Starting out with Bigfoot Class C - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2019, 11:43 AM   #1

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ)
Starting out with Bigfoot Class C

I'm Phil Ruffin from north Texas. I'm planning to pick up my 2008 Bigfoot Class C soon and driving from Oregon to Texas. It apparently doesn't have any hoses or adapters, so I'm trying to get them ordered and sent there for the initial trip instead of having to pay the dealer prices.
I'm sure I should get water hose (heated) and sewer line. What power adapters might be necessary?
What suggestions do you have? Anybody have a list?
Thanks!
Phil Ruffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:29 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
If I was making that trip, which I've done. I would stay in Rest areas, Walmart parking lots, etc. Therefore wouldn't need any kind of hook-ups. If you plan on taking a lot time and go to RV resorts, you might need or should I say want a couple of things. These are maybe need things,

a drain hose with connectors
A white fresh water hose (be sure it's marked for drinking water) You wont need a heated water hose, if you go the warmer way, south on I-5 to Bakersfield CA then east onI-10.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:39 PM   #3
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Welcome Phil and happy adventures!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:49 PM   #4

Connection essentials

The RV dealer offers a starter kit with water hose, sewer line, toilet paper, tank additive and so on. I figure those are the cheap versions, and they probably would not last very long. I plan to do this for the long haul, so I'm ordering good quality items instead.
Heated 5/8" 25' water hose
Heavy duty sewer line
25' 12 gauge extension cord
Bacteria based additive
Coreless septic toilet paper
Electric adapter 120v to 30amp

Should I have a 50amp to 30amp adapter?

This unit has some kind of compressor-based suspension. Does that serve to level the unit, or should I have leveling boards?

Any other suggestions?
Old 01-24-2019, 04:02 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You don't need "RV toilet paper". Most any TP is "septic safe".

Just ensure that the black tank has enough liquid in it and use Odorlos in your black and grey tanks.

Never leave the black tank drain open at camp. You will end up with a poop pyramid because of the lack of liquid. Only dump when full.
Attached Thumbnails
Cascades TP.png   odor.jpg  

Old 01-24-2019, 04:49 PM   #6

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I don't like Odorlos, it doesn't eliminate odours completely. The cheap blue stuff from walmart RV department works the best for me.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:20 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Phil; we have seen only one Class C Bigfoot. It was in the site next to us about 5 years ago in the Jekyll Island campground. The owner goes by the name "campervan Kevin. He has you tube videos and a Facebook page. His Bigfoot is a rare (so he says) garage model. I think that's what he called it. Visited with him for a while, nice guy. Enjoy your new Bigfoot, safe travels.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:34 PM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I would NOT get a 25 foot 12 gauge extension cord. If your rig has a 30 amp connection, then I would get a 30 amp RV extension cord.

If your rig is 30AMP, then yes, I would get a male 50 to female 30 RV adapter and a male 15 to female 30 RV adapter as well. 90% of the time, I have no problem getting the right amperage at a campground, but the other 10% I need one or the other adapter.

I would make sure dealership did a proper and thorough winterization of the rig, as you will need to keep it winterized for part of your trip. I would also want to know exactly what they did to winterize it as you are going to need to flush it well once you get in a warmer climate. Of course, depends where you live in TX, northern TX you may leave it winterized the entire trip. Regardless, I would want to know how the rig was winterized and how they recommend flushing it. If it has the original manual, it should be spelled out there, but there is no guarantee dealer followed that method.

Don't overlook the mechanical side of the rig either. You are talking an 11 year old motorhome. Many motorhomes have very low miles on them for the age, this is not always a good thing! Low miles often means hasn't been maintained either. Old tires, old battery, could need oil change, air filter, fuel filter and so on. And Bigfoot may not have done a very good job on keeping tires fresh. So an 11 year old motorhome could have 12 or 13 year old tires on it. Check the date codes! If the tires are old, I would stop at the tire store of your liking and get new tires. Better to spend some money on tires than to have a blow out on the road somewhere.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:12 PM   #9

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
If I was making that trip, which I've done. I would stay in Rest areas, Walmart parking lots, etc. Therefore wouldn't need any kind of hook-ups. If you plan on taking a lot time and go to RV resorts, you might need or should I say want a couple of things. These are maybe need things,

a drain hose with connectors
A white fresh water hose (be sure it's marked for drinking water) You wont need a heated water hose, if you go the warmer way, south on I-5 to Bakersfield CA then east onI-10.
:just so you know the drive down I5 is a piece of crap, they work on it from Bellingham to way past Tacoma then the construction eases off but the HWY in itself is crap. Also you might want a set of Chains because if there is snow on the ground and looks like more on the way in the southern Washington area and northern California you might need them and not only that you could get nailed for not having them.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:55 PM   #10

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
Staying at rest stops and Wal-Mart parking lots aren't exactly quiet. There's always big rigs running their engines all night long. Don't know about you, but I can't sleep through them. And, I swear, they take special delight in pulling up next to an RV and hitting their airbrakes or whatever it is that's also very noisy.

I'd much rather pay for a spot where I can usually get lots better sleep. As well as hookups, which you'll need at some point.

A heated water hose will only work if the campground has the water turned on, which it may not as the pipes themselves could very well freeze as they're not insulated. And those hoses are *expensive*!

There's several different brands of sewer hoses. I forget which brand I'm currently using (has orange hook-up sections). I've got them in several different lengths as I've needed longer hoses at some sites. It's also handy to have a very clear adapter at the end where it shoves down the sewer pipe. I originally had an off-white one and it was hard to see what was going on (ie: when it was through dumping). The completely clear one makes it lots easier.

I also use one of those slinky things that hold the sewer hose up off the ground. I didn't have one at first and I got real tired of picking the stupid hose up off the ground to make sure it drained properly.

I also have a small plastic folding seat/step that I sit on when hooking up the hose so I don't have to bend over all the time. Kills my gut to bend over too much. And don't forget some disposable gloves for this particular chore!

I have a 30 to 50 amp adapter, but I've never had to use it. But it's still in the trailer, just in case.

What I've found is really nice for water hook ups is the Hose Grip - love that thing. I could never get the water on tight enough until I sprung for that puppy.

https://rvcablegrip.com/Hose-Grip.html

I'm sure there are plenty of discussions on this forum over what type of tank additives everyone uses and likes. I use Tank Tech RX. I also use regular, Costco TP that goes in a black plastic bag and not down the toilet. Don't have to deal or worry about any paper pyramids that way! And the tank doesn't fill up as quickly.

For water hoses you'll probably want different lengths, as again I've needed to connect two or use a longer one due to where the faucet is. One place it was at the next site and there was a lot of grass in between the two sites. I had to use a 25 and I think a 10 or 15 foot hoses.

I also use garden hose quick connectors as I don't have the strength to hook up hoses tight enough that they don't leak. Love these!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And one of these 45 degree elbow connections - I can (more or less) easily screw this into the water connection on the trailer and then use the quick connectors to attach the hose. I have the quick connects also hooked to the water pressure regulator and the Hose Grip. Everywhere!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This might be more information than you need, but there you are! Good luck with the drive. I went from Seattle to Houston last year, however I went along the Oregon Coast and down into CA via 101 and then cut over to the Sacramento area. Took 99 down and then jogged over to northern AZ/NM and upper Texas before dropping down through Fredericksburg. Not sure I'd want to take parts of those trips during the winter. I'm a weenie when it comes to driving in snow and/or ice.

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:28 PM   #11

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
Wow, so much good advice. This forum has the most generous folks I've ever come across. And that would be why I keep coming back for answers to my often-stupid questions.

I have to admit I'm jealous of your Class C, Phil. I don't know about the rest of the country, but here in Oregon they're rare indeed. At least along the coast where I live. They always turn heads, and rightfully so.

Re: TP -- I saw a YouTube video on how to test if just regular TP would be suitable for RVs. Simply tear off 2-3 sheets of regular TP, place them in a jar filled with water (quart Mason jars are good), shake the jar briskly for several seconds, and if the paper falls apart into small pieces (shreds), it's OK to use in your RV. I've never had a problem if I "test" a new brand first.

Happy Trails, and the very best of good luck and adventure!

P.S. What part of Oregon are you traveling to?
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:17 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev in Oregon View Post
Simply tear off 2-3 sheets of regular TP, place them in a jar filled with water (quart Mason jars are good), shake the jar briskly for several seconds, and if the paper falls apart into small pieces (shreds), it's OK to use in your RV.

No need to go to those lengths. Just read the label. I know, nobody reads the TP label, but take a moment. "Safe for septic and sewer systems".
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-01-26 at 8.14.59 PM.jpg  
Old 01-27-2019, 12:53 AM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
No need to go to those lengths. Just read the label. I know, nobody reads the TP label, but take a moment. "Safe for septic and sewer systems".
I've never read a label on the TP package for specs. I've always stocked any of the RVs I've had with whatever brand was being used at the house. Maybe I was just lucky not experiencing any RV TP problems.....being the family was 3 females and dear old Dad.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:41 PM   #14

EV_in_Oregon: I'm going to Gib's RV in Coos Bay.

Thanks for all the answers. The salesman is holding several Amazon boxes for me and another stack should be waiting at Walmart.
We are tentatively going through Hawthorne, NV; Williams, AZ; and Santa Rosa, NM. We MAY stop over at the south rim of the Grand Canyon, but it's going to be cold.

We use Chromecast devices on our TVs at home for a few reasons. I want to use one of the TVs in the RV to watch a Netflix show if we have time, but we won't have Wi-Fi, at least for now. I'm going to try using my phone's hotspot and casting to the Chromecast from it. Has anyone tried that? I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:18 PM   #15

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
[QUOTE=Phil Ruffin;731608]EV_in_Oregon: I'm going to Gib's RV in Coos Bay.

I live about a 2-hr drive south of Coos Bay. Gib's has a fine reputation in the area, plus the fact they've been in business a l-o-n-g time, which tells you something.
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:20 PM   #16

Home!

We did make it back home, but two days later than planned. I clearly chose the wrong route. We ended up in two snowstorms, once stranded on a mountain, dry camped in a gas station parking lot. All ended well. We even took a side trip through Petrified Forest National Park.
Using my hotspot to Chromecast was only useful once, until I ran out of data. I'll have to rethink that.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:05 AM   #17

Name: Max
Trailer: In the market
New York
Works well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Ruffin View Post
EV_in_Oregon: I'm going to Gib's RV in Coos Bay.

Thanks for all the answers. The salesman is holding several Amazon boxes for me and another stack should be waiting at Walmart.
We are tentatively going through Hawthorne, NV; Williams, AZ; and Santa Rosa, NM. We MAY stop over at the south rim of the Grand Canyon, but it's going to be cold.

We use Chromecast devices on our TVs at home for a few reasons. I want to use one of the TVs in the RV to watch a Netflix show if we have time, but we won't have Wi-Fi, at least for now. I'm going to try using my phone's hotspot and casting to the Chromecast from it. Has anyone tried that? I'll let you know how it goes.
Yes. I use my phone's hotspot all the time. Works well untill you run out of your data lol but yeah no issues with the cast
shrekkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:57 PM   #18

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Walmart has decent RV water hose and the very good Camco Rhino Flex dump hose. Not worth ordering them.

Charles

Tags
bigfoot