone who wants to haul a 40 foot 5th wheel with 3 tip outs lol.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:30 AM   #11

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Britt. P: good story, interesting, but just wasn't what I'd call "funny." Definitely good to have a plenty big enough TV for your venture, both towing and hauling in the bed as well...wishing you and the new little guy best good luck!

"K"
Old 06-07-2019, 11:34 AM   #12

Name: GG
Illinois
Britt. Congrats on Bigfoot purchase. We expected to buy a previously owned Bigfoot 21' but the sale didn't materialize. Instead we ended up with Bigfoot 25' with front storage box. We tow with a Ford F-150 3.5L EcoBoost V6. While it does the job (just) we wish we had something larger. MUCH better to go bigger with your tow vehicle. Enjoy!
Recycle...ride your bike again.
oldsgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:59 PM   #13

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Dry weights from manufacturers aren’t what most people would consider dry (no water and no personal stuff). Dry weight also excludes any options your trailer might have: awning, AC, etc. and typically doesn’t include batteries or propane either.

Fortunately you have plenty of capacity regardless.

21 foot BF is a nice choice for full timing!
Old 06-07-2019, 06:16 PM   #14

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt.P. View Post

I've always wanted to do travel nursing, so a couple of years ago the BF and I started looking into 'stickies' big enough for 2 adults and a 70 lb dog. I bought a big truck (RAM 2500 4x4) bc we were looking at 25-30 ft long. Well, the BF earned himself the boot (good riddance) and the dog fell unexpectedly ill and passed. Leaving one nurse going nowhere with a big truck and a bunch of vet bills.

Flash forward. New dog eventually, much smaller since I knew I wanted to travel. Started looking into trailers again, stumbled across the molded fiberglass and decided that's what I wanted. Just bought a (used) 21 ft Bigfoot (and am so excited I can hardly see straight).

So I now have a 4-door 3/4 ton truck with an 8 ft bed to tow a single female, a 20 lb dog and a 3600 lb trailer. Overkill or what?
Overkill is better than not enough power. If you go up a steep mountain pass you'll be happy to have the extra power. Also maybe you'll want to get a different trailer someday and you can get anything you want. We've seen accidents that were real bad because the trailer was to much for the truck causing the driver to not be able to correct a problem. Just because a truck is rated for a certain weight and will tow it doesn't mean it is the safest. We tow our 17' Casita with a GMC Yukon XL. It is basically what you have in a truck in length. Yes it is a beast to drive but in the snow it's great and going up mountains it does very well. Keep your truck since you are happy with it. We used to have a smaller Trailblazer and felt like sometimes the trailer was driving the TV. I love the bigger than needed TV and feel much safer.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:39 PM   #15

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Congrats! Have fun out there!
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:56 AM   #16

California
Quote:
ACK! Sorry, everybody! I meant 3600# dry. Literally JUST got it, so I haven't actually loaded it up yet.

I probably will keep the TV, I've just been giggling over the idea of this HUGE truck (I had to get running boards bc I was having to climb in and jump out, and it is too long to fit in my garage) with a 10K tow rating pulling this little light weight trailer.

Thanks for the advice and welcome, everyone! I'm very pleased to meet you all!

Adding my 'welcome' in. What year trailer? Where did you get the 3600# number from? My 2018 21RB has a dry weight of 4553# listed on the specs, and ended up weighing much more than that unloaded (5380#)
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:10 PM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Britt,

It's always better to have too much truck, than not enough.

The Rams are very stable when towing and have excellent brakes. Does yours have the built in brake controller and the factory 7 pin plug? If so, you are all set. What year?

I certainly would not sell that truck until I at least tried it out with your trailer.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #18

Name: Maria
GA
Yay! It all sounds so exciting. The BFs are awesome.
Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:37 AM   #19

Name: Jane
Trailer: Casita 17' 2008 SD
California
Quote:

Don’t ever worry about power... better too much than too little. I pull a 17’ Casita (2400 lbs) with an F-150 equipped with the big duel-turbine 6, and I never worry about hills! Good luck with the traveling nursing. Great way to see the country.
ellen95616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:02 PM   #20

Name: Maria
GA
Hell, I tow a 17' Casita SD with an F-250. Hahaha! It's what we have.
Maria is offline   Reply With Quote