Southern Alberta - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #1

Name: Lethbridge
Trailer: 13' Boler
Alberta
Southern Alberta

Just got a 13' Boler. Still don't know the year yet (it wasn't registered by the previous owner)

I have already;
- scrubbed the interior (simple green, bleach, rinse)
- pressure washed the exterior
- got lights working
- stripped the old cushion covers (looking at having custom ones sewn)
- verified aftermarket fridge is working on 120V and 12V

Tomorrow
- check and re-grease wheel bearings

Plans
- find serial number and year
- check propane lines to fridge and stove
- cushion covers remade or order new ones
- find and replace little window in door (it is broken, mount and all)
- find leaky windows (over the winter), probably replace plexiglass ones
- add mount on front to hold 2 propane bottles and 12V battery (ideas??)
- bike rack on rear for 2 adult bikes??

Most importantly GO CAMPING THIS WEEKEND as it is.
davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis View Post
Most importantly GO CAMPING THIS WEEKEND as it is.
GOOD FOR YOU! That's what it's all about. Make tons of memories and post pictures when you can.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:43 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Great to have another Alberta Boler, your story sounds exactly the way ours started .... I have a door window, lever style from my 1974 that should be the same. My son is returning to U of L in a week and could bring it down if you like.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #4

Alberta
Ian that would be awesome. It sounds the exact same.
My email is davis5@shaw.ca, when you email me I will give you all the contact info.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #5

Alberta
I CAN NOT find any serial number anywhere. I have scoured the whole hitch assembly, I think it has been re-welded and repaired over where the serial number was. I will have to register it as a homemade.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #6

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I saw your comments in another post and rather than hijack that thread I'll pass on some observations of mine here.

There may be some who will comment on powering the fridge using the relatively small lighting wires. I commented that I use 10 gage and others commented that they thought that was too light Just a heads up in case someone comments on the wiring

The fridge works really well on propane. When stopped and not using 110 most people find propane works much better than using a lot of 12V power. Try it on propane, you might find that it's much easier than killing and recharging the battery.

I see that you already have a 20# tank. They go a long, long way. Unless you're planning on doing a lot of cold weather camping using the furnace I'd hold off on a 2nd tank.

Great before and after pressure washing photo. Have fun with it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Nice little find! Hope you get it out for camping soon!

I am with Ron, I would put the need for a second tank on the trailer on hold - I have done a number of 3-4 weeks trips using the propane for the stove, hot water tank as well as running the fridge for about 50% of the time on propane, and occasionally the furnace as needed and one 20lb tank will often last through the whole trip. The furnace is the one big propane eater as well as battery power eater.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:02 PM   #8

Alberta
That is perfect THANK YOU, I will not evenlook at a second tank, I can't se m going through it that quick

As to the 12V off my tow vehicle while driving, do you think it is best to run a thicker gauge wire to the connector? That can be done quite easy since I will be towing it with my VW Camper and it has a battery in the rear corner. It won't be hard to run a larger wire direct, but the wire to the fridge is only 12 gauge I think????

I actually don't even have a furnace in there (unless it is hidden) lol. I assume one of the previous owners removed it.

I will run off shore power electric heat if needed, and if "back country" camping I will use extra blanket for now
Old 08-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Davis, as you have already heard most of the older fridges that many of us have draw so much power on DC they will drain your trailer battery down *very* fast and many peoples cars are not able to even keep up with the battery draw down even while driving. In regards to what to upgrade your wiring to I will leave someone with more knowledge that me as I just dont use the fridge on DC - even on real long drive days. I just start the fridge up about 24 hours before headed out and once it cools down I make sure everything I put in the fridge is already cold when it goes in & dont over fill it - the old fridges do not work well if they are stuffed full. I freeze water in a couple of old plastic milk containers at home and stick them in the fridge just before leaving - it works well at keeping things in the fridge cool if you do not open the door and you will eventually end up with extra drinking water with you. If you have a freezer put a couple of freezer packs in it so you can use those as well once the milk jugs thaw out - just stick them in beside the important items such as milk etc. & just refreeze them when you get to the next campsite A small fridge fan can be found at Camping World which sits inside the bottom of the fridge - it helps keep it cool as well.

If you are planning on doing a lot of back country camping - replacing the bulbs in your old lights to LED will help you out *a lot* in regards to battery usage and little head lamps to use at night for reading etc are another good thing to have on hand.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:26 AM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Davis,

The large wire to your 7 blade connector is a good idea, that way when your trailer battery requires charging, the larger wire will help. If you fridge is the standard 3 way the heater is about 200 watts. That would be about 17A at 12VDC. #12 wire is good for 20A.
The wire from your battery should be matched up to the current capacity of your 7 blade connector. I have heard rumours of higher capacity connectors. Be sure to size the fuse to match the wire. The wire from your connector on the trailer side should match as well.

BTW. That is the cutest picture of child labour I have ever seen.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote